Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,...

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ok, so I've been troubleshooting this for a over a month and CANNOT find the solution. I have updated Windows 10 x64 to the latest version, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tiberious_ST, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,...

Ok, so I've been troubleshooting this for a over a month and CANNOT find the solution. I have updated Windows 10 x64 to the latest version, all updates installed. Latest device drivers. Latest motherboard BIOS. Whenever Windows turns off my monitors or even one monitor during testing if the GPU has been stressed at all in most cases but sometimes even if not, the screens go black and the GPU fans go to full speed. Most often this occurs during sleep mode but it also occurs during shutdown though less frequently. This also occurs if the inactivity time hits and Windows turns off the screens, I've since disabled this.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried: New Power Supply, RMA'd the card twice, no change, Put in a fresh hard drive with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 and the latest Nvidia driver also the default Nvidia driver once the card is detected by the fresh installation of Windows, ran a full test of the memory, tried a different PCI slot, changed out the PCI-e power cables to the power supply, reset the Bios to default I have NOT reverted to an old BIOS as yet but it's on my list., changed power plan settings various times, changed monitors and monitor cables DP and DVI I have not run a stress test on the card as I've run video intensive games and I know that once the card has been stressed, the black screen/GPU fan thing is more likely, not sure what would be gained. The card is not overheating. I have reviewed the Event logs with nothing clearly indicating a problem with the GPU, I have noted DCOM errors and when the "crash" occurs I noticed that the HID Microphone device driver becomes corrupted, it's been removed with no change in the crash.

System Config:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Asus ROG Maximus Hero X Wifi

EVGA GTX 1080ti Black Gaming 11Gb w/ICX cooler Not overclocked

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 PC 3600

Intel I7-8700K not overclocked

OS Drive - Samsung M.2/NVME 860 Pro 512gb in PCI mode test drive was a WD traditional drive, SATA

As the situation still occurred on a fresh installation of Windows, I do not believe that any other software is causing this.

In most cases the system is stable until sleep or power off, though it has happened rarely in the beginning while in use, so I am posting this to the Sleep and Power on/off topic, if this is wrong, please move it to the appropriate topic catagory.

Please help me out on this, I'm out of ideas.

Jim

:)

Tiberious_ST, Mar 3, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Screen goes black

Hi Kris,

It is possible that your screen goes black may be due to a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when it turns black?
    • Have you tried checking if the sleep mode is turned on/off?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you perform the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot blank/black screen errors. This will provide you instruction when you see a black screen before signing in to Windows 10 and when you see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep

Hi, thank you. I could restart my surface pro 4 but still could not fix the Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep. I am still looking forward to hearing more suggestions to fix the black screen after sleep.

SokthearithYi, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,...

Artifacts on screen. Screen goes black

Got a new pre-built pc. I think the gpu could be defective. Artifacts on screen (pixels, symbols, lines) White pixels on screen in bios and in windows there is 2 vertical lines 2ish inches wide with varying colors in them.
    I figured before i send the gpu in i would troubleshoot a bit. I performed a clean install of windows 10 Pro x64. It was running fine for a bit then the screen went black. If i reboot the windows loading screen shows with the circle of dots then the screen goes black before sign - in. I can boot into safe mode (thanks @Brink for the tutorial on adding safe boot with bcdedit). I updated graphics drivers to no avail. I tried updating "all - in - one" drivers from AsRock but cant install them because they aren't signed. I booted with digital signatures temporarily disabled but still get the same error when attempting to install drivers. I made a restore point immediately after the clean install, every time i load it, windows works for a couple minutes then screen goes black. I tried updating windows and it gets about halfway through then screen goes black. I tried setting resolution to 800x600 but screen still goes black. This is a no mouse cursor black screen btw.

I'm going to try a few things now and will update this post with any new info.

Thanks in advance

LoyalOpposition, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,...

1. Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off time, sleep, or shutdown screen goes black,... - Similar Threads - Pro x64 screens

2. Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep: Almost every time the screen turns off or goes to sleep, the PC seems to be shut down erroneously. And every time I have to turn the PC back on and shut it down again because when the PC is turned on after this issue occurs, it will not connect to any network the wi-fi toggle...
  3. Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep: Almost every time the screen turns off or goes to sleep, the PC seems to be shut down erroneously. And every time I have to turn the PC back on and shut it down again because when the PC is turned on after this issue occurs, it will not connect to any network the wi-fi toggle...
  4. Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on: I have an HP monitor. Lately, when I turn on my computer the monitor is black, then shows "Monitor going to sleep" and never wakes up. I have the settings for the monitor to 'never' go to sleep, however, something's going on that keeps doing it. I don't see anything else...
  5. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off: I've had an Asus Vivobook for a couple of months now, after spending nearly 10 years using the same Toshiba netbook running Windows 7. Overall it's a great laptop but I cannot for the life of me figure out this problem, and I'm not sure if it's Windows-10-specific or...
  6. Screen glitching after screen goes to sleep only screen turns off

Screen glitching after screen goes to sleep only screen turns off: Hello everyone My laptop screen goes off after 2 minutes as set, and when I move the mouse my screen relights up but is glitched. If I minimize all programs it rectifies it and everything is back to normal. It happens on any open file/program but not to the task bar or...
  7. Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off

Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off: Dear community, I am experiencing an issue where the laptop goes to standby every time the screen turns off. If "Never" is set for "Turn off the display", then the laptop does not go to standby but also the screen stays on. But if the "Put the computer to sleep" is set to...
  8. Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off: My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no avail. Perhaps a fresh reinstall of Windows would fix it? HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0005na...
  9. windows 10 1903 goes to black screen when screen goes to sleep - laptop - does not recover

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 1903 goes to black screen when screen goes to sleep - laptop - does not recover: I start and go into windows 10 normally, things are working at the desk top. since it is a laptop after a time period is goes to s black sleeping screen. at first it was waking up from that with out a issue, now as of today it is getting stuck at that screen. control, alt...
  10. pc turns in and goes to a black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc turns in and goes to a black screen: Did reset and it never finished now it just goes to a black screen 88228