Windows 10: Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 keeps putting system files on 2nd hard drive it is were I have my steam games installed it does this when installing updates or any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jeff, May 5, 2019.

1. jeff Win User

Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive

Windows 10 keeps putting system files on 2nd hard drive it is were I have my steam games installed it does this when installing updates or any Microsoft visual c++ software how do you stop it from doing that?

:)

jeff, May 5, 2019
  2. jt12345 Win User

page/swap file size and location for 2-3 hard drives

Most recommend putting the page file on a seperate hard drive from Windows. So that one hard drive is reading and another hard drive is writting.

MS recommends page file sizes of a Min 1.5X to a Max 3X system RAM. But they also say to have a page file on your OS drive for errors. That Windows will choose the Page file on the drive that Windows is not on.

So my setups currently are:

With 2 hard drives...
    --Windows/games/programs on 1st hard drive
    --Page File on 2nd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096 page file size)

With 3 hard drives...
    --Windows on 1st hard drive
    --Games/programs on 2nd hard drive
    --Page file on 3rd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096mb page file size)

How are these configurations?

Does the maximum page/swap file size of 3X system ram apply to a single hard drive or all hard drives with swap files on the system total.

Ie. can i put from example above a swap file on my system drive 4096mb and another page file on other drives of 4096mb each for a total of 2 page files or 4096X2 that is greater than the 3x system ram??

thanks

jt12345, May 5, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 5, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, May 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive - Similar Threads - putting system files

2. Putting Windows on a new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Putting Windows on a new Hard Drive: I've recently bought a 1TB NVMe SSD that I'm planning on making my primary drive with Windows on and retiring my current OS drive which is a 120GB SATA SSD. The problem is the choices seem endless on what the best way to go about this is. There's things like the Creation...
  3. 2nd hard drive constantly restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2nd hard drive constantly restarting: Every few seconds one of my other hard drives non-C sounds like it is trying to start but fails and tries again. Access/opening/saving to these drives seems fine. They are used for extra image storage and one is a scratch drive for Photoshop. This had been a problem at 2...
  4. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  5. Help! 2nd hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! 2nd hard drive problem: When my pc was still windows 7 my 2nd hard drive and its partition titled "my shit" was fully accessible and its where i safely kept my personal photos and videos from the last 15 years. My PC forcably swapped to windows 10 and my unobservent ass didn't even notice "my shit"...
  6. window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive: I just add my 2nd HDD into my pc, but window doesn't recognize the HDD. I see in the device manager but doesn't show up in file explorer or storage setting. I try scan for hardware changes, uninstalling it and updating driver. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  7. ReFS File System on Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ReFS File System on Hard drive: Is the ReFS file system suitable for use on the hard drive? if it matches what makes them suitable and if not, please state the reason too. Thanks. I have windows 10 education that have ReFS file system on format option and that makes me confused. 130010
  8. Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors): Now that I have Windows installed on a new SSD, I want to complete erase the old (second) hard drive and have the entire drive available as one drive letter. I tried removing that system partition using diskpart but getting the following error: Delete is not allowed on the...
  9. Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive: I have 2 hard drives and both are 500gb. First hard drive have installed Windows on it and all the programs. If i was to install Vmware on my second hard disk and then install windows on it, would i get better performance? My host OS would be running on first hard...
  10. System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System cannot find hard drive to put system image on: Greetings, I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10 in File Explorer and otherwise works. But the system backup windows cannot find it. I hit the refresh option and it does...