Windows 10: Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade

Discus and support Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 many years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was offered, which granted me a digital license. Recently, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by David22230, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade

I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 many years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was offered, which granted me a digital license. Recently, I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. But, before I did this I linked my upgraded Windows 10 to my Microsoft account so that after I completed my hardware upgrade I would be able to re-activate my Windows 10 for my new motherboard. However, after attempting to do so I received a error message saying that it was unavailable. I then contacted customer support who then stated I must buy a new activation key for Windows 10 because my digital license was a free upgrade and I was not allowed to transfer that license. I stated to the customer support that I have read many forums through the Microsoft website explaining that I was entitled to transfer my license since my original license was retail and my upgrade was still considered retail. However, they said I was wrong. I then bought a new license for $140 and after I once again read on the Microsoft website that it does not matter if the license was a free upgrade I was still entitled to transfer the license.

So my question is, was I provided with incorrect information from customer service?

Reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/changed-motherboard-now-my-copy-of-windows-10-isnt/55efe00d-6259-4782-8c8c-53b72cf1abb4

:)

David22230, Dec 24, 2019
  2. skippy258 Win User

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

this search might help you https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...o+to+get+it+activated+windows+10+blocked+keys

From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free and ended up in a non-activated state, try following these steps:

• Go to Start
      Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade [​IMG]
      , then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    • Select Go to Store, and check to see if a valid license is available for your device. If a license isn't available, you'll need to buy Windows from the Store.

Note
      • This only applies if you haven't made changes to the hardware for your device.

or you could hack it with a crack but please note this is always risky and you don't know what's in the hack

skippy258, Dec 24, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Dec 24, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

This kinda sucks. However, if one is upgrading from a retail W7/8, then it should activate on different hardware, with possible phone activation required if it's been over 120 days or whatever the timeout period is now since the last activation. Remember to erase the copy on the old hardware, of course.

qubit, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade

1. Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - activation hardware upgrade

2. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working: I build my computer over a decade ago. I had upgraded from XP to 7 pro, to 8 pro, to 10 pro. The issue I have is that I had a working computer last week. I decided to upgrade my 6-year-old computer to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory because it was time.Saturday I bought a new...
  3. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working: I build my computer over a decade ago. I had upgraded from XP to 7 pro, to 8 pro, to 10 pro. The issue I have is that I had a working computer last week. I decided to upgrade my 6-year-old computer to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory because it was time.Saturday I bought a new...
  4. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Trouble re-activating Windows 10 Home after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trouble re-activating Windows 10 Home after hardware upgrade: I recently swapped out the motherboard and boot drive on my PC and need to re-activate my Windows 10 Home license. Naturally, the first thing I tried was my product key. I left my Windows 10 packaging at my parents' house though, so before I upgraded I used ProduKey to find...
  6. Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change: I've changed a hardware recently and I can't re-activate a Windows 10 that I've received for free on my new configuration with the following message: We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows....
  7. Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade

Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade: Hi, I upgraded to W10 way back when the free upgrade was being offered. I recently got a new PC but kept my existing SSD with W10 on. It's suddenly decided my copy of W10 isn't activated/genuine. I've read through all the guides and done all the recommended troubleshooting...
  8. Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade: Hi, Hoping I can get a bit of help. I replaced my motherboard and cpu and even though I had a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account, I now can't re-activate windows. I get the error: 'Something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a...
  9. Cannot re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade

Cannot re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade: Hi, so I've recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM and my Windows requests to be activated. Immediately on opening the Settings>Activation page I'm greeted with error code 0x80072EE2. Solutions tried: I've read the FAQs and tried to use...
  10. How to re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade?

How to re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade?: Hi, I have a (legit) copy of Windows 10 and I've just upgraded my PC's motherboard and GPU. Windows is telling me that I need to activate again my license. When I choose the "I've recently upgrade my hardware" option, I'm redirected to the Windows store to buy a new copy of...