Windows 10: Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's

Discus and support Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A COMPLETE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: PLEASE, HELP! In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, RAID 1, Two SSD's, I see Optimize shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephHW, Jan 10, 2020.

1. JosephHW Win User

Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A COMPLETE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: PLEASE, HELP!

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, RAID 1, Two SSD's, I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT Windows System Assessment Tool from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index = WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE.

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt keine Rechte”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell."

In reply to Sumit Independent Advisor's post on January 5, 2020

How can I verify/be certain? In the Windows 8 advice, copied from the Microsoft Community, you see there can be an issue especially in RAID 1 configuration, where the hard drives are not recognized as SSD, and a corrective procedure is given for Windows 8, but I have Windows 10. Is there some equivalent method to confirm my SSD's are receiving TRIM, not Defragment? I ran "optimize" manually, and to my eyes, the process looked exactly like the "defragment" I've run for years on my old, Windows 7 with HDD. As you see, I want to exercise extreme caution in protecting these 2, extremely expensive 2TB SSD's.

• Independent Advisor

I agree to a certain extent about RAID that the things are unclearI have to ask that to TPTB but for normal configs please see this article from a Microsoft Employee.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndComple...

In reply to Sumit Independent Advisor's post on January 6, 2020

I did read the article you referenced. While I am not a very technical person, I can see my issue is different than the issue addressed in that article. The article revolves around how Windows treats, maintains a SSD, and in the example "optimize window" the drive is clearly called "SSD" by Windows. IN MY OPTIMIZER, the drive is called "Hard Drive", and this is the first basis of my concern that the drive is not being maintained as a SSD.

I very much appreciate your offer to further investigate. Again, please note my system is RAID 1, with 2 mirrored, 2TB SSD's, "hardware based RAID" with the controller on the motherboard. I will await further information. Again, my issue/concern is not so much how Windows maintains an SSD, rather whether Windows sees my array AS SSD.

:)

JosephHW, Jan 10, 2020
  2. JosephHW Win User

Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"

Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

You will see:

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell.

JosephHW, Jan 10, 2020
  3. JosephHW Win User

How can I verify/be certain? In the Windows 8 advice, copied from the Microsoft Community, you see there can be an issue especially in RAID (1) configuration, where the hard drive(s) are not recognized as SSD, and a corrective procedure is given (for
    Windows 8, but I have Windows 10). Is there some equivalent method to confirm my SSD's are receiving TRIM, not Defragment? I ran "optimize" manually, and to my eyes, the process looked exactly like the "defragment" I've run for years on my old, Windows 7
    with HDD. As you see, I want to exercise extreme caution in protecting these 2, extremely expensive 2TB SSD's.

JosephHW, Jan 10, 2020
  4. JosephHW Win User

I did read the article you referenced. While I am not a very technical person, I can see my issue is different than the issue addressed in that article. The article revolves around how Windows treats, maintains a SSD, and in the example "optimize window"
    the drive is clearly called "SSD" by Windows. IN MY OPTIMIZER, the drive is called "Hard Drive", and this is the first basis of my concern that the drive is not being maintained as a SSD.

I very much appreciate your offer to further investigate. Again, please note my system is RAID 1, with (2) mirrored, 2TB SSD's, "hardware based RAID" with the controller on the motherboard. I will await further information. Again, my issue/concern is
    not so much how Windows maintains an SSD, rather whether Windows sees my array AS SSD.

JosephHW, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's - Similar Threads - Raid Optimize shows

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  4. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  5. In my case if try repair windows 10 in SSD, RAID 1 HDD WILL NEEDED REBUILD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In my case if try repair windows 10 in SSD, RAID 1 HDD WILL NEEDED REBUILD: In my case if try repair windows 10 C:/ in SSD, RAID 1 HDD F:/ WILL NEEDED REBUILD My Windows is problematic I did system restore when a motherboard cable was burned and thought was coming back, after replace cable the result: Windows 10 1909 has problems I can Not...
  6. Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD: In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, RAID 1, Two SSD's, I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for this regarding Windows...
  7. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question: Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any...
  8. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10 1803. It has a 1 TB SATA disk configured for AHCI, no RAID. Intel RST is running with Optane enabled. Component services recognizes it as a hard disk, but Windows optimize says it is a solid state drive. Device manager and RST think it...
  9. Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've added a hard drive to my system to enable raid 1 via windows 10 Pro (not hardware raid). my main drive has 4 partitions which were set up when I installed windows 8.1. I have since upgraded to 10 pro. I assume these partitions...
  10. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 thinks my 2 raid 1 ssd drives are hdd cant optimize