Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my LAN I have a desktop PC and a laptop both running Windows 10 Pro. I also have two MacBook Pros, one older one running High Sierra 10.13.6, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by silvanet_1, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN

On my LAN I have a desktop PC and a laptop both running Windows 10 Pro. I also have two MacBook Pros, one older one running High Sierra 10.13.6, the newer one on Catalina 10.16.7.

Both of the Macs have exactly the same network settings, well except for their IP and MAC addresses.

Both the Macs have no problem connecting to the PCs on the LAN. I'll focus on just the desktop, because it is wired to the router. Everything else on the LAN connects via WiFi.

As I am checking this now, the two Macs are connecting on the same WiFi.

I can simply go to Finder, Go, Connect to Server, type in the smb network address to the pc, and voila, I can access all the folders I have shared on the PC.

Both Macs can just as easily connect to each other and access shared folders.

I can ping both Macs from the PC, and vice versa ping the PC from both Macs, of course, since they both easily connect and share folders.

When I try to connect from the PC to the Macs, I open the File Explorer and type the Macs IP addresses in the address bar preceded by the \\.

As you know, the PC pops up a dialog asking for user and password to access the files on the LAN Macs.

Let me be clear, I know my username and passwords for both Macs and for the PC.

On the older Mac, I type in my username and password and after a delay get access to the Mac folders I've shared with the PC.

For the newer Mac, first, the PC has a heck of a time dealing with its IP address this is even though it pings it almost instantly. When the File Explorer finally seems to recognize that there is something there, it pops up the credentials dialog. I type in the username and password and the PC tells me the username or password are incorrect! They're not. I had to use them to get access from each of the Macs to the other's shared folders.

I have even tried turning off the Defender Firewall, but the failure persists.

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooting, but nothing useful returns, just the obvious, that the Mac cannot be accessed.

It seems to me this is a problem on the Windows side, and specifically with the File Explorer, but I don't know how to track it down any further.

If you have any ideas on what I can do to solve this, please share them.

:)

silvanet_1, Oct 21, 2020
  2. tamo Win User

iPhone won,t connect win 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN [​IMG]

3. tamo Win User

4. tamo Win User

Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN

Yes I am using a genuine apple cable and tried your method but still having issues . The device connects and all looks fine for a few minutes then it drops connection then reconnects and repeats this behaviour so I've gave up .see attached images.

Thanks for your help , I think I'm going to get a Samsung .

Thema:

Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN

1. Windows 10 Pro won't connect to a Mac on my LAN - Similar Threads - Pro won't connect

2. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?: After some struggling to try to connect a Mac to a Win10 machine, and that same Win 10 machine to the same Mac, I finally resolved to connect from the Win10 machine to the Mac - on which I can navigate any attached drive and content. However, trying to connect from the Mac to...
  3. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?: After some struggling to try to connect a Mac to a Win10 machine, and that same Win 10 machine to the same Mac, I finally resolved to connect from the Win10 machine to the Mac - on which I can navigate any attached drive and content. However, trying to connect from the Mac to...
  4. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can’t connect to LAN after 15 Mac 2021 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can’t connect to LAN after 15 Mac 2021 update: Hello. Yesterday I received a notification saying that I need to update to new version of Window 10 and naturally I accepted. and today I am logged out of my ethernet connection, with authentification failed notice on my adapter. I tried few solution posted in this...
  6. Windows 10 Pro. LAN and WIFI connection.

Windows 10 Pro. LAN and WIFI connection.: Interfere in asking. my laptop to install windows 10 Pro. Can not connect LAN with WiFi at the same time. Is there a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-lan-and-wifi-connection/dea5739e-84ff-4749-9096-d83935451881
  7. Monitor other PC's on my LAN - Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor other PC's on my LAN - Windows 10 pro: I have a small LAN of desktops and I want to monitor them from my main desktop of Windows 10 pro, all other workstations are windows 10 and 1 windows 7 box. i want to use hardware monitoring, sys logs, to capture dump files and the like. what can i use as far as suite of...
  8. LAN connection

LAN connection: On my LAN there are two computers, mine and my spouses. We use special software that uses a shared data file kept on my system. When my spouse want to start her software using the data file on my system, we often get a message saying the data file is not available....
  9. Connection to my LAN

Connection to my LAN: My computer connects to my LAN on startup. If I leave my computer for just a few minutes and come back, I am disconnected from my LAN. I can run the troubleshooting program, and it reconnects. This is extremely annoying. How do I fix?...
  10. Windows 10 on Mac Pro with Bootcamp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on Mac Pro with Bootcamp: Once again, an update to Win 10 on my Mac Pro has completly crashed. I'm running 4 x 1t drives. Yosemite, Time Machine, Win 7 and Win 10. For the third time now, Win 10 has done an update and crashed. It tries to start and just goes into a loop. Has anybody else had any...