Windows 10: Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

Discus and support Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, for some time I had dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed. Recently I changed my motherboard, and it all seemed fine for some time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KingaAss, Jul 9, 2019.

1. KingaAss Win User

Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

So, for some time I had dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed.
    Recently I changed my motherboard, and it all seemed fine for some time.
    Windows 10 worked just fine.

Then one day, I decided to go back to Windows 7 to do some stuff I couldn't on the new OS.
    It was stuck in a boot loop.

The fix for that was to switch from AHCI to IDE SATA option in UEFI Bios (ASUS).

It did fix Windows 7, and it worked flawlessly. Up until the point... where my Windows 10 couldn't boot up at all.

So what happens now, is windows 10 is stuck in a recovery menu, creating that error log file.

What seems to be strange is the way boot behaves.
    My C: drive is set to Windows 10. Yet when I list all the partitions it shows Windows 10 as letter D:.

And even more interesting, that error log goes to letter I:

When checking that partition it shows it as hidden.

Tried the method with registry... where you would backup and replace the config files.

Really in need of help.

Also when switching back from IDE to AHCI, nothing happens. Basically says that none drives have Windows installed.

List of drives shown from Windows 7:

Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE! [​IMG]

List of drives shown from Windows 10 (When it was still working):

Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE! [​IMG]

:)

KingaAss, Jul 9, 2019
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Jul 9, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    IDE vs AHCI

Hot-switching IDE to AHCI (with OS installed) enables NCQ on HDDs that support it. So I'm sure TRIM gets enabled. When you switch from IDE to AHCI, Windows redetects the hard-drive (or in this case, the SSD) and controller it's installed on (despite booting from the same drive).

btarunr, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

Unable to switch motherboard from IDE to AHCI on Windows 10

I think you might have to reformat the drive after doing that. You might have to make a full disk image using Windows 7 backup (in Windows 10) then switch to AHCI and then reimage the disk from your backup. You should be able to restore the image after booting
    from Windows 10 install media. Normally the imaging and restore are quite fast, if you have some way to connect large enough storage for the backup image.

However, here is an article with steps that may work, if you follow the Windows 8 steps mentioned.

http://winaero.com/blog/switch-from-ide-to-achi-after-installing-windows-7-or-windows-8/

EDIT: After checking this article, restoring an image with the wrong registry settings for AHCI might be useless. So try the article method first. It sounds like Windows is setup to work one way or the other, so you have to use Safe mode and edit registry
    to fix things to handle the change.

Don Cuthbert, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

1. Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE! - Similar Threads - Recovery Boot Loop

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  6. switching from ide to ahci works, but what is {current} in these instr

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    switching from ide to ahci works, but what is {current} in these instr: Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI - Knowledgebase / Microsoft Windows - Critical Technology Solutions - Helpdesk Code: Click the Start Button and type cmd Right-click the result and select Run as administrator Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current}...
  7. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation: I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another operating system in a multi-boot environment. I do not wish to install Windows 10 again. I am able to change the motherboard...
  8. AHCI and IDE

AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop: I have a MySN XMG U716 (Clevo P775DM1) that I got with two 256Gb Samung 951 NVMe PCIe SSD's, initially in RAID 1. I later decided to break this RAID array because I wanted the extra 256Gb for games etc, and I broke the array by setting them to Non-Raid but leaving RAID mode...