Windows 10: Windows 10 reading from multiple SOFTWARE reg hives simultaneously

Discus and support Windows 10 reading from multiple SOFTWARE reg hives simultaneously in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had an issue with a few startup programs that weren't starting at startup. Google back-up-and-sync and Dropbox. They were both marked as enabled in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zvit, Apr 4, 2020.

1. zvit Win User

Windows 10 reading from multiple SOFTWARE reg hives simultaneously

I had an issue with a few startup programs that weren't starting at startup. Google back-up-and-sync and Dropbox. They were both marked as enabled in CCleaner.

When opening the startup tab in windows 10 task manager, things got stranger. Google was listed but dropbox not. In the Google BU-and-Sync preferences, when I toggled the checkbox to run at startup, the row in the task manager startup tab would correctly disappear and appear instantly and accordingly. But with Dropbox, it would never even appear.

So I decided to do more digging and went to the startup items in CCleaner, and right-clicked to choose "open in regedit..."

Each time I did this with a different startup item, it opened regedit in multiple tabs and that's when I realized that it seemed as if I had two versions of the SOFTWARE HIVE in the registry.

When opening regedit from the windows search bar, it opens a different SOFTWARE hive than when opening the registry from CCleaner (see screenshot below - both paths are the same.)

But as you see in the screenshot below, I only have ONE software hive in any given view of the registry.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

Windows 10 reading from multiple SOFTWARE reg hives simultaneously [​IMG]

When comparing HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist from both results, the entries look identical:

:)

zvit, Apr 4, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Jacob Win User

How to create a registry hive file from a .reg backup

The script you have linked is a PowerShell script, it needs to be saved with a .ps1 extension and executed in PowerShell.

Can you try saving it as a .ps1 file and running it, does this resolve your issues?

Edit:

The contents of your .ps1 file should be:

And then just change this C:\MyHive.reg to point to your .reg file and HiveName to the name of the Hive to be created.

Jacob, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 reading from multiple SOFTWARE reg hives simultaneously - Similar Threads - reading multiple SOFTWARE

2. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  3. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  4. Windows 10 how to open multiple shortcuts simultaneously ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 how to open multiple shortcuts simultaneously ?: is it possible to open several shortcuts in File Explorer ?File Explorer allows selection of multiple shortcuts but only one is opened.I know Batch file can do but wish to avoid maintenance of scripting.There's 3rd party apps like following to do but not yet allowed in my...
  5. Windows 10 how to open multiple shortcuts simultaneously ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 how to open multiple shortcuts simultaneously ?: is it possible to open several shortcuts in File Explorer ?File Explorer allows selection of multiple shortcuts but only one is opened.I know Batch file can do but wish to avoid maintenance of scripting.There's 3rd party apps like following to do but not yet allowed in my...
  6. Can Windows 10 Home record from multiple microphones simultaneously?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can Windows 10 Home record from multiple microphones simultaneously?: TLDR: can Windows 10 record from multiple microphones simultaneously? Full post: I have searched on this forum and the Internet, but have not found a clear answer to this questions: can Windows 10 record from multiple microphones simultaneously? Apologies if this is not the...
  7. Reg using multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reg using multiple monitors: hello guys, so I am attending classes, on my windows laptop, we use MS teams for the classroom interface, but sometimes the classes do get boring, and I want to work on few other projects that would be like a better use of my time. I have a usb c external monitor, which I...
  8. Windows simultaneously in multiple languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows simultaneously in multiple languages: See screenshot below. Windows is currently set to English US in all places, including welcome screen, administrative, etc., but this happened on upgrade to Windows Pro 10. [ATTACH]...
  9. Upgrade to Windows 10 for multiple computers simultaneously

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 for multiple computers simultaneously: Hello guys, I'd like to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 for 2000 computers and the computers is not all the same. It's wasting time and take so much effort if I upgrade it one by one. So I want to upgrade it simultaneously. At least 100 computers a day would be great. I need...
  10. No Multiple Sounds Heard from Simultaneous Audio Playing in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Multiple Sounds Heard from Simultaneous Audio Playing in Win 10?: I notice that whenever I play more than one audio sources, only the sound of the last source played can be heard. All the others become muted. For instance, if I play a video or music using the Media Player and then play a YouTube video using the browser, only the sound...