Windows 10: Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists

Discus and support Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I‘ve been recently having a problem with duplicated items in taskbar and broken Jump Lists. I‘m now using Windows 10 but this problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MDJ, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MDJ
    MDJ Win User

Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists

Hello,

I‘ve been recently having a problem with duplicated items in taskbar and broken Jump Lists. I‘m now using Windows 10 but this problem occurred in Windows 8.1 too but then it somehow fixed itself. Some programs that I pin to taskbar have a tendency to duplicate themselves when clicked on. For now, I‘ve noticed this behaviour only in Skype and Spotify but it‘s still very annoying since duplicate icons take valuable taskbar space and even more—make Jump Lists of those programs broken, meaning that you can still see tasks program developers provided but after you click them nothing happens.

I‘ve tried loads of times pinning, repinning, deleting whole User Pinned folder from %appdata%/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch, clearing Jump List folders manually and automatically with Command Prompt commands as suggested here with no luck. The only thing I did achieve was when I pinned Skype to taskbar in my other user account, then copied the newly created shortcut from Use Pinned folder to my User Pinned folder—this made Skype Jump Lists working but duplicate icon in taskbar remained.

I‘ve recently found a tutorial which may force taskbar to use only one icon per app but I can‘t check this right now as 7+ Taskbar Tweaker isn‘t yet officially available for Windows 10 users.

Thank you for taking your time and reading my message, any suggestions would be appreciated,

P. S. I don‘t know if this is related but I can‘t pin any Control Panel item to Quick Access whilst I can pin folders. Interesting side of this is that pinned Control Panel items appear in File Explorer's Jump List but after clicked I get a message that item is unavailable and that it might have been moved, renamed or removed.

:)

2. Windows 10 Start Menu issues after mysterious update.

FWIW I rarely use the Windows 10 Start Menu. Most of the time I access using icons with Jump Lists on the Taskbar and, if that is not suitable, I right click the Start icon on the Taskbar.

Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Jump List on taskbar when click on to run does not open any programs or history/recent/frequent files

If I may add to this:

I run four systems, all upgraded to Windows 10.

On three - if I move the mouse over a pinned taskbar icon and right click, the jump list pops up and stays up until something is clicked.

On one, when I move the mouse over an icon and right click, the jump list pops up but as soon as the cursor is moved it drops down. The jump list works fine if Alt or Ctrl is pressed.

Anyone know where in the inner framework of Windows 10 the code that controls the taskbar jump items might be?

KeithHarris, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists

I'm new to windows 10 and experiencing duplicate task bar items but ONLY for firefox. My work computer also has a recent upgrade to W10 and it is NOT having this problem. It's annoying. I've tried unpinning and repinning from the start screen shortcut and from the actual executable file itself. I've also tried unpinning the original and pinning one of the duplicates.

Nothing is working to fix this bug.

SoCalMitch, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists

1. Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists - Similar Threads - problem duplicated icons

2. Windows 10 20H2 jump list is broken (again)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 20H2 jump list is broken (again): After some time, I had decided to upgrade my Windows 10 1909 to 20H2. Once 20H2 is installed, the bugs that I encountered when I upgrade to 2004 are back and not fix by any update. My PC is ACER NITRO 5 with i5-8300H cpu with GTX1050 gpu and 8GB RAM. Last time I had...
  3. Windows 10 jump lists broken by recent update *again*

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 jump lists broken by recent update *again*: The jump lists accessed by right-clicking pinned apps on the taskbar have stopped working after installing updates kb4569751 and kb4565351. When I say "stopped working", I mean that I can still left-click on a pinned app e.g. File Explorer and it will open correctly, but if...
  4. Jump List Problem

Jump List Problem: [ATTACH] Hello, I have some problems with my Jump Start. Initially, when, for example I right-clicked on the Windows Explorer icon pinned to the task bar, it would have displayed the most frequent folders. Now, some updates back, it only displays most recent. I...
  5. Broken Jump Lists after upgrading to 2004

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Jump Lists after upgrading to 2004: Hi, I am suddenly facing issues with the Jump Lists after upgrading to version 2004. For some reason, when I try to access recent files (that have not been moved), Windows thinks that the file is not there. This happens randomly to some files. I've attached an example of such...
  6. Broken Jump Lists after upgrading to 2004

Broken Jump Lists after upgrading to 2004: [ATTACH] Hi, I am suddenly facing issues with the Jump Lists after upgrading to version 2004. For some reason, when I try to access recent files (that have not been moved), Windows thinks that the file is not there. This happens randomly to some files. I've attached an...
  7. duplicate taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    duplicate taskbar icon: Within the last couple of days I noticed that I now have two icon pinned to the taskbar for my Radeon Settings...and no apparent way to delete (or even hide) the extra. Anyone else seen this and / or know a way to get rid of the extra one? 144925
  8. duplicate taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Support
    duplicate taskbar icon: Within the last couple of days I noticed that I now have two icon pinned to the taskbar for my Radeon Settings...and no apparent way to delete (or even hide) the extra. Anyone else seen this and / or know a way to get rid of the extra one? 144925
  9. Jump List Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Jump List Problem: I can move/sort pinned jump list items for File Explorer, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. but not for MS Office Word and Excel. Oddly, I can sort items in PowerPoint. Haven't tried any other MS Office programs, though. Any notions. The usual fair of support doesn't address the...
  10. Duplicate Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Icon in Taskbar: Hi, One of my pinned items on the taskbar (MusicBee) refuses to act properly. It always shows two instances of the icon when the program is open. I tried unpinning the items, opening the program from it's folder and then right-click > Pin to taskbar but that creates a...