Windows 10: Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Basically I had windows 10 installed on NVMe Samsung 960 SSD for awhile. Along with it there were 2 more partitions configured: 1 dynamic partition (2x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marka01, Jul 23, 2017.

1. marka01 Win User

Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD

Basically I had windows 10 installed on NVMe Samsung 960 SSD for awhile. Along with it there were 2 more partitions configured: 1 dynamic partition (2x 2TB HDD), 1 static (1x 1TB HDD).

Now due to some issues decided to re-install Windows 10 completely. Booted to Windows 10 install from USB flash drive and formatted SSD drive's all 4 partitions(including recovery partition,etc..). I can still see other HDD's and partitions (the dynamic and static). But when I choose to install Windows 10 on SSD which I deleted it comes up with an error something like: 'windows 10 cannot be installed please check installation logs'.

What can be the issue does anyone know? Did SSD held some sort of dynamic disk information that I have deleted?

:)

marka01, Jul 23, 2017

2. install windows 10 in 2 ssds in the one same PC

The problem is I am afraid when I install windows 10 on 2nd ssd and it will not be activated.

Licence is for machine and not for the disk.

Microsoft may have fear of abuse by user but not to the extend of refusing to allow us to install in 2 hdd or ssd

Joseph

JosephChia, Jul 23, 2017
  3. I can not install windows 7 with windows 10

Hello,

I did installed windows 10 (downloaded DVD) over my new SSD. Then I tried to install windows as a dual boot as before changing the HD. The system refused because of the different of bios. Is their any solution?

Abdelmonem Kamel, Jul 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi please post a screenshot of your partitions if you continue to have problems. (You can use Kyhi's boot disk available from the top of the Software and Apps section here to do that).

Your SSD appears to be 250Gb; of course the other partitions are on separate disks. Make sure there are no Windows-related partitions on those disks (Recovery, EFI etc).

Try removing, disconnecting or disabling the other disks, then installing, taking care to delete any partitions remaining on your SSD.
    If in doubt, delete any partitions first (you can use Kyhi's boot disk for that).

There's a clue too in the message- check the logs. (I'm afraid my crystal ball's down for scheduled maintenance.. *Biggrin )

What went wrong? See:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- & see the yellow Tips section

A list of some log files:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    The panther logs are often hidden. Configure file explorer so that you can find the hidden files.
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log

dalchina, Jul 23, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You stated, "formatted SSD drive's all 4 partitions(including recovery partition,etc..). " How did you do that? If you want to do a clean install on an erased SSD you don't format the old partitions, you delete them. Then pick the unallocated space and click next to let Windows set up the drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2017
  6. marka01 Win User
    My bad. I did mean I deleted all of the partitions, not formated. Not sure what was the issue but I used Kyhi's bootCD as Dalhina suggested and then EOMEI partition editor and reformated the partition(as it was already deleted). Then back to win10 install and was able to proceed with windows installation after clicking next.
    I am attaching image file for you to see the error I was getting before. As you can see all SSD partitions were deleted. I did try to reformat and delete multiple times SSD disk but after clicking Next I got this :

Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD [​IMG]

marka01, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD - Similar Threads - refuses install SSD

2. Windows 10 installation in SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installation in SSD: Hello guys,I have 120GB SSD install in my pc with 1Tb hard disk in Caddy. I'm trying to install windows 10 in my ssd but i got error we couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one.I tried with disk part clean command for ssd drive but still got same error. Please...
  3. Windows 10 Install SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Install SSD: Windows 10 install Using a 32gb 3.0 usb format default with Microsoft creation tool windows downloaded onto it. Trying to download onto a nvme m.2 980 500gb ssd.Pc recognises drive, setup starts, installs onto unallocated drive. The drive then won't boot up to the next part...
  4. Windows 10 Install SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install SSD: Windows 10 install Using a 32gb 3.0 usb format default with Microsoft creation tool windows downloaded onto it. Trying to download onto a nvme m.2 980 500gb ssd.Pc recognises drive, setup starts, installs onto unallocated drive. The drive then won't boot up to the next part...
  5. Windows 10 refuses to install on my computer

Windows 10 refuses to install on my computer: When I paid over $150 for the Windows 10 upgrade, it gave me a link to an ISO but no way to burn it on a disk as the install software was not available. I've tried using a WinRAR but it keeps failing. I tried running the setup.exe file from my C drive and I got this error...
  6. Minecraft Windows 10 Refuses to Install

Minecraft Windows 10 Refuses to Install: I recently redeemed a code for Minecraft, the windows 10 version. Upon attempting to install Minecraft to my PC I am greeted with the following message: "Installing on your devices: To download to your Xbox, it must be on or set to Instant-on, with automatic updates and...
  7. Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10

Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10: My Google Chrome was working fine yesterday, but I haven't been able to get it to load any webpages today. Meanwhile, my internet explorer has been working fine. I am not using a proxy server, so that box was already unchecked. I didn't want to make too many changes on the...
  8. Windows 10 refusing to work with AHCI mode Enabled on Samsung SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 refusing to work with AHCI mode Enabled on Samsung SSD: So I have windows 7 working with AHCI support, Samsung telling me T.R.I.M is enabled. I use that as my control. I want to dual boot. SSD is set, so I install windows 10 on a separate HDD and the only way to do that is to put the bios on IDE mode because im installing windows...
  9. Windows 10 refuses Intel NVMe SSD driver.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 refuses Intel NVMe SSD driver.: Just installed an Intel NVMe SSD 400gig on my Asus Z97-deluxe with latest bios. All went OK but just one problem. Windows 10 insists on using thethe Microsoft driver. I have downloaded the latest Intel driver and installer for the drive but winows insists the Microsoft driver...
  10. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD: Hi all, I sure hope someone can help with this. I've been building & installing computers for years and I'm totally stumped. I have a friend's Sony Vaio PCG-31311W laptop and have offered to install an SSD for him as his current HDD is failing. I managed to move his...