Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After I received my new motherboard in the mail, an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, I decided to take out the old Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 that was having issues with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Microsoft Rocks___, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...

After I received my new motherboard in the mail, an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, I decided to take out the old Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 that was having issues with the USB ports shutting off for no reason and other issues, such as the PCI-e x1 slot getting covered by my GPU's heatsink and fan combo, placed the originally installed hardware (CPU, GPU, and RAM) on the motherboard, and it started without issues, and I also activated Windows successfully using my old Windows 8 Pro key that I have. However, I've hit a couple of snags (Blue Screens) that made a major setback. I have the minidump files available on my OneDrive as well for you to look at.

What I did was the sfc /scannow and it repaired the key components, tested the RAM (passed without issues), and the chkdsk /f /r and chkdsk /f on the SSD since the OS gave me an NTFS FILE SYSTEM error using the recovery CD that I burnt using my ASUS X54C laptop that's also running Windows 10 Pro x64. I also checked the two 1TB HDDs that I have installed (SSHD and the HDD) to find and fix any errors, and they both passed or got the errors fixed.

In case you need the specs, here you go:

Case: Ultra Wizard ULT31580 Blue case with the front bay door and the key (I have 4 of these, but, one got misplaced)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (AMD 970 northbridge chipset)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz

RAM: 12GB DDR3 (1x 4GB, 1x 8GB)

PSU: Antec 650W ATX PSU

HDD0: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (OS drive)

HDD1: Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSHD

HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (9 years old and it still works, but, I'm planning on backing up the data just in case)

ODD0: LG Blu-Ray RE drive

ODD1: LG DVD burner

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT730

Monitor0: Samsung SyncMaster 215BW (DVI) and ASUS VK222H (HDMI)

Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Surrond 5.1 Pro USB

Speakers: Altec Lansing 2.1 channel speakers (has 2 sound inputs)

Input: Razer Naga mouse and Razer Hex multi-colored LED keyboard, Logitech RumblePad 2 for older PC games, and the Xbox One S controller for Xbox-related games, such as Fortnite

Networking: D-Link AC1200 USB and ASUS BT400 USB for the Xbox One S controller and other devices

Here are the blue screen names, according to the Blue Screen Viewer application and I named them as well in case you need to look into it:

1) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (fixed using the sfc /scannow command and changed the page file for the SSD from 5GB to 40MB for longer lasting)

2) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (fixed using the sfc /scannow command)

3) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (not sure how that happened)

What could be the issue here? Should I download the drivers from ASUS's website for the motherboard to help resolve this issue, or do I need to do something else? I cannot update the drivers for my video card since the latest one doesn't support a 3-year old GPU and my plan is to buy a GTX 1050Ti or higher for gaming. Thank you very much for helping me out here. This hardly happens on my desktop as my laptop is the one that's having more issues not going to sleep or loading properly (motherboard circuits aren't that great and I'm planning on replacing the board, RAM and HDD cover, CPU, and other stuff, such as the heatsink fan combo). Other than that, I'm happy at how fast and quick my system is now since the old board had SATA2 and the new one has SATA3.

:)

Microsoft Rocks___, Dec 16, 2018
  2. andy29uk Win User

Replacing Motherboard/CPU/RAM with OEM Windows

Hi, I am helping a friend with a Dell Optiplex computer which has Windows 8.1 OEM installed. It has been struck by lightning and I need to replace at least the motherboard.

Looking through forum threads here, it looks like if I replace the motherboard with one of the same model, the activation of Windows should be ok. What if I change to a different (compatible) CPU at the same time, would that still be ok? Does the RAM also need
    to be of the same size? The hard drive and other devices would be the same.

andy29uk, Dec 17, 2018
  3. bkkdude57 Win User
    Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi all,

When Windows 8 was released, I bought 2 licences for Laptop and desktop to upgrade from Windows 7. Later both upgraded to Windows 8.1. I upgraded both to Windows 10 last August. Now, due to motherboard fault, I need to replace the motherboard, and would
    like to take the opportunity to change the cpu from AMD to Intel, therefore needing to change motherboard and CPU. I will be using the original hard-drive with the Window 10 OS. What issues will I have on rebooting after the change? If a big problem, I
    can just replace the mothboard, but would really like to replace both.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

bkkdude57, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...

1. Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,... - Similar Threads - Pro x64 Blue

2. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  3. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  4. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  5. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  6. BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help: Hi All, Lately I have been getting a bluescreen errors on my PC - Unexpected kernel mode trap. It mostly happens while launching games / gaming. (FFXIV, League of legends, overwatch, etc) I've tried different games and still get the same issue. My precious PC specs are...
  7. Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10: There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the dozens I have read at least) appear to offer a definitive answer or clear direction. At best the responses I have found...
  8. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10: I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance. The scenario is this: I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a Gigabyte x470. All the other components including the hard drive will be the same. I'll be reformatting the hard drive and...
  9. Blue screen IRQL error after replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen IRQL error after replacing motherboard: My laptop's motherboard recently stopped working, since it was still in warranty I called up the service center and they replaced the motherboard. After replacing the motherboard, the engineer did some diagnosing stuff and then booted up the laptop. And after booting up...
  10. Reactivating Windows 10 Pro after hardware change (motherboard, CPU, RAM)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows 10 Pro after hardware change (motherboard, CPU, RAM): The first thing I did before I change my setup was I linked my microsoft account to windows 10 so that I could have my activation connect to my microsoft account. Today, I try to reactivate windows with the windows 10 settings activation troubleshooter and I said that it is...