Windows 10: Windows 10 Recurring Crashes

Discus and support Windows 10 Recurring Crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm hoping someone can help me with a recurring Windows 10 crash. First of all, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Soon after, I began to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by twhedbee, Nov 1, 2015.

1. twhedbee Win User

Windows 10 Recurring Crashes

I'm hoping someone can help me with a recurring Windows 10 crash.

First of all, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Soon after, I began to experience crashes at apparently random times. in this case, "crash" always means display goes dark, monitor powers down, computer stays on, and everything is totally locked. The only way to recover is by powering down computer and re-starting. I soon suspected nVidia driver as other reported similar problems. I have updated to the latest nVidia driver (for my GTX 660) but have tried
    various older ones as well. I have tried to update other drivers as well. When installing new nVidia drivers, I have followed nVidia's suggestion and first used the Display Driver Uninstall utility and then done a clean install of the new driver.

When I uninstall nVidia driver and run on simple Microsoft display driver, the problem vanishes (but I really can't run anything that requires a faster display). The program "Who Crashed" shows no mini dumps after these crashes. The Reliability Monitor shows nothing but "Windows stopped unexpectedly."

From Event Manager, the critical error message only reports "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Before the crash, the same log reports MANY warning messages saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have attached all logs from DM Log Collector. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Whedbee

Dell XPS720 with Core 2 Quad Q9450 8GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660
    SoundBlaster 5 RX

:)

twhedbee, Nov 1, 2015
  2. auggy Win User

Windows 10 BSOD: KMODE Exception Not Handled

There was not a particular driver implicated in the crash.

However the AvastSvc.exe was the process that crashed which may indicate the issue is with an Avast driver if the BSOD is recurring and the AvastSvc.exe is the process that is consistently crashing.

auggy, Nov 1, 2015
  3. Windows 10 update just crashed my PC (Oct 28th update)

you sent an update on the 28th and it shut down my PC and the Windows 10 operating system completely disappeared. since the Windows 10 was already loaded on the PC, i have no systems discs from which to try and restore. what do it do?

why do your updates crash my machine and what do i do now and in the future, since this seems to be a recurring problem?

evermillion, Nov 1, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the 10forums.

As this is not a BSOD problem, this is not the right part of the forum.
    There are a few suggestions I would give you, NO garantee it will help!

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

• Uninstall Daemon Tools
    • Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Windows 10 Recurring Crashes [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Windows 10 Recurring Crashes [​IMG]
    Warning Programs that claim to update your drivers install either the wrong or corrupted drivers.
    If you have installed any driver with AVG Driver Updater, please remove them as it may cause trouble.

axe0, Nov 1, 2015
  5. twhedbee Win User
    Thanks, axe0. I actually didn't have Daemon Tools installed anymore. Ran the SPTD Installer and the 'uninstall' was greyed out.

If this is not the right forum, can you point me to an appropriate one?

Tom

twhedbee, Nov 2, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Recurring Crashes - Similar Threads - Recurring Crashes

2. My PC has crashed ie a previous Windows 11 problem has recurred and the Automatic repair...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC has crashed ie a previous Windows 11 problem has recurred and the Automatic repair...: Can anyone advise as the seller helped by reinstalling Windows 11 when it was under warranty and has advised go to local tech - they have quoted £350 to retrieve folders and repair!!...
  3. My PC has crashed ie a previous Windows 11 problem has recurred and the Automatic repair...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC has crashed ie a previous Windows 11 problem has recurred and the Automatic repair...: Can anyone advise as the seller helped by reinstalling Windows 11 when it was under warranty and has advised go to local tech - they have quoted £350 to retrieve folders and repair!!...
  4. Recurring app crashes across many of my Windows installs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recurring app crashes across many of my Windows installs: I've had an issue with my PC for a while. It started on Win11 where games and stuff would crash, kind of as if I didn't have enough RAM to run them. Now, 6 Win reinstalls later on Win10, the issue persists. When i reinstall, my PC works just fine. Some time after I reinstall...
  5. Recurring app crashes across many of my Windows installs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recurring app crashes across many of my Windows installs: I've had an issue with my PC for a while. It started on Win11 where games and stuff would crash, kind of as if I didn't have enough RAM to run them. Now, 6 Win reinstalls later on Win10, the issue persists. When i reinstall, my PC works just fine. Some time after I reinstall...
  6. Recurring app crashes across many of my Windows installs

7. I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on crashes upon save and .xlk...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on crashes upon save and .xlk...: I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on occasionally crashes upon save and offers to try to repair it. When I go to the backup .xlk file to restore, it is gone! The crashing Excel file deletes this file too! I have never seen such a thing in all my...
  8. I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on crashes upon save and .xlk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on crashes upon save and .xlk...: I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on occasionally crashes upon save and offers to try to repair it. When I go to the backup .xlk file to restore, it is gone! The crashing Excel file deletes this file too! I have never seen such a thing in all my...
  9. I have a recurring situation where an Excel file I am working on crashes upon save and .xlk...

10. Searchindexer.exe appears to be related to PC recurring crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Searchindexer.exe appears to be related to PC recurring crashes: After running windows 10, the PC has been constantly crashing. The application error indicates the following: Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.19041.2193, time stamp: 0xdef5becfFaulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2193, time...