Windows 10: Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version...

Discus and support Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 1. How do I determine if my version is a Retail or is an OEM version? 2. Can the Retail or OEM nature of the version be determined by the Product Key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by josephc55, Feb 6, 2019.

1. josephc55 Win User

Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version...

1. How do I determine if my version is a Retail or is an OEM version?

2. Can the Retail or OEM nature of the version be determined by the Product Key itself?

3. I am aware that:

"If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version."

4. The 2 licenses I have originally came from Vista and Windows 7, then upgraded to 8.1 then the free upgrade to Windows 10.

5. I am interested to see if I can transfer my Professional license from one of these licenses to a Home license from a new computer, so that it becomes a Professional license.

6. I understand that my licenses are in my Microsoft account, but I cannot find these licenses in my Microsoft account.

:)

josephc55, Feb 6, 2019

2. OEM or Retail and Why? How to transfer License?

The retail license is the best value.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

To determine if your computer came preinstalled with a OEM Windows 7 license, look for the COA sticker.

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version... d5547d75-aae8-45ba-9767-a91fa476abfa.gif

Andre Da Costa, Feb 6, 2019
  3. OEM or Retail and Why? How to transfer License?

The retail license is the best value.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

To determine if your computer came preinstalled with a OEM Windows 7 license, look for the COA sticker.

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version... 5c369c11-0687-430d-84f7-55af14b49b8f.gif

Andre Da Costa, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version...

Oem and retail license

Full version (Retail):

- Expensive

OEM :

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.
    If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software
    to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software.
    Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre for Directly, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version...

1. Windows 10 Professional License transfer to another computer; Retail vs. OEM version... - Similar Threads - Professional License transfer

2. transferring windows 10 license to another computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring windows 10 license to another computer: I have previously installed windows 10 onto a macbook using a third party viewing program - parallels. I then deleted parelells as i want to use bootcamp instead. I have successfully installed bootcamp however when it says to enter my windows licence key it says it is already...
  3. Transferring license to another pc with Windows 10 retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring license to another pc with Windows 10 retail: Hi, I have been getting so many mixed message regarding "retail" not OEM version of Windows 10 that I just want to get some confirmation. Can windows 10 pro retail transferable to another pc infinitely as long it's tied to one pc? Some shops told me that there is a limit to...
  4. Which version of Windows 10 for DAW OEM, retail, Home ore Professional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which version of Windows 10 for DAW OEM, retail, Home ore Professional: Hi, I'm going to get back to Windows for my next DAW and I'm trying to understand which version work best for DAW purposes. Another question is: is better and legal to buy a license for 20 Euro or I have to buy directly from Microsoft to have a fully functional OS? Thank...
  5. Transfering windows 10 license to another computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfering windows 10 license to another computer?: Hi there, I have a laptop bought in 2017 which came with Windows 10. I no longer use this laptop, and am planning to build a new PC. Can I transfer the Windows 10 license from that laptop to my new PC? submitted by /u/greenstuffs21 [link] [comments]...
  6. Can I transfer windows 10 OEM license to another computer?

Can I transfer windows 10 OEM license to another computer?: I am planning to install Ubuntu on my laptop that currently runs of windows 10 OEM. Is it legal to tranfser this license to another laptop which I own/use? If yes how can I do that?...
  7. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...
  8. OEM VS retail

OEM VS retail: 1- what the good key for laptop DELL OEM VS Retail key ? And what is the difference between them ? 2 - Which of these two sites better buy genuine Windows version at an acceptable price and there are other sites better than them : A-...
  9. Windows 10 oem vs retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 oem vs retail: What is the difference between oem and retail version of windows 10. Is ti true that oem version can only install once and retail version can install as many times as needed ? 132851
  10. Windows 10 oem vs retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 oem vs retail: What is the difference between oem and retail version of windows 10. Is ti true that oem version can only install once and retail version can install as many times as needed ? 132851