Windows 10: Windows 10 random BSODs after 1803 update - Windows Search Service problem?

Discus and support Windows 10 random BSODs after 1803 update - Windows Search Service problem? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Long story short, I've spent the last few weeks trying to root cause a problem with BSODs that pop up within 30 seconds of booting into normal Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LightCC, Sep 6, 2018.

1. LightCC Win User

Windows 10 random BSODs after 1803 update - Windows Search Service problem?

Long story short, I've spent the last few weeks trying to root cause a problem with BSODs that pop up within 30 seconds of booting into normal Windows 10, that started immediately after the 1803 update was pushed to my PC.

Safe mode works fine, and diagnostic boots work fine. After a long road of trying many things, I started with a diagnostic boot into normal windows and just started "splitting the dictionary" by adding services back in. Splitting the Dictionary means you add half the services, and see if it fails. If it does, you swap which half is enabled, and see if it works, if just one half fails, you then split that one in half, etc.

Using this method I finally narrowed my problem down to the Windows Search service. I've been able to restore every other service using the System Configuration tool (msconfig.exe). As soon as I enable Windows Search, the BSODS happen within 30 seconds of booting, whether I just sit at the log-in screen, or log-in or whatever.

The BSODs lately seem to favor a "Memory_Management" error, but I've had a wide array of them, including an amdpsp.sys driver when I tried using Driver Verifier to fix things, but after updating bios, MB drivers, nVidia drivers, etc., nothing has worked, except to keep the Windows Search service off.

Any suggestions what to do next to narrow this down further?

It's not like I absolutely must figure out how to reenable indexing and Windows Search, but I want to figure out what went wrong and make sure it's fixed, especially before the new 1810 version gets pushed to me, whether I want it or not (I'm really not bitter - well, too much).

Thanks for any help.

:)

LightCC, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Drone Win User
  3. btarunr Win User
    Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Windows 10 random BSODs after 1803 update - Windows Search Service problem? pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Sep 6, 2018
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 random BSODs after 1803 update - Windows Search Service problem? - Similar Threads - random BSODs 1803

2. Search problem after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search problem after windows 10 update: Heyy helper, I just updated my windows lappy and now after some time while I was working on it I realised that I had to press the enter key after I had entered the keywords that I had to search..... Is there a way where u can revert it back to like the old windows where as u...
  3. Windows 10 1803 BSoDs & Update problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1803 BSoDs & Update problems: I've been using the day to sort out my BSoD issue that's be plaguing me for some time. It started with a 1809 update failure at the beginning of the year and this week has been giving me 'System Thread Exception', 'System Thread Exception Not Handles' and...
  4. activation problem in windows 10 version 1803 after update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activation problem in windows 10 version 1803 after update: i got my laptop about 2 month ago and it came with windows 10 home. it was running a older version. after it got updated to version 1803, it is showing that the windows is not activated. if i try to go to the activation page in settings it just crashes and closes the...
  5. Problems with windows update 1803

Problems with windows update 1803: Hi everyone, I'm currently having problems with one of my budgeting software. Two weeks ago it was working fine however just two days ago it started giving me problems. All problems give me the same error message "Cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset"....
  6. Windows 10 1803 updating problem

Windows 10 1803 updating problem: Hi to all, when i want to try update my windows 10 build 14393 to 1803 i encounter with a problem. update downloaded successfuly but after that windows stuck on the preparing to installation at 0% and do not do any thing!! can any one give an advice to me to solve the...
  7. Windows 10 1803 Update Random Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1803 Update Random Freezes: So I just updated and used Win 10 1803 from 1709 for 6 months, and during these 6 months, I've experienced random freezes while using Windows, especially when I play League Of Legends, the freezes are so annoying, it cannot be the Hardware Problems since my PC has just...
  8. Windows 1803 update problems

Windows 1803 update problems: Hello, I've had problems with the April update 1803 on my desktop computer since it first started rolling out. At first it would go through the installation process, stopping at a black screen mid-installation, at which point I would restart the computer then it would...
  9. Bunch of problems (Internet, Search, Chrome partially not working) after windows 1803 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bunch of problems (Internet, Search, Chrome partially not working) after windows 1803 update: Hi community, I have been facing a bunch of problems after the windows 1803 update. I think wifi is the problem here which creates a chain of software failures. Main cause: Wifi gets corrupted. The wifi gets corrupted and says "Internet may not be available" but I'm...
  10. Windows crashing with BSOD after 1803 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crashing with BSOD after 1803 update: Hello guys, I am running Windows 10 Pro x64. On 12 May 2018 I updated to build 1803 via in place upgrade (ISO) . It installed 17134.1 and after an update it changed to 17134.48 When I booted it around a week later it displayed the BSOD with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT I tried to...