Windows 10: Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive, everything is installed on the SSD except my games libraries wich are on a HDD. It has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xcj, Nov 22, 2017.

1. XCJ
    xcj Win User

Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD

Hi everyone,

I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive, everything is installed on the SSD except my games libraries wich are on a HDD.

It has the fall update installed (and all updates available also installed).

For some reason windows is constantly reading the HDD and slows everything down (specially in games), i know it's the HDD because i hear it lound & clear, not based on the HDD LED that will blink also with SDD access.

This instalation is the same i had on the last 3 motherboard/cpu combos i had, it was running originaly on a kingston SATA 120Gb SSD, and is now on a Samsung Evo 960 M2 MVNE 250GB SSD (i cloned the content from the kingston to the samsung).

I think the problem started when i switched the SSDs, and i had the problem on my previous motherboard/CPU.

The System is in dual-boot with Kodi LibreELEC, the boot partition and both systems are on the SSD, as i said, only the games libraries are on the HDD.

When i run Kodi LibreElec the HDD is never accessed.

I tried disabling the page file on the HDD, but it is still being constantly used, i tried troubleshooting what is accessing the HDD and all i saw are windows processes, i just don't know why, do you guys have any clues where to look.

If any further information/detail is needed just say so and i will fill in the details.

Many thanks in advance!

:)

2. Fix boot problem (MBR I think?)

Hi

I installed windows 10 on my laptop where it had 2 drives, a SSD and a HDD. The Windwos installed on the SSD but for some reason the MBR (I think is the name?) was installed on the HDD so when I took out the HDD because I don't need it, it can't boot, it
    can't find any boot device. If I select SSD in boot order same thing happens so theres something missing here (MBR ?).

Is there a way to fix this without re-installing windows.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

TheMidnightNarwhal, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Reinstalling Windows 10 to new SSD

last Week I Purchased a new SSD with the plan of Reinstalling Windows 10 to it when the free Upgrade came out.

however It doesn't work. I have already upgraded my current Windows 7 install to Windows 10 and activated it, on my standard HDD. when I booted the Win 10 install off a Flash drive, I plugged in the Windows 7 product key, it didn't work. after cancelling
    it and doing some reading, apparently I cannot reinstall Windows 10 to the SSD without First Installing Windows 7 again, or cloning the HDD to the SSD.

I cannot clone my HDD, its a 750GB HDD thats practically full, and my SSD is only 250GB. how am I supposed to do this? its getting very frustrating because I have already had several issues getting Windows 10 installed in the first place, and I can't reinstall
    Windows 7 because I don't have the install disks any more.

Armouredfalcon, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. It could be indexing files, or defragging use task manager see whats doing it

Samuria, Nov 22, 2017
  5. XCJ
    xcj Win User
    Thanks!

In my experience Indexing normally doesn't slow everything down, task manager says the processes are all windows related, i just dont't know why.
    I'll take a note of what processes are accessing , and post them here.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD - Similar Threads - reason reading HDD

2. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  3. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  4. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  5. Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?: Hey everyone! I just ordered my first custom PC (I'm not very handy, so I didn't want to take the risk of fucking it up when building it myself and the store I ordered from isn't too expensive when it comes to assembling the PC). When it arrives, I will have to install...
  6. Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks: I'm confused with all this partitions and i want to know how to delete all partitions if i have an ssd and hdd submitted by /u/thanos997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8wgs4/installation_of_windows_10_with_ssd_and_hdd_disks/
  7. why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD?: Okay I suddenly had a massive loss in performance but I am not exactly sure when it happened. What I do know is that when I do basic functions I have started hearing and seeing in Task Manager Performance large portions of activity on my secondary HDD. My setup is a little...
  8. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  9. Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD: I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should start. Recently I...
  10. Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD: I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have created an ISO file for a full install as I want to fully install Windows 10 by itself. My plan is, if the install works and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows reading ssd and hdd as same drive