Windows 10: Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay.

Discus and support Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've just ended 3 days of hell dealing with Microsoft after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on two computers. Both computers got Internet through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sorenden, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Sorenden Win User

Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay.

I've just ended 3 days of hell dealing with Microsoft after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on two computers. Both computers got Internet through their Ethernet connections to my router, but neither would consistently see the other for sharing files. (They had networked fine with Windows 7.)

I tried virtually every tactic, strategy and setting discussed by Microsoft and third parties online, including an hour-long remote session with Support and two useless responses from Microsoft Advisors. (One just repeated my question, the other gave me basic instruction's I'd tried countless times and then gave me the support number ... which, finding I have a Level 2 call scheduled a WEEK from now, said to wait till then.)

So I did this. Several support pages say it is the last thing to try. I wish it had been the first.

Reset the Network.

I had tried that before resorting to the remote support session, and it worked, but it didn't stick. At times I had each computer seeing itself on the network, but not the other (not very useful, eh?). Other times, one computer would see both, but the other computer saw only itself. And yes, I made sure both were awake when I tested.

So, before trying reset again, first I changed their usernames and passwords to be the same on each computer. (In my Win 10 installs, I had given each a different name, and one computer login was PW while the other was a PIN.) Since that second Network Reset, the network has been reasonably stable. Sometimes a computer disappears for a bit, but it shows up reasonably quick.

So, this advice from a non-networking-expert user: If you can't get two computers to talk by wire after an hour of trying, give them both the same username and login, then do Start > Network Reset on each computer. Each computer will automatically reboot after a 5 minute wait. Then set your various folder permissions (Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing) and cross your fingers.

Oh, and those Microsoft Advisors? Microsoft closed those threads before I could get back to them, so unless they're reading here, they'll never know.

:)

Sorenden, Jul 31, 2019

2. Windows 7 and Home Networking

Cable internet, all computers plugged into the router and what i want is shared and readable on the network. All computers are windows 7 professional and setup with a home network minus the homegroup.

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jul 31, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay. [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay.

Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Professional. Couldn't network two computers, but they got Internet okay. - Similar Threads - Professional Couldn't network

2. Networking two windows computers within home network problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking two windows computers within home network problem: I have 2 windows PC's. Both on a local network. Both linked to a Microsoft account. Both set up to use a PIN or Facial recognition to login to windows. All that works fine. What I am trying to do is locally access PC1 from PC2 and vice versa. This used to work just fine until...
  3. Networking two windows computers within home network problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking two windows computers within home network problem: I have 2 windows PC's. Both on a local network. Both linked to a Microsoft account. Both set up to use a PIN or Facial recognition to login to windows. All that works fine. What I am trying to do is locally access PC1 from PC2 and vice versa. This used to work just fine until...
  4. It it okay to have two computers have the same hostname on the same network?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It it okay to have two computers have the same hostname on the same network?: Title sums it up submitted by /u/guy_from_iowa01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmbmdp/it_it_okay_to_have_two_computers_have_the_same/
  5. Network two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network two computers: How do I share files between two Windows 10 computers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-two-computers/06745509-10ba-4ffd-9d36-4092d2e421d9
  6. Networking two (2) Windows 10 desktop computer

Networking two (2) Windows 10 desktop computer: Hello I have two(2) Windows 10 desktop PC's and I want to network them so that almost everything is sheared, Both computers a connected to a common modem/router and are located approximately 8ft apart. As you probably know, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to...
  7. Is it okay if the computer has two drivers ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it okay if the computer has two drivers ?: Processos [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-okay-if-the-computer-has-two-drivers/dd03e3f3-1ea9-4518-9326-81f65507ce25
  8. Network File Share on two Windows 10 computers

Network File Share on two Windows 10 computers: I have two Windows 10 computers. I want to be able to share files between them. In the file explorer "Network" on the desktop I can see the laptop (and desktop) and can drag files from the laptop to the desktop. In the Network on the laptop however I cannot see the desktop...
  9. Professional and Home Networking

Professional and Home Networking: Hi, My 3 Windows 10 computers are all Professional versions, and connect fine with each other in WORKGROUP. My question relates to a PC running Home version (which we may also have soon). Before we decide I want to ensure that a Home version can connect to WORKGROUP. If...
  10. Problem Networking Two Computers

Problem Networking Two Computers: I am having problems with Networking 2 Windows 10 computers. The first computer is an HP Laptop with windows 10 factory installed. It connects to my router via a wireless connection. The second is a Dell Desktop with 2 SSD's -- one containing Win 7 and the other Win 10....