Windows 10: Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.

Discus and support Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have my computer to defrag along a weekly shtick schedule but no matter what, it seems to refuse to execute the defrag since "To defrag the system,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SotoPrior, May 3, 2019.

1. SotoPrior Win User

Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.

I have my computer to defrag along a weekly shtick schedule but no matter what, it seems to refuse to execute the defrag since "To defrag the system, log onto an Administrator account," followed by an Access denied prompt, (This in spite of the fact that the side of the user Account I log into is indeed the user account, at least in terms of what the Users list shows.) This is the second computer to do this to me, (first it was my laptop with a single user account, now it's my main tower,) and it's important that I fix this for my main tower since I'm not around much to do it manually, (especially since this thing is holding a 2 TB and 8 TB drives respectively for important office work.) Anyone know what's causing this? I set the computer to schedule a defragging session weekly, so I don't understand why it is refusing to execute as instructed even when logged into the Admin Account, so any information about what to change or do will help, thanks.

:)

SotoPrior, May 3, 2019
  2. kthr33 Win User

Defrag Schedule

In Windows 10, my system is set to defrag weekly. Is it possible to see when during the week it is set to defrag? Some of my people prefer to shut their systems down over night and if the defrag schedule is known, they would know to leave their systems
    on that night. All suggestions, ideas, comments any wish to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

kthr33, May 3, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue

Check that your Task scheduler defrag task does not have the idle condition set -
    • Task scheduler library, Microsoft, Windows , Defrag
    • While you are there, check that its Action tab correctly refers to the drive you are investigating. If you have been doing any repartitioning work the task definition might not have changed automatically.

The idle condition used to be set by default in Windows 7 but I thought it had been changed in Windows 10.
    If the idle condition is set then it is perfectly possible that optimisation never runs.
    If, like me, you turn off / sleep your computer when you are not using it then it will never be idle.

If automatic optimisation [defrag, trim] really is not running despite the correct settings having been made then there is nothing stopping you from creating your own defrag task.
    • You can crib the settings from the default task definition then just tailor them to your own requirements.

Denis

Try3, May 3, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.

Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, May 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.

1. Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side. - Similar Threads - Refuses Scheduled Defrag

2. No admin rights despite admin account on Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No admin rights despite admin account on Windows 10?: I was trying to install a client when I got an error message saying that I do not have the required permissions in the D: drive and I need to do this in my user folder instead. I found no other solution than to allow full access to the drive in the "Administrator" account, my...
  3. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't: Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try...
  4. Defrag and them Optimized "not logged in as Admin"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag and them Optimized "not logged in as Admin": I did annalize, defragmentation and optimize on C: and D: drives. Then the message "you have to be logged in as an Administrator" so the process was not complete. I am the Administrator as far as I know. Can you please help with this?...
  5. Windows Disk Defrag not running as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Defrag not running as scheduled.: Have a HP laptop running Win 10 Home. Has a SSD drive. Have Disk Defrag scheduled to run weekly. It has yet to run a scheduled defrag/optimization. No error messages, and if I run it manually, it runs as expected. Computer is left plugged in and powered up almost all the...
  6. Defragment and Optimize Drives & Task scheduler not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment and Optimize Drives & Task scheduler not working.: I want to defrag my drives but I get an error every time I start up the defragment service. The error I am getting is "Storage optimization cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running. Start the task scheduler service and try again.". And when I start the...
  7. Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Refuses to do the Scheduled Defrag Despite on Admin Side.: I have my computer to defrag along a weekly shtick schedule but no matter what, it seems to refuse to execute the defrag since "To defrag the system, log onto an Administrator account," followed by an Access denied prompt, (This in spite of the fact that the side of the user...
  8. Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query: Hi all, As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being my first experience of using an SSD, I did a lot of reading up on it, mainly about maintenance, such as defragmentation etc,...
  9. Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue

Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue: So i have had this to TRIM my SSD weekly it as such it is scheduled as such [img] Problem being it has NEVER did this weekly daily automatically I will randomly check this and it will say 20 ~40 days since last trim cause that how long it is before i actual check......
  10. Windows 10 Task Scheduler not finding Admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Task Scheduler not finding Admin: I've got 2 users on one machine. One "Standard" user and one "Administrator". They both log in fine. The Admin user has a password assigned, the Standard user does not. I am trying to run a program that requires elevated access on logon of the Standard user. So while logged...