Windows 10: Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM

Discus and support Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 16 GB installed, Windows sees all of them, but when I have 4 GB left it refuses to use any more. Instead Chrome gets "no memory" errors and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thecokeguy, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM

I have 16 GB installed, Windows sees all of them, but when I have 4 GB left it refuses to use any more. Instead Chrome gets "no memory" errors and Windows crashes apps. It's consistently 4 GB it never uses, they're listed as "available" in Task Manager, about 50/50 free and standby.

Any ideas why this is?

:)

thecokeguy, Aug 22, 2017

2. Why can't I use all of my RAM memory on my Windows 10 Pro? It has an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard that supports 16GB RAM dual channel.

Also, press Windows key + R

Type: msconfig

Hit Enter

Go to the Boot tab > Advanced options > make sure Maximum memory is unchecked

Click OK then click Apply then OK

Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Why can't I use all of my RAM memory on my Windows 10 Pro? It has an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard that supports 16GB RAM dual channel.

Doesn't work, keeps defaulting back to these trying both Max settings
    Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM [​IMG]

Grizzlybear1953, Aug 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM

dalchina, Aug 22, 2017
  5. My memory is all usable as windows sees it, so no different "usable" size.

Yes, I've disabled the page file as I have more than enough memory and an SSD - consequently the modified memory has grown a bit as it's usually flushed to the disk.

I think i've found out it may be because Windows doesn't release standby memory, when it's suppose to. If I force release it in RamMap it's perfectly OK with me, using the rest of the memory, but it will refuse an allocation if the available memory is in standby. Any ideas why this is?

thecokeguy, Aug 22, 2017
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Your problem has nothing to do with standby memory. In fact it has nothing to do with RAM usage at all. The problem is that the commit charge is approaching the commmit limit. That is what the error message means. Post a screenshot of Tas Manager Performance tab showing memory info. This will provide an overview of the memory situation.

LMiller7, Aug 23, 2017
  7. I've made a screenshot from the performance tab of the task manager, including one with a program made to exhaust memory - which crashed due to no more memory when it should still have ~4GB.

thecokeguy, Aug 23, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

As I mentioned before the problem is caused by the commit charge approaching the commit limit. It has NOTHING to do with RAM usage. Windows doesn't even have an error for low available RAM.

It would appear that the lack of a pagefile is causing the problem. I would recommend a pagefile of at least 8 GB, preferably 16 GB, even better would be to set it as system managed. The pagefile does not work like you think it does.

LMiller7, Aug 23, 2017
  9. That's exactly why I'm asking - if I knew how and why, I wouldn't need any help.

So what you're saying is, it's impossible for me to use all of my RAM without a pagefile?

thecokeguy, Aug 23, 2017
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    You are misinterpreting the graph. Task Manager shows 4.6 GB RAM available but the larger part of this is on the standby list. This is very much misunderstood. It acts as a kind of cache and is a major contributor to good performance. But while it is doing that it is also considered as available memory for immediate use by any application that needs it. It is better than free memory. Free memory is like keeping cash in a jar at home. It does nobody any good until it is used. Standby memory is like money in a high interest savings account that can be immediately withdrawn at any time without penalty. In this case the interest is performance. Remember this is only an analogy to illustrate how things work. Don't take the analogy too far.

Windows memory manager tries very hard to maintain a reasonable balance between in use memory and the standby list in an attempt to maximize performance. This is VERY complex. You don't ever want the graph to show 100% usage. That would mean there is nothing on the standby list and that would be death to performance.

Only the section of the graph to the far right is that evil free memory. In this case it appears to be less than 2 GB. Windows tries very hard to keep this small, zero being the optimum value. But under real world conditions this often isn't possible. On my 8 GB system this is often zero but with more memory that becomes more difficult to achieve.

The commit limit is for practical purposes RAM size plus pagefile size. With no pagefile it will be somewhat less than RAM size. Windows will never allow the commit charge to exceed this limit. When the limit would be exceeded by a memory allocation you will get the out of memory error. This effectively limits your workload. This limit can occur even when there is plenty of available or even free memory. This does not mean that Windows is in some way holding memory back. That isn't the problem.

Bottom line is you need a pagefile.

LMiller7, Aug 23, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Only an analogy but absolutely the best I've ever heard to explain this. Excellent, went straight to my OneNote notebook "Quotes to remember"!

12. Berton Win User
    Ditto!!!!

Berton, Aug 23, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Great explanation!

Please post a screenshot like this so we can see your page file settings. Thanks.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2017
  14. Then it works exactly as I suspected, I just had no idea Windows had a bare minimum it needed to cache.

thecokeguy, Aug 24, 2017
  15. I already stated in #3, it's disabled. (no paging file)

thecokeguy, Aug 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 refuses to use all of my RAM - Similar Threads - refuses RAM

2. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  3. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  4. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.: I have a Windows 22H2 10 Pro PC latest update and after an update, the Bluetooth dongle stopped to remain connected.This happens with all BT devices that I try to connect.If I select BT-On from the tray, I see instantly, for half a second, my BT device to connect and...
  5. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.: I have a Windows 22H2 10 Pro PC latest update and after an update, the Bluetooth dongle stopped to remain connected.This happens with all BT devices that I try to connect.If I select BT-On from the tray, I see instantly, for half a second, my BT device to connect and...
  6. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows refusing to use graphics card error 43

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows refusing to use graphics card error 43: Here is my PC's components and it's information:CPU: IntelR CoreTM i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHzRAM: Type: DDR3 / Size:8GBGPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730Disk drive: Model: TEAM T253512GB / Size: 512GBI reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC about 2 weeks ago, and updates have been running...
  8. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  9. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  10. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 refuses to use all ram

2. windows 10 1803 usable ram solved