Windows 10: Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

Discus and support Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Windows 10 1909 is stopping the SSDP Discovery service at random intervals, even if the service startup type is set to Automatic. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alan Mintaka, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

Hello Everyone,

Windows 10 1909 is stopping the SSDP Discovery service at random intervals, even if the service startup type is set to Automatic. This effectively makes my PC invisible to other PCs on the network.

The only way I've found around this problem is

1. Access Windows Services
    2. Find the the SSDP Discovery service. It will not be running.
    3. Restart the SSDP service. Ensure that the startup type is still set to Automatic. The PC is now visible on the network.
    4. Some time later, Windows 10 will arbitrarily stop SSDP Discovery again, and the PC will not be visible on the network. I repeat steps 1-3 to get it running again.

Why does Windows 10 do this? Do I have to keep re-starting the service this way in order to keep my PC visible on the network?

Thanks for your time,

:)

Alan Mintaka, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Yu Huang Win User

SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Yu Huang Win User
    SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

How do I change the ports that Print Spooler & SSDP Discovery are using in Windows 10 17134?

I'm trying to setup a local server and Nginx and Apache won't load because Print Spooler & SSDP Discovery are using port 80. How can I change the port these programs use so I don't have to type :8080 after every request on my local server (which also showed a https error and didn't work, ughh)

Steps Taken so Far:

• Noticed port 80 is in use when trying to start Nginx
    • Ran netstat and found PID 4 is using port 80
    • Found PID 4 is a system process in Task Manager
    • Ran "net HTTP stop" which shows me Print Spooler & SSDP Recovery are using port 80; allegedly through http.sys driver.

Notes:

• If I run "net HTTP stop" it says it can't shut down the HTTP service after shutting down the programs using it. (If I run the command again it shows it's still trying to shut down the service and does nothing)
    • I want to use my printer so I don't really want to stop it anyways

Blake Bell, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

1. Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service - Similar Threads - randomly stops SSDP

2. Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!: Hello, I happened to have discovered from the last few months that there's some mysteriously unknown task schedule that happens to trigger Background Intelligent Transfer Service as well as SSDP Discovery to run in the background either at system start up or a few hours...
  3. Windows services randomly stopping?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows services randomly stopping?: So I've recently had this issue with my new computer, where core Windows services will stop, i.e. Windows Update, Search Indexing. I go into services, set the disabled ones to "Automatic", then click Start, but after a while, the core services will set themselves to...
  4. SSDP messages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSDP messages: Windows 10 is sending multicast ssdp packets, on what purpose they are used and how to stop them? I have ssdp and upnp services disabled. From wireshark. ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1\r\n USER-AGENT: Microsoft Edge/85.0.564.70 Windows\r\n [Full request URI:...
  5. SSDP discovery could not start

SSDP discovery could not start: When I try to start the SSDP discovery, shows Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. What shoud I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssdp-discovery-could-not-start/e260d140-9318-4a54-a959-5fe97f7a834d
  6. "Function Discovery Resource Publication service" keeps stopping.

"Function Discovery Resource Publication service" keeps stopping.: This started with 1803. This service is set to run automatically. It stops running 2-3 times a month and must be restarted manually. When it stops running the PC is no longer visible on the local network. Does anyone know why it stops or how to keep it from stopping?...
  7. SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

in Windows 10 Support
    SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break: Hello everyone, I've had this issue for over a year now and have tried asking other places with no luck. The issue is my Windows will randomly get stuck on starting the SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" service. I noticed this because on random cold starts my PC would sometimes not...
  8. Function Discovery Provider Host randomly stops

Function Discovery Provider Host randomly stops: I have set up the 4 primary network related services as "Automatic - delayed start" on my local systems to get them networked properly. These services are (1) "Function Discovery Provider Host", (2) "Function Discovery Resource Publication", (3) "SSDP Discovery", and (4)...
  9. Windows Defender service stops randomly

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender service stops randomly: Suddenly the Windows Defender service keeps turning itself off. I haven't detected a pattern leading to the behavior yet, it just seems to happen randomly. I'll glance down at the icon in the systray and see the red "x". I double-click it, then hit the "Restart" button in the...
  10. Network discovery stopped working

Network discovery stopped working: I know this problem has been discussed with many variants but not quite the same as I'm experiencing, so I'm starting a new thread. I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and everything was running perfectly, that is until two days ago when the computers on the...