Windows 10: Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem

Discus and support Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The recovery drive wasn't created properly; it says it needs at least a 16Gb USB drive, yet only 4.12Gb of space was utilized on a 32GB USB drive, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dances with Weasalopes, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem

The recovery drive wasn't created properly; it says it needs at least a 16Gb USB drive, yet only 4.12Gb of space was utilized on a 32GB USB drive, and the Recovery folder is empty; the largest file appears to be Reconstruct.WIM in the Sources folder (3,886,155 Kb); I went through the recovery drive creation process using 2 PCs, same results.

When I attempt to use it, it doesn't fully load; not all the files needed to do so are found, so it kicks back out and reboots the PC. Over and over and over again... It never gets as far as attempting to load a version of Windows, it's earlier in the process that it lacks required files. At least, it never shifts from a text display to a blue background and Windows logo and swirly thing indicating stuff is happening.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Preview Version 1903 Build 18912.1001 on all my PCs.

I did select copy all system files during the drive creation process.

There are fewer files than on an old recovery drive I made when an 8Gb USB drive was still large enough for a Windows 10 Recovery Drive...

So, any ideas about what is going on?

:)

Dances with Weasalopes, Jun 8, 2019

2. Windows 10 Recovery Drive Creation Problems

I have the same problem and tried both a 32G SanDisc flash drive and Toshiba Canvio II external hard drive, using different ports (2.0 and 3.0). The only way anything happens is to leave the box for including system files unchecked. But what's the point
    of a recovery drive without system files?! The next step will be to download the media creation tool and try to create this USB as if it's intended for use on another computer. This method was suggested in one of the consumer forums. How disheartening that
    the first operation a user will perform with a new computer has a massive bug. Who does QC for Microsoft these days?

LindaHeadley, Jun 8, 2019
  3. FrankXX24 Win User
    Windows 10 Recovery Drive Creation Problems

I have two identical HP laptops now running Windows 10 which were recently upgraded from Windows 7 home premium. On one, the creation of the recovery drive with a 32 GB USB flash drive was completed without problems. On the other using another 32 GB USB
    flash drive, I get an error message stating "we can't create a recovery drive", but with no other explanation or reason. Different attempts from the control panel or simply double clicking on the recoverydrive.exe file provides the same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a corrective action?

Thank you!

FrankXX24, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem

Windows 10 Recovery Drive Creation Problems

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• Did you use the same USB on 2 computers?
    • Are the 2 USB of same brand?
    If they are different USB's and the one which says "we can't create a recovery drive" try to format the USB with NTFS format and check.

We would also suggest you to use a different USB drive and check.

Ravinath P, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem

1. Windows 10 Recovery Drive creation problem - Similar Threads - Recovery Drive creation

2. Windows recovery drive creation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery drive creation: I have an HP laptop that has windows 10 installed at the factory on it. It is corrupted and will not start. The recovery partition is corrupted on this computer. I have another computer running windows 7 but it won’t run the software that allows me to create a windows 10...
  3. Windows recovery drive creation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery drive creation: I have an HP laptop that has windows 10 installed at the factory on it. It is corrupted and will not start. The recovery partition is corrupted on this computer. I have another computer running windows 7 but it won’t run the software that allows me to create a windows 10...
  4. Windows recovery drive creation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  6. Recovery Drive creation. Windows 10 update

Recovery Drive creation. Windows 10 update: I noticed that after a created a recovery drive from my Windows 10 Laptop, the install.wim file located in the C:\Wndows\System32\Recovery\Sources was missing. Now I can't create another recovery drive from the same Laptop. It returns an error " We can't create a recovery...
  7. Recovery Drive Creation and Windows 10 2H20 update

Recovery Drive Creation and Windows 10 2H20 update: I noticed that after a created a recovery drive from my Windows 10 Laptop, the install.wim file located in the C:\Wndows\System32\Recovery\Sources was missing. Now I can't create another recovery drive from the same Laptop. It returns an error " We can't create a recovery...
  8. Recovery Drive Creation and Windows 10 2H20 update

Recovery Drive Creation and Windows 10 2H20 update: I noticed that after a created a recovery drive from my Windows 10 Laptop, the install.wim file located in the C:\Wndows\System32\Recovery\Sources was missing. Now I can't create another recovery drive from the same Laptop. It returns an error " We can't create a recovery...
  9. Win 10 Recovery drive Creation failed

Win 10 Recovery drive Creation failed: Hello People, I am trying to create recovery drive by using 64 GB usb drive. I am facing issue of failure to create drive. I spend almost 3 days and tried all different options using CMD. reagentc and etc... I need help to create my drive. Second thing whenever tried my...
  10. Recovery Drive failure upon creation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive failure upon creation: This morning I formatted a new 16GB Verbatim usb drive. Proceeded to make recovery drive. About 90% finished and it stops with the message problem occurred creating recovery drive. Nothing else so don't know what happened. About the 90% mark a msg came up that Dell had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problem occur creation of recovery windows10

2. can i create a recovery drive on windows 19 version 1903