Windows 10: Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel

Discus and support Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi - I've just replaced my PC motherboard, and as part of the prep, followed all the KB articles to check that my current licence was a valid b active... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tallosaurus, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel

Hi - I've just replaced my PC motherboard, and as part of the prep, followed all the KB articles to check that my current licence was a valid b active & linked to my MS account and c digital.

After replacing the motherboard, and following the reactivation prompts, I got the "Windows is not activated etc Error Code 0xC004F211..." message, and clicked on "Troubleshooting" as the KB suggested, then chose the "I changed hardware on this device recently" option, but then a window launches that says "Unable to activate Windows...we can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available etc etc"

I've checked my licence status using the slmgr /dlv and it tells me it's Retail Channel, on Notification, shows partial key, and a Reason of 0xC004F034

I am signed into my MS account on the machine when doing the above.

I've called MS support twice, but am always told I need to provide my original Win8 Retail Licence Key - which, sadly I have no idea where it is. I took the free upgrade to Win10 when it was available - hence the digital licence.

There are a few articles about steps to resolve a 0xC004F034, but I don't want to start changing anything when the steps I've taken in line with the KBs should work. Any thoughts?

:)

Tallosaurus, Jan 27, 2020

2. New Motherboard and Reactivation

Replacement of a mobo with the manufacturer's recommended part should lead to reactivation by phone. Upgrading to any other board invalidates the license and may require a retail copy of Windows. If the OS upgraded from was OEM then the license is gone with an upgrade mobo. If the OS upgraded from was a retail FPP copy, then it can be reactivated on any new mobo installed and so should be the Windows 10 upgrade, although phone activation may be required.

Cbarnhorst, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

Keith Weisshar, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel

Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel

1. Windows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard : Invalid, despite being on retail channel - Similar Threads - Reactivation Motherboard Invalid

2. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard change: Hello, I've just switched motherboards and tried running the troubleshooter to reactivate windows. After clicking hardware change, it loads for a while then pops up saying that the servers are unavailable. I've restarted and checked that my version of windows is up to date....
  3. Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards

Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards: Several years ago I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Key that I no longer have. A year or so ago I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. I recently purchased a new motherboard. Before I went to install and swap my hardware over I was worried about not having the key anymore, so...
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change: Hello, So last night I replaced the motherboard and CPU in my computer and I made sure to watch many videos on reactivating Windows 10 on your PC after a motherboard change. So, after watching those videos I linked my Microsoft account to my product key. I was really tired...
  5. Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard

Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard: Hi, somebody can help me, today i've change (upgrade) my motherboard, i've removed my product key from my old motherboard and when i try to activate to my new motherboard, it said error with 0xC004F025 code i have linked to with my account and it still no working,...
  6. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard: I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would...
  7. Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard

Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard: Got windows 7 Ultimate retail years ago and got Windows 10 pro upgrade. Finally upgraded motherboard and processor and windows won't activate from troubleshooter with error code 0xC004F213. Prior to upgrading I verified my license was digitally linked to my Microsoft...
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I recently upgraded motherboard, the first one I received died very quickly after I first set it up. After returning it and getting a replacement I have been unable to activate Windows 10 Home using the activation troubleshooting wizard. I purchased a Windows 8 Home licence...
  9. Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.

Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Hello folks, hope someone may help me with this. I know this topic was already discussed before, but i still cant find an answer for myself. I had my Windows 7 upgraded to 10 with old pc. I just upgraded my pc with new motherboard,cpu and ram. Now i have trouble with Windows...
  10. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had a working computer with a fully paid Windows 10 Pro installed and it worked fine until the motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard only and windows started up immediately. I was then informed that the existing windows 10 had to be activated again. I do not know how...