Windows 10: Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive

Discus and support Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About 3 weeks ago programs began failing to read or write files on my computer's C drive. The first thing I noticed was that programs were unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisRosenauer, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive

About 3 weeks ago programs began failing to read or write files on my computer's C drive. The first thing I noticed was that programs were unable to write files to the desktop. Then sometime later I noticed that programs were unable to read files from their own program files directory.

After doing some research and trying a few solutions nothing I've found so far has worked. These failed solutions have included:

-changing C drive ownership

-setting C drive folders to not be read only

-starting programs as administrator

-changing my own user permissions on my computer

Some additional information: I am the only user and the administrator of this system, and I have run a virus scan to rule out the idea of a virus causing this problem.

If you need any additional information or can suggest any advice please let me know.

:)

ChrisRosenauer, Oct 20, 2019
  2. JamaicaC Win User

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I already looked into one of your suggestions before posting here. I am the owner of the folder and its sub folders etc. When I changed it to everyone, nothing was changed. File explorer is still giving me an access denied error
    whenever I do anything with the folder.

For one of the flash drives that I have, I was able to use it to an older version of windows which is windows 7, but when I try to open it here. It does not work at all (can't open, read, and write). But in that workstation (with windows 7 installed), there
    was no problem reading and/or writing a file.

I think it has something to do with windows 10. But not quite sure where can I do changes and how to fix this. Or it is possible that you're right that the permission settings can change when used from another computer but why does it still not work even
    when I format it in a windows 10 pc.

Is there a specific Disk Management\Partition program that you can suggest for formatting a flash drive?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate your time responding!

JamaicaC, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 20, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive

1. Windows 10: Programs unable to read or write files on my computer's C drive - Similar Threads - Programs unable read

2. Windows 10 Program Files is Write Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Program Files is Write Protected: My story is a week long but let me see if I can summarize. I'll list too many steps because I don't know what is critical.1 Built a W10 install using Media Creation Tool2 Installed a bunch of Apps3 Ran Update and updated everything and went to bed4 Woke up to a blue repair...
  3. Windows 10 Program Files is Write Protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Program Files is Write Protected: My story is a week long but let me see if I can summarize. I'll list too many steps because I don't know what is critical.1 Built a W10 install using Media Creation Tool2 Installed a bunch of Apps3 Ran Update and updated everything and went to bed4 Woke up to a blue repair...
  4. unable to write to c:\program files

unable to write to c:\program files: When I try to install radio programming software JT270M_USER_V103.exe as an administrator, I receive the error message "unable to write to c:\program filesx86\jet\jt270mv103\sysini.ini". The file "sysini.ini"" is present as indicated by the path shown. It is currently...
  5. Unable to move or delete files from my computer's C drive

Unable to move or delete files from my computer's C drive: I am unable to move or delete any files from my computer's C drive.I get the following windows denying me access to these files.I am able to view these pictures but not able to delete or move them to a new location.Also I am getting an error window denying me the ability to...
  6. Read and write encrypted file

Read and write encrypted file: Hi I have created an encrypted file using AES , stored this encrypted file into a folder in my D drive . This encrypted file consists of junk characters .My next task is to read that file . I have tried methods such as _tfopen_s and _wfopen_s etc. but I could not able to...
  7. No write access to C:\Program Files?

No write access to C:\Program Files?: First of all, only people who really know I reinstalled Windows 2004 a week or so ago because I changed the SSD. All worked great as always. At some point I wanted to install a few programs and then I got a message that no matter which program I installed, the rights for...
  8. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10: Hi Everyone, I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist. I tried multiple options like changing permissions, change owners, regedit etc Regards, Siva...
  9. Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10: I have tried multiple solutions to troubleshoot or even just to distinguish what the problem is but nothing seems to work. 1.) I tried to copy and paste a file from my desktop to the flash drive but saw this: [ATTACH] 2.) Everyone including myself have permission to do...
  10. Unable To Read And Write 100GB MDisc With LG Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable To Read And Write 100GB MDisc With LG Drive: Hello, I just bought the following LG Disc drive and MDiscs on Amazon (Links below) and it came with a disc with software on not. I was able to rip and burn a CD before I installed the software disc and after but I am unable to burn a MDisc. When I insert a MDisc to the...