Windows 10: Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values

Discus and support Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've consistently noticed that there is such a vast difference between the disk usage calculation reported in the Properties dialog box and what I know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joyelle Jolie (joy), Aug 13, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values

I've consistently noticed that there is such a vast difference between the disk usage calculation reported in the Properties dialog box and what I know to be the actual disk usage - confirmed by a utility that I use, TreeSize. See below:

Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values 9516fa21-d96a-42c4-b319-ffa3ab771bc0?upload=true.jpg

On the left side, Windows 10 reports only 21.2 Gb in the Documents folder on D:

On the right side, TreeSize reports 275 Gb in the Documents folder on D: - which is accurate.

Why?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Joy

:)

Joyelle Jolie (joy), Aug 13, 2019

2. Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 13, 2019
  3. Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

Details tab.
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values

Rapid Disk Usage Variations on Windows 10.

Hi Crackers,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Widows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are facing issues with access the operating system as it randomly performs slow and becomes slow. We will help you with this issue.

Provide us the below details to assist you better:

• Do let us know the make and model of your device?
    • Does this issue persists when you place your laptop in Safe mode as well?
    • Is this issue specific while performing and particular task on your device?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

step 1: Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 10, you may try the following steps.

Details
      tab.

OK.

Also, refer to: Free
    up drive space in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values

1. Windows 10 - radical discrepancy in disk usage values - Similar Threads - radical discrepancy disk

2. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk usage in windows 10: dear sir ,I have winows 10 on my laptop when windows update enabled my disk usage is 100% and laptop became very slow when disabled disk usage is around 5% and laptop became very good .please your help to keep windows update enabled and accepte disk usage Thank you...
  3. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk usage in windows 10: dear sir ,I have winows 10 on my laptop when windows update enabled my disk usage is 100% and laptop became very slow when disabled disk usage is around 5% and laptop became very good .please your help to keep windows update enabled and accepte disk usage Thank you...
  4. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Major discrepancy in disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major discrepancy in disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/IG_CrimsonTwilight [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m75oe4/major_discrepancy_in_disk_space/
  6. Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?: So basically on my C: Drive Windows is taking up about 60GB of space. The disk image I created on my internal HDD is 90GB and the one I just created on my new external HDD is 40GB. Anyone got any idea what that's all about? 170399
  7. Windows 10 Memory discrepancy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Memory discrepancy: https://imgur.com/a/41DWWim The RAM usage in Performance tab shows 6.4GB usage while User tab show 1.8GB usage. I already ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool before taking these images. I dont know where the 4GB+ is being used, is this a memory leak? submitted by...
  8. RAM usage total discrepancy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM usage total discrepancy: Why is this? The total ram usage from users is just 8 GB while total RAM in use is more than 13 GB, which is more than a 5 GB discrepancy. Always it is the same, there is a gap ranging from 4 GB to 6GB. The shared GPU memory at the time was 0.5 GB. Even though I turn off the...
  9. Windows 10 - Difference Between Disk Usage Values in Drive Properties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Difference Between Disk Usage Values in Drive Properties: My son asked me about the difference between the hard disk usage values in the drive properties. I did not have a good answer for this, so I thought I would ask. I always assumed it had something to do with the 1024 byte allocation calculation, however I am not sure, and I...
  10. Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage: If I open Settings in Windows 10, then go to System > Storage, I get the following usage for C: 161Gb used of 285Gb whereas File Explorer gives the more sensible 21Gb used of 145Gb, which is almost certainly the correct values, given that it is a 145Gb partition, and is a...