Windows 10: Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and...

Discus and support Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a serious issue that has been going on with my PC through out multiple installs of windows 10. Every couple of hours, lets say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LorenzoWhitesell, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and...

Hello everyone, I have a serious issue that has been going on with my PC through out multiple installs of windows 10. Every couple of hours, lets say I'm on Mozilla fire fox, it will freeze but I can still close it and open it again, however when I open it, I'm met with a blank search bar and no functionality whatsoever. I tried checking other programs and they experienced the same issue, they either wouldn't open or they would open without functionality. I checked task manager, and it reported that the programs were all responsive.. But even task manager itself lost functionality, the data wasn't being updated and everything was stuck at the same usage percentage. Also, I noticed every process and program was stuck at 0%, however, my CPU usage was stuck at 38% and disk usage, etc were all stuck.

I checked the Windows event viewer and the only errors I received were the watch dog timer being set off ( basically the system shutting down due to system failure ) and an unexpected shutdown. Also I saw errors with event ID 10016 but those errors are by design so I doubt they are the true culprits of all my programs losing functionality. I even attempted to solve the event ID 10016 error but the issue at hand still persists so I was able to rule out that it wasn't causing the issue. After the issue happened again, I checked windows event viewer once more and I found something new, Cortana and backgroundtaskhost.exe were both causing errors, and event ID 10016 was still there too. Ive run sfc /scannow multiple times in safe mode, and DISM too, but the problem still persists. I'm reluctant to remove Cortana though, I doubt removing that would solve this issue, and I kinda don't wanna lose the functionality of the windows search feature by removing her.

I found that If I repeatedly tap the windows button, my programs would begin to unfreeze again, but only at the rate of which I spammed my windows key. I noticed this while I was playing some Roblox. Also, most of windows basic functions would stop as well during the issue, like the search bar next to the windows button, and it wouldn't let me restart nor shutdown, it would just show the splash screen but with no ring.

I tried looking at posts about Windows 10 freezing, but none of their directions have helped me because my issue is entirely different from theirs as my windows is not actually freezing, its just losing a ton of functionality and acting really weird.

Please help me, and let me know if I'm not the only experiencing this exact problem.

:)

LorenzoWhitesell, Jul 21, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and...

Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and...

1. Windows 10 programs lose functionality every couple of hours, however can still open and... - Similar Threads - programs lose functionality

2. DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD every couple hours randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD every couple hours randomly: Randomly BSOD every couple hours for the least couple days, it show as"DPC Watchdog Violation". I used BlueScreenView and it says that its caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I already tried using DSIM restore health and SFC scan and they show that nothing is wrong,...
  3. All programs suddenly lose functionality in Windows 10 can somewhat still interact with them

All programs suddenly lose functionality in Windows 10 can somewhat still interact with them: Sometimes, mostly when I'm using a web browser, all my software stops responding, although not in a sort of way that's common. I can still move tabs around and press buttons, but all functionality is gone. I can sometimes try to restart Windows Explorer, but it freezes during...
  4. Windows keeps refreshing on its own every couple of hours.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps refreshing on its own every couple of hours.: For some reason, Windows will keep refreshing on its own at intervals of a couple of hours. This does not affect the functionalities of most programs, but a few older programs are affected. Additionally, I checked to see if this was a result of any programs crashing or...
  5. Just a couple of hours***

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just a couple of hours***: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/luaykashef [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hsgj3f/just_a_couple_of_hours/
  6. Program Opening and Closing Every Hour

Program Opening and Closing Every Hour: Hello, I have been having this problem for probably over a year now and have been unable to find a solution. At first I had no idea it was a program because I would be playing a game full screen and it would suddenly minimize. Much later I realized it was a program of some...
  7. have been getting Blue screens every hour to a couple of hours

have been getting Blue screens every hour to a couple of hours: Ive been getting blue screens every hour to a few hours seem to have started after i updated windows i did a fresh install that did nothing. i dont have anything over clocked, all my drivers all updated to their current i would be watching a video and bam blue screen hasent...
  8. Losing more and more Functionality every month.

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing more and more Functionality every month.: About 6 months ago - after another Windows 10 update on my Lenovo P50 - my Skype Video stopped working. The Camera App reset every 5 seconds by moving, then freezing, then going black repeatedly. After using Skype with my family overseas for 20 years, Skype is now useless....
  9. Windows claims it can find a program, however, it is there

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows claims it can find a program, however, it is there: Three days ago, I used Nero18 for the about the 100 times (actually not exact number, but to show I use it a lot). The next day I went to use it, and it wouldn't start. I then tried to run it as Admin, and then it told me that it couldn't find the NeroLauncher.exe. I went in...
  10. Internet losing connection every 24 hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet losing connection every 24 hours: Hello so I have an Ethernet cable connected to my pc and every 24 hours I lose internet connection and there is a tiny yellow triangle. I go into cmd every time and type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and reset my computer. Im fine with the internet for 24 hours and this...