Windows 10: Windows 10 random freeze and lag due to pagefile settings

Discus and support Windows 10 random freeze and lag due to pagefile settings in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am facing a strange problem on Windows 10. The OS shows lags and random freezes, in particular with multimedia applications like Netflix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by matteof93, Mar 26, 2019.

1. matteof93 Win User

Windows 10 random freeze and lag due to pagefile settings

Hello, I am facing a strange problem on Windows 10.

The OS shows lags and random freezes, in particular with multimedia applications like Netflix (both dedicated app and browser, tested on edge, chrome and firefox) but also with VLC and other media players. The same problems appear randomly when browsing webpages with embedded videos but not on youtube. Basically the pc freezes for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to normal conditions for a few seconds, then it freezes again and so on.

I noticed that the problem disappears when I change the settings related to the pagefile dimension (by setting custom dimension or disabling it) but then after a couple of reboots the problem appears again.

All my drivers are up to date, moreover it is not a problem related to malware because I tried to reinstall the OS from scratch and the problem is still there.

Windows Version: 10.0.17763 build 17763

Fun fact: I also run an Ubuntu virtual machine inside Windows (using virtualbox) and it does not show any of these problems. Netflix works perfectly as any other media content.

Current hardware configuration:

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 960T (not overclocked, it is perfectly stable)

24 GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz (tested with memtest, they are ok)

AMD R9 280X GPU (latest drivers installed, not overclocked)

250 GB Samsung SSD

LG 21:9 29" monitor + Asus 21.5" 16:9 monitor

:)

matteof93, Mar 26, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Windows 10 random freeze

Hi,

Did you make any changes recently to the computer which may have led to random freeze?

Random hangs are often due to damage to the Windows configuration, faulty hardware, or malware. However, because this behavior is random, it can be especially difficult to identify the proper cause.

Random hangs can also be caused by other faulty hardware. Consult with your PC manufacturer to run available hardware diagnostics. This could include:

• PC diagnostics that test the integrity of the core PC devices, such as the processor fans and cooling system
    • Video and display diagnostics
    • Additional hard drive diagnostics

I would request you to perform SFC scan(if you have not tried it) and then check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to
    scan for corruptions in Windows system files
    and restore corrupted files.

To know about SFC and to perform a SFC Scan, please refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Please revert if you still face the random hang.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 random freeze and lag due to pagefile settings - Similar Threads - random freeze lag

2. Windows 10 very very very Slow. Freezes. Lags. Randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 very very very Slow. Freezes. Lags. Randomly.: Hi Therei recently updatedmy windows 8.1 to 10, and I'm having an huge performance issue.Everything lags. Strucks. And simple operations, opening files, programs, everything lags.it has became so slow that booting takes minutes.It is so slow that in now search button's also...
  3. Windows 10 very very very Slow. Freezes. Lags. Randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 very very very Slow. Freezes. Lags. Randomly.: Hi Therei recently updatedmy windows 8.1 to 10, and I'm having an huge performance issue.Everything lags. Strucks. And simple operations, opening files, programs, everything lags.it has became so slow that booting takes minutes.It is so slow that in now search button's also...
  4. Windows 10 very very very Slow. Freezes. Lags. Randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My computer randomly lag, and the screen was freeze.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer randomly lag, and the screen was freeze.: and the windows turn off the HID compliant headset driverhere is my DMP filehttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1annrK1skd-e-aFR0lrm8hLivpQmytsis?usp=sharingplease help me....
  6. Random UI freezes bad lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random UI freezes bad lag: wish i knew why my pc was stuttering lately. i get some serious UI lag now or like click the start menu button and nothing happens for like a minute or no windows load and shit like that then it happens all at once. i thought maybe it was hardware related but now im wondering...
  7. Windows 10 keeps lagging and freezing randomly for long and short periods

Windows 10 keeps lagging and freezing randomly for long and short periods: I've got a computer that started to freeze even when there are NO programs running! I know because I have a clock app with the seconds ticking by. The seconds will literally freeze in place and then jump forward after the freeze and it affects my mouse sometimes. Even trying...
  8. Random & Brief PC Lag/Freezing

Random & Brief PC Lag/Freezing: So for a while now, I have been having problems in applications such as games and in web browsers where what I am doing seemingly freezes for around a second before rapidly catching up. For example, it did it as I was wiring this very message. I typed in ar then everything...
  9. Random freezing of windows while charging due to SSD

Random freezing of windows while charging due to SSD: I got Acer Predator Helios 300 with windows 10 home,i5-core 8th gen,8 GB RAM,128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD with 4 GB Graphics Recently i got stuck with my windows 10 and i have to install new windows copy from the Microsoft official website. I got the new windows through a USB...
  10. Windows 10 Explorer freezing and lagging randomly

Windows 10 Explorer freezing and lagging randomly: I have had this problem before, windows explorer is freezing and causing other programs to lag, even as i am writing this i type and have to wait more than 5 sec for the text on screen to appear. file explorer glitches from dark mode occasionally turning white and scrolling...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hotmail lags and freezes when writing email

2. windows 10 lag and freeze