Windows 10: Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not...

Discus and support Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since I have gone to Windows 10 v2004 June 2020 I have had problems with Microsoft Updates to my machine. I seem to get the Cumulative Updates once or... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Stevie-Y, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Stevie-Y Win User

Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not...

Since I have gone to Windows 10 v2004 June 2020 I have had problems with Microsoft Updates to my machine. I seem to get the Cumulative Updates once or twice a month, but go weeks without any 'Definition Updates' which are mostly updates to MS Defender. I have MalwareBytes 4.2.1 Installed. I have had both MS Defender and MalwareBytes running together for several years w/o any problems with Windows Updates. Real-time Protection for MS Defender is OFF, as this is done through MalwareBytes. When I go into Windows Security > Settings > About, it shows:

AntiMalware Client Version 4.18.2008.9

Engine Version 0.0.0.0

Antivirus Version 0.0.0.0

Antispyware Version 0.0.0.0

The status of Windows Security Center has 'no actions needed', but I am not sure why the Engine, Antivirus, and Antispyware Versions are all 0.0.0.0.

In Windows 10 v1909 under Settings>Updates&Security, I had an option to 'Install Updates Automatically' which I always had on as suggested. I no longer see this setting.

I have talked with numerous Support Persons by phone and am unable to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

S. Yager

:)

Stevie-Y, Sep 26, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

defender definition updates fail

Something is not right here. I use Norton 360 on 3 pcs, and Defender is switched off, and I do not get any Defender updates.

cereberus, Sep 26, 2020
  3. jawinters Win User
    defender definition updates fail

Hi Brink. I got a link to this forum from a thread I created on the Microsoft answers site. Not sure if this fix will address the issue of Defender definition updates failing to install and generating an error message whenever Windows Update downloads the latest defs. Here is an example of the message:

"Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.2537.0) - Error 0x80070643"

I have contacted MS 3 times and others have done the same or suggested fixes that they thought might work to no avail. The problem boils down to MS policy in Win 10 to download all updates whether you want them or not. Since I am using Norton Internet Security Defender is turned off but MS insists on downloading the updates and the design is so poor that the updates fail if Defender is off. I have suggested 3 options to MS but all they do is hide the failed update temporarily only to have the next one fail again. As a former programmer it seems to me there are 3 options to stop these error messages:

1- don't try and install definition updates when Defender is off.2- allow the files to be installed even if Defender is off. This would not only not hurt anything but would keep the definitions current so if I ever do decide to switch to Defender I will have the most current definitions available. (seems like the best option to me)
    3-if Defender is off just squelch the error message as it is NOT REALLY AN ERROR IT IS DESIGNED TO DO THAT?

My question to you is I don't have a problem with Defender being on or off I have a problem that since it is off I get error messages whenever Update runs. Is this going to stop the error messages or will it just ensure that Defender is off and because of the piss poor design of Update continue to have the definition files fail to install and error messages to be generated? Thanks.

jawinters, Sep 26, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not...

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not... - Similar Threads - Problems getting 'Definition

2. MS Defender video problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Defender video problem: When running MS Defender Offline Scan the video is badly distored and only bliinks on for about a second, then the screen goes blank for several seconds, then it repeats distorted video - no video-.distorted video - no video-etc. This only happens with Offline scans all...
  3. ms defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ms defender: Hello --- why is ms defender still running when I have a 3rd party security package installed?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-defender/7e39a568-c150-4411-bc3b-58c8b84a5e90
  4. Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS

Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS: For well over a year now, Defender has not auto-updated Definitions. I must manually select Update Definitions. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Thank you....
  5. Windows 10 Cumulative Updates turning OFF 'Definition Updates' updates for MS Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Cumulative Updates turning OFF 'Definition Updates' updates for MS Defender: Whenever I get a Windows 10 Cumulative Update or even a Preview Cumulative Update my 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender are halted. Through help from a Microsoft Community member, I found out that the 'Periodic Scanning' flag in Windows Security is available when another...
  6. Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Problems getting 'Definition Updates' for MS Defender MS Defender updates not...: Since I have gone to Windows 10 v2004 June 2020 I have had problems with Microsoft Updates to my machine. I seem to get the Cumulative Updates once or twice a month, but go weeks without any 'Definition Updates' which are mostly updates to MS Defender. I have MalwareBytes...
  7. Not Getting Defender Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not Getting Defender Definition Updates: I have Task Scheduler set to check for Defender definition updates every 15 minutes, which it is doing without interruption. The virus definition update history lists the last 50 updates and I usually receive 8-12/day. However, when I look at the definition update history,...
  8. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  9. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  10. Updating Defender Definitions.

Updating Defender Definitions.: can't update the definition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/updating-defender-definitions/01d2f8f4-51bd-48f3-b7d7-03f00f5c959d