Windows 10: Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error, may be Windows related? Please help.

Discus and support Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error, may be Windows related? Please help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I asked about this before and got no where on this site, so I will try again but with a lot more troubleshooting I did. I have gotten this random... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sharp461, May 23, 2019.

1. sharp461 Win User

Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error, may be Windows related? Please help.

So I asked about this before and got no where on this site, so I will try again but with a lot more troubleshooting I did. I have gotten this random internet error. Everything would be working fine and then just suddenly I have no internet, and having Windows troubleshoot it gives me the error "The DNS server isn't responding." The strange thing is though, my wifi was still working perfectly fine (tested on phone) and the other PC in the house that is wired had no issues, so that rules out my router/modem. Still to be on the safe side, I did my own troubleshooting and what others online mentioned to do, and so I: 1) restarted the modem and router, 2) bought a new LAN cable just in case, 3) changed the DNS server manually to Googles', 4) updated the LAN adapter drivers, 5) disabled and enabled the LAN adapter, 6) flushed the DNS and renewed IP, 7) can ping ip addresses (including Google's DNS 8.8.8.8) but cannot ping actual websites, 8) nslookup does not work, 9) checked IP lease and was well within the lease period when problem occurs, 10) completely bypassed my router and plugged into the modem, 11) updated router firmware, and 12) installed new Windows Updates.

None of these solutions I read online worked and only one thing fixes it, restarting the PC. This led me to believe that this is a Windows issue, not any of my hardware. Not even shutting down fixed it though I believe that has to do with Windows Fast Startup feature, which also fuels my believe it is Windows related. Considering it is only my PC which seems to be affected, and even if it lost the internet, everything else on the Network is working fine. And if the only fix seems to be to restart, then something in Windows is causing this. I just checked too when the last Windows update was, and wouldn't you believe it, 4/10/2019, update KB4493509. My issue only started happening on 4/14 ( I remember because Game of Thrones was starting soon). Never had an issue before, and that update is pretty close to cause me to wonder if it messed something up.

Also, the error seems to be pretty random, as it happened once, I restarted and all was good for the rest of the night. Then I left the PC on overnight to download a game and when I woke up, the game had finished and installed successfully but I lost internet again (this was on 4/14-15). After I restarted again and installed the new LAN drivers just in case, I didn't have this issue again until 4/23, and then 5/6 and then 5/22. So I just wanted to ask if others have seen this issue, and if Microsoft is aware of any problems with the update or Windows 10 in general causing DNS errors that only a restart seems to fix. Also, what in Windows could actually cause this problem? Thanks.

I also checked my Netgear Genie on my PC to see that it supposedly says I'm connected o the router, but trying to log in says it can't find it. In fact,. I can't log into my router through my browser either when this problem happens, yet I can still ping stuff and the router does say I am connected with an IP and everything. I am definitely leaning towards windows at fault, but what in Windows could actually cause this?

:)

sharp461, May 23, 2019

2. How do I fix the the DNS Server Not Responding Windows 10?

I can not fix the "DNS Server Not Responding" error on my personal laptop (Windows 10 [on my work laptop in order to post]).

I have followed help steps from:

How to Fix DNS Server Not Responding Windows 10?

Solve DNS Server Not Responding Errors on Your Network

How to Release and Renew IP Addresses in Windows

Resetting Testing for - Microsoft Community

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...nection-issues

All which have not resolved the DNS connection issue.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

AussieStudent81, May 23, 2019
  3. Chriso747 Win User
    Chriso747, May 23, 2019
  4. Jim Hwell Win User

Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error, may be Windows related? Please help.

Windows 10 DNS Server not responding

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my MSI Laptop. After install, I keep getting a
    "DNS Server not responding". When I switch back to Windows 8, the computer and Internet Connectivity works fine. I tried re-installing Windows 10 again today with the same problem, "DNS server not responding". I am now back on Windows 8.1.

Any Suggestions?

Jim Hwell, May 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error, may be Windows related? Please help. - Similar Threads - random DNS server

2. dns server not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dns server not responding: dns server not responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-not-responding/8ead3d5a-127f-450c-982b-fb38a781243b
  3. DNS server not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS server not responding: Using Windows 10One website loading fineAny other is unreachable - troubleshooting saying "DNS server is not responding" WiFi connection is perfectly fine through my phone I have searched the other responses but they haven't worked... help!...
  4. DNS Server Not Responding

DNS Server Not Responding: Error message: DNS server is not responding. The screen shots they show to fix it don't match my Windows 10 screens. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-not-responding/f3e136f5-e7c7-427d-80f3-95803abbaa71
  5. DNS server is not responding on Windows 10

DNS server is not responding on Windows 10: Hello, I have two issues. 1, DNS server is not responding. I have issue when I try to connect to Ethernet or wifi it says No internet and got the yellow exclamation mark on it. When troubleshooting the network it says DNS server is not responding. I have tried all...
  6. DNS Server is not responding - Windows 10

DNS Server is not responding - Windows 10: OK, so I have read several articles on this and absolutely nothing I have tried works. I have tried: - Disabling my antivirus (Windows Defender) - Following the Command Window commands suggested everywhere as a fix for this: ipconfig/all netsh int ip reset netsh winsock...
  7. Windows 10 random DNS server isn't responding error.

Windows 10 random DNS server isn't responding error.: OK, so for the past two weeks, I have gotten this random internet error (almost like once a week). Everything would be working fine and then just suddenly I have no internet, and having Windows troubleshoot it gives me the error "The DNS server isn't responding." The strange...
  8. Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error.

Windows 10 random DNS server not responding error.: OK, so for the past week, I have gotten this random internet error. Everything would be working fine and then just suddenly I have no internet, and having Windows troubleshoot it gives me the error "The DNS server isn't responding." The strange thing is though, my wifi was...
  9. DNS server not responding

DNS server not responding: DNS server not responding. Continuing message 'Not connected to internet" but it is. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-not-responding/e5939f0f-55dd-4c90-bcd9-75e4eef69c79
  10. Windows 10 - DNS Server Not responding

Windows 10 - DNS Server Not responding: Hello, I have tried everything mentioned in https://www.xtremerain.com/fix-dns-server-responding-windows/ and other places on the web: 1. Resetting and renewing DNS with ipconfig / flushdns, registerdns, release, and renew and then restarting. 2. Changing DNS server...