Windows 10: Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2

Discus and support Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all - Some background: I started getting BSOD when updating to 20H2 back in February. Under pressure, I rolled back to the previous version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ThisIsCrispy, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2

Hello all - Some background: I started getting BSOD when updating to 20H2 back in February. Under pressure, I rolled back to the previous version of Windows via reset to continue working. I have since been "auto-upgraded" 5 times and each time have immediately encountered random BSOD every time I was hoping it was a widespread issue to be addressed that I could wait for. However it happened again today and today I've tried everything I am aware of to do, including memory diagnostic no memory errors, SMART diagnostic all good, running sfc /scannow found files, fixed them, claimed there w

:)

ThisIsCrispy, Sep 20, 2021
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

3. Ztruker Win User
    Random BSOD while browsing internet

Sorry, Bitdefender is a problem: BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER - mwac.sys - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help - Malwarebytes Forums

Ztruker, Sep 20, 2021
  4. Bonn84 Win User

Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2

Random BSOD errors

Background

• Whilst only bought recently, my laptop (Dell XPS 9560) has a history with random BSOD errors that tend to increase in frequency with time until the laptop becomes unusable.
    • The laptop was given a fresh format and installation recently.
    • Software installed – Installed Windows 10, Office, Winrar, Adobe Reader, Visual Studio 2015, SQL Server, Chrome, DropBox, Google Backup and Sync
    • Within two weeks it reverted to giving BSOD errors.
    Symptoms

• Random BSOD errors
      • Page fault in non-paged area (NTFS.sys)
      • IRQL not less than or equal
    • Backup and Sync crashes very regularly (no user friendly message, just googledrivesync.exe has stopped working)
    • Chrome crashes quite regularly (ah snap! message). This happened both before and after the format.
    • Windows Update fails
    Things I tried

• Uninstalling and re-installing Chrome and Backup & Sync
    • Downloaded and installed Dell Updates
      • Specifically a BIOS update (installed successfully)
    • Ran Dell Diagnostics (at boot time)
      • No issues found
    • Ran Dell SupportAssist Hardware Checkup
      • Succeeded
    • Windows Update
      • In Normal Mode: Message shows up indicating that the system is not up to date. Upon clicking Check for Updates, updates seem to download but then quit abruptly during installation. Same error indicating system is not up to date shows.
      • In Safe Mode: Upon clicking Check for Updates the Windows Update window closes abruptly.
    • sfc /scannow
      • In Normal Mode: Error at 3%: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation
      • In Safe Mode: Ran successfully, no violations found
    • Chkdsk /f c:
      • Ran successfully
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic
      • Succeeded
    • MemTest86 (more advanced memory test)
      • Freezes mid-way (tried twice)
    • Ran Dell SupportAssist Drivers and Downloads
      • BIOS update
      • Network driver (Intel 8265) – Failed. Installed separately through device manager.
    • Step #9 seems to have solved some of the issues:
      • Windows update succeeded (#4)
      • Sfc /scannow succeeded in normal mode (#5)
      • BSOD errors persisted though (091317-8562-01.dmp occurred after the update)
    Thing I did not try

• Eliminating hardware (e.g., memory stick)
    • Running Driver verifier

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Bonn84, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2

1. Windows 10 Random BSOD on updating to 20H2 - Similar Threads - Random BSOD updating

2. Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2: Let me first say, I have done all the usual recommendations. Update to latest drivers, Memtest, Windows Update... Memtest shows no errors, Windows Update is now 20H2. SFC shows no errors, same with CHKDSK.Device: HP Pavilion 15-CS2xxx series I-7-8565U, 24Gb, 4Gb NVidia, 480...
  3. Windows 10 - 20H2 update failed - now BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - 20H2 update failed - now BSOD: Hi, I have an older Dell XSP L702X laptop that I use for work tasks, was working wonderful in Windows 10 1906 then when the 20H2 feature update arrived it failed to install, waited a few weeks and tried again but this time it installed and did a few BSOD crashes with error...
  4. BSODs after 20H2 update

BSODs after 20H2 update: Getting a lot of BSODs after updating to 20H2. It happens right after start/restart PC, after it shows log on screen, in a few seconds it goes blank then back with a BSOD, saying "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area". I've zipped minidump and uploaded it to my Onedrive here:...
  5. Mouse freezes randomly Windows 10 20H2

Mouse freezes randomly Windows 10 20H2: Hi everyone, I did a windows 10 fresh install one or two months ago. I noticed my mouse freezes randomly when i'm browsing in chrome or playing games. My hardware: - intel DH67BL board - i7-3770 3.4 ghz - 12 gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram - rx 480 4gb no overclock - 250 gb...
  6. Update 20H2 freezing windows Randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update 20H2 freezing windows Randomly: Anyone else having random lock ups after updating to 20H2? Windows 10 becomes unresponsive at random times. I can move my mouse and open the start menu, but no windows/programs will open, not even task manager. Shutdown/restart does not work also, I am forced to do a hard...
  7. Intermittent BSOD - Windows 10 20H2

Intermittent BSOD - Windows 10 20H2: I have seen a couple BSODs on my new PC; very infrequently; I suspect there is some instability with drivers for the new hard. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - dxgmms2.sys Minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kUcLNA9FWiAYlOo9Bqa9oqIW7lk4tHZl/view?usp=sharing System...
  8. BSOD Windows 10 20H2

BSOD Windows 10 20H2: Hello, i got many BSODs lately and got a Memory Dump. Can you analyze it for investigation? Greetings MM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-windows-10-20h2/4b881d75-7eee-4e60-866d-09b95c665d63
  9. Random Freeze and Unresponsiveness [Windows 10 20H2]

Random Freeze and Unresponsiveness [Windows 10 20H2]: I recently updated to Windows 10 20H2 from 2004. Since then I have been experiencing random freezes, lock-ups, and unresponsiveness. I could be watching a video and the video would pause, the touchpad won't respond, touch won't work, and the power key won't sign me off. The...
  10. BSOD randomly since Windows 10 update

BSOD randomly since Windows 10 update: Got the BSOD twice today. First time was "kernel security check failure" and the second was "system thread exception not handled". This system was totally stable before the recent update. I have an HP envy touch 15 with i7 processor, 16gb ram, nvidia graphics, etc....