Windows 10: Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting?

Discus and support Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello new friends, having trouble turning my win7 machine into a Win10. I do not need any files, settings or software retained, just newd to wipe this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Audiogical, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting?

Hello new friends, having trouble turning my win7 machine into a Win10. I do not need any files, settings or software retained, just newd to wipe this machine and start fresh with Windows 10.

Attempting to wipe my system, reformat drives and do a fresh OS install for a clean new system,

This intel i7 tower had windows 7 on it, and i have purchased Win10 Pro on physical usb flash non-oem, allows decom/recom
    I am having issues and am not educated on booting properly to the instalation media.

Win10 installer seems to show very limited options, and none of the more advanced drive formatting and partitioning tools

that seem necessary.

My first attempt booting to the Asus motherboard does show the USB installer, and i launch in UEFI mode...

ok great, win10 installer shows 3 partitions, including a small system drive partition, along with two internal drives.

However....Win10 installer says none of these will allow system install. I used the simple ‘reformat’ button in the win10 installer,

but the status still says ‘not valid install destination’. The two selections available are now to either keep your files or do a clean installm yet neither are allowed.

Even more confusing:

The second option, for clean install, also notes ‘if you would like to reformat or set up partititions, boot to the installation medium’...

Um, what? I am already booted to the installation medium, by selecting the win10 installer USB drive from the BIOS screens.

So, i am completely confused. i would really just like to wipe the whole machine, set up drives and install the OS i have paid for, hopefully it is something simple i am overlooking, and thanks very much for any guidance or expertise on this

:)

Audiogical, Nov 23, 2020

2. Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Nov 23, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting?

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting?

1. Windows 10 Professional installation: USB drive boot installation and formatting? - Similar Threads - Professional installation USB

2. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  3. format drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    format drive and install windows: Back when the user actually had ownership of their computer, we used to be able to format the hard dive completely and install windows. That's not possible with win 10. There's so much bloat wear and malware on here that this machine hardly functions. My only solution is to...
  4. format drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    format drive and install windows: Back when the user actually had ownership of their computer, we used to be able to format the hard dive completely and install windows. That's not possible with win 10. There's so much bloat wear and malware on here that this machine hardly functions. My only solution is to...
  5. Installing Windows on Formatted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows on Formatted drive: Hi there, I have a NVMe SSD formatted to NTFS but when I try to install windows10 on it I'm told that it has a MBR partition table. When I go to disk management to try to convert it to a GPT disk it won't allow me to convert it. How do I fix this problem so the windows10 o/s...
  6. What should be the USB format to install Windows 10 with usb?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What should be the USB format to install Windows 10 with usb?: submitted by /u/Ucansin77 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8bd4m/what_should_be_the_usb_format_to_install_windows/
  7. Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?: Hi. I have four hard drives in my computer. On one is Windows 10 and I want to reinstall the operating system. In the Windows installation manager (when booting from the stick etc.) you can format the hard drives. The only thing is that I have to unplug my remaining 3...
  8. Windows 10 Professional not booting after gaming application install.

Windows 10 Professional not booting after gaming application install.: My son installed some gaming applications called "rock start games" and after install, the windows won't start. I have subscribed to windows insider and it is dynamically updating windows 10. Not sure what is version right now. When I try to reset it errors out and get to...
  9. Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..: Hello there, Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for storage. I'm planning to do a clean install of windows 10 by formatting the ssd drive and installing windows there. Now my...
  10. Can't boot USB drive with x64 windows installer

Can't boot USB drive with x64 windows installer: So heres the deal - whenever I try to install a 64 bit Windows 10 copy from a flash drive, I get stuck on the 4 blue squares, with no white dots spinning. Then after about 10 seconds the PC restarts. I have tried the official way with the media creation tool, I have tried...