Windows 10: Windows 10 propagates mouse settings across multiple devices

Discus and support Windows 10 propagates mouse settings across multiple devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OK, I came across some really bizarre behavior... which telegraphs that Microsoft is doing a lot more behind the scenes than I had thought. Apparently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cytherian, May 6, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Windows 10 propagates mouse settings across multiple devices

OK, I came across some really bizarre behavior... which telegraphs that Microsoft is doing a lot more behind the scenes than I had thought. Apparently Microsoft captures at least some or all of your computer configuration settings associated with your account. When you log into another device with the same login, those settings propagate. Here's how I discovered this:

I have 2 laptops running Windows 10, and I log in with the same ID. One has a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, the other is a Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000. I suddenly suffered left mouse-click failure on the MS mouse. To mitigate the inconvenience, I reassigned the mouse buttons flipping left and right functions. So now when right clicking, I'd get a single left mouse click. Rotating the mouse slightly made it work well for the time being using my index finger, as I wait to get my replacement mouse.

However... when I logged onto my 2nd Windows 10 laptop, after a few minutes the mouse buttons on my Logitech MX Mouse "flipped." Same setting as on my other Windows 10 laptop. First, it baffled me as to how this could have happened. It wasn't Google (which backs up all my Chrome settings and links through Google backup). Somehow Microsoft is capturing this information and storing it with my account association (@outlook.com).

In one sense it's kind of cool, but in another sense it's frustrating. Because NOW I understand why my mouse sensitivity kept changing on me. I'd set it on one computer and then it would change on the other, when the two mice have different resolution. I eventually gave up on it.

QUESTION: Is there any way to control this? Can I force Microsoft to ignore some settings and let them remain independent on different devices? I don't need this backed up.

:)

cytherian, May 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 propagates mouse settings across multiple devices

1. Windows 10 propagates mouse settings across multiple devices - Similar Threads - propagates mouse settings

2. Windows 11 Synch across multiple devices - app not opening on second device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Synch across multiple devices - app not opening on second device: Hi, I purchased a surface 7 a few months ago and had set it up with a few apps. I just purchased a Surface Laptop 4 and am synching across devices. When I synched initially, the apps did not work on my new Surface Laptop 4. I rebooted my surface 7 , and moved the app that was...
  3. Windows 11 Synch across multiple devices - app not opening on second device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Synch across multiple devices - app not opening on second device: Hi, I purchased a surface 7 a few months ago and had set it up with a few apps. I just purchased a Surface Laptop 4 and am synching across devices. When I synched initially, the apps did not work on my new Surface Laptop 4. I rebooted my surface 7 , and moved the app that was...
  4. yahoo mail across multiple devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    yahoo mail across multiple devices: I have a laptop, iPhone and iPad and want to link all of them to the same yahoo account. How do I do that? I keep getting password errors on each of them....
  5. Syncing settings across devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Syncing settings across devices: Hi, I've got a Surface Pro 7 and a Surface Laptop 3 and I'm trying to sync my settings across both but it says "Sync is not available on your account". Both devices are running Windows 10 Pro and I have them signed into a work account. Does anyone know what the issue is?...
  6. Windows 10 Sync Settings across devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Sync Settings across devices: So, this issue has been around FOREVER. I have spent several hours online with Microsoft Answer Techs and they don't seem to be able to come up with a fix for this issue. Let me get a couple of answers to questions that I know will be asked out of the way up front. Things I...
  7. Windows 10 won't sync settings across devices.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 won't sync settings across devices.: Hey everyone! So my Windows 10 laptop and Windows 10 PC won't sync settings even though they're both set to do so? Please help, I have looked everywhere *Sad Thanks 129627
  8. Windows 10 won't sync settings across devices.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't sync settings across devices.: Hey everyone! So my Windows 10 laptop and Windows 10 PC won't sync settings even though they're both set to do so? Please help, I have looked everywhere *Sad Thanks 129627
  9. Who else uses w10 across multiple devices?

in Windows 10 Support
    Who else uses w10 across multiple devices?: I use w10 on 3 devices, a mid range gaming PC, linx7 tablet, and lumia640. On the whole the experience is pretty good, syncing works well, reminders, alarms, contacts etc. This was one of the reasons I opted for android early, using chrome on a PC gave a similar, yet skimmed...
  10. Desktop syncing across multiple devices (MS based)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop syncing across multiple devices (MS based): Hi all Just wondering if its possible to make multiple devices desktops look the same. For example if you change your desktop on your PC it could be made to automatically change on your other devices. Regards Josh 11725