Windows 10: Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

Discus and support Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For decades now I've been using USB ports on Windows computers to mount portable disk drives. While they are portable i.e., can be easily mounted on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SnookRed, Apr 14, 2021.

1. SnookRed Win User

Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

For decades now I've been using USB ports on Windows computers to mount portable disk drives. While they are portable i.e., can be easily mounted on other computers they tend to remain on a given computer somewhat permanently. There are lots of reasons why it is desirable to have a a given drive letter always assigned to this device. Because Windows has always seemed to prefer choosing the letter lowest in the alphabet that is presently unassigned when dynamically assigning drive letters I choose the letter highest in the alphabet that is available to be assigned to this kind of drive. This keeps these semi permanent USB drives separate from those which I frequently mount and dismount for other purposes.

This has always worked fine on Windows no matter what version until recently on Windows 10. Now when I change a drive letter, for example from D: to X:, on such a USB drive it only lasts until the system is shutdown or restarted. Something that, I think, may be contributing to this infuriating behavior might have begun when I attempted to to retire one of these devices and replace it with a new one. In that, is it possible that Windows knows that X: was assigned to a different drive than the one I now want to be X: and refuses to automatically assign X: to the new drive even though X: was removed using Disk Management from the old drive and assigned using Disk Management to the new drive?

A hack I thought of trying, but decided to seek opinions from someone who might know better first, is to remove the registry keys named as \Dos\Devices\? from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices which exist but are NOT associated with any permanently attached device. It also occurs to me that while registry keys do appear to be the cause of such a problem there are lots of others I'm unfamiliar with that could be causing the problem.

Might someone be able to explain what's going on and how to resolve?

:)

SnookRed, Apr 14, 2021

2. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

if you want to assign new letters to the new drives and keep you current drive letters assigned like they are now i suggest you take a screenshot of pc so you can manually reassign the various drive letters. i have the following saved in a folder on my backup drive called post os install. hope this helps.

Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot [​IMG]

fyi after fixing the drive letter assignments i hide the drive letters so everything lines up numerically and alphabetically

xXWhacerXx, Apr 14, 2021
  3. mrje1 Win User
    Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Thank you for your help and assistance xXWhacerXx! If you can clarify this first, because I believe I saw a warning on this that by changing the drive letter can ruin other things that are mapped to it. I would like to not change the drive letters once they are assigned, but if you are not having any problems I guess that could be something that I saw wrong.

Also, do you think that having the drive letters as explained before and plugging in the other ones that had the same drive letter will overwrite the new ones or change them automatically?

mrje1, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

WD external drive letter change

Hi @WilliamSlessor!

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion with the external drive. What I would suggest is to go in Disk Management and try to reassign the letters on both drives with a third one, and then go back to the original letters. For instance - change the G:G: drive to
    M:, and then reassign it as G: again.

You can follow the steps described in this KB article:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=T1tsut

Hope this helps and let us know how it went.

MightyMiro_WD, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

1. Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot - Similar Threads - reassigns drive letter

2. \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.: Need help. I used to use two different HDD in Raid 0. I removed both drives and switch to one large HDD for my storage drive. Now, every time I reboot, the D drive loses it letter and disappears. I have to open Disk Management and reassign the drive letter. This drive is...
  3. SD drive letter changes at reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD drive letter changes at reboot: I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a...
  4. SD drive letter changes at reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD drive letter changes at reboot: I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a...
  5. Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.: I have an external card reader and a few USB drives, and they are all stuck assigned to the same drive letters that Windows automatically assigned them when first used. I have unplugged them all at one point or another without ejecting them from Windows, and though they all...
  6. uninstall and reassign windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    uninstall and reassign windows 10: Hello, My son built a PC. I have a MAC. I bought him Windows 10 but I misunderstood the steps we needed to follow to get it on his computer. I entered the product code on my MAC and tied it to my Microsoft account. Is there a way to uninstall it from my MAC and reassign the...
  7. Reassigning keys on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Reassigning keys on Windows 10: As some might have noticed, the semi-colon ";" and apostrophe " ' " are the wrong way around on the QWERTY keyboard. This is because in English we use the apostrophe in just about every sentence but we rarely use the semi-colon, and yet the semi-colon is closer to the centre...
  8. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned: I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will...
  9. Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters

Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters: Got a problem using shared data disks with windows 10. Win10 insists on reassigning drive letters for my hard drives, I started off with : a 1 Tb drive as C: a 2Tb drive split into 2 volumes drives D: and E:, a further 1Tb drive as drive F:, a DVD drive as drive G:...
  10. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?: Hey Everyone, Good day to all of you! I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe...