Windows 10: Windows 10 Registry Editor - regedit.exe

Discus and support Windows 10 Registry Editor - regedit.exe in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have just recently upgraded to Win10 Home. After the upgrade, I did a clean install. Runs well. My issue is that regedit.exe freezes during any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zaqxsw, Nov 23, 2015.

1. zaqxsw Win User

Windows 10 Registry Editor - regedit.exe

I have just recently upgraded to Win10 Home. After the upgrade, I did a clean install. Runs well.

My issue is that regedit.exe freezes during any search. It will search and find the first few instances of an item, then it just stays in the "search" window forever. When I hit "cancel", it says that regedit.exe has stopped working, then it restarts regedit.exe.

Thanks for any replies!

:)

zaqxsw, Nov 23, 2015

2. Fast User Switching in Windows 10

Thank you for the instructions utilizing the Group Policy Editor method. However, I am used to using the Registry editor (regedit.exe) to make the change.

Can you tell me where the location in the Windows Registry is of this change in Windows 10?

Thanks,

Chris Romero, Nov 23, 2015
  3. c9801120 Win User
    Windows 10 Registry Editor has stopped working

When during a search inside regedit.exe appears the error "Registry Editor crashed":

The regedit crashed and gives error when there are keys that are too big ... keys with more than 255 characters.

(from Registry Editor crashing - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums)

But earlier versions of Regedit.exe worked right.

The version of regedit that does not work is the 10586 and which was installed after the updates and which is in c:\windows

The previous version (RTM version 10240) windows kept in the C:\Windows.old\Windows and works flawlessly.

Solution: replace the new file that is located in c:\windows\regedit.exe with the old one that is in C:\Windows.old\Windows

c9801120, Nov 23, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

A few others have reported issues with regedit searches in this forum- worth reading that thread. I don't think it was resolved for them when I read it.
    Registry issue with new 10586 build. - Windows 10 Forums

I recall one person used regedit from a prior build. Mine's fine on latest build.

There are free registry editors around other than MS's and have the equivalent of an 'address bar' which I really like.
    E.g. O&O Redgedit (freeware); Regmagik RegmagiK Software | The Joy of Personal Computing

dalchina, Nov 23, 2015
  5. zaqxsw Win User
    Thanks dalchina for the reply and link. I posted on that thread so I would get any further updates.

Appreciate your time!

zaqxsw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Registry Editor - regedit.exe - Similar Threads - Registry Editor regedit

2. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?: I want to reinstall Windows. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my computer. All games and some programs are installed on the HDD. Windows is on the SSD.So, when I reinstall Windows, I'll disconnect the HDD so as not to confuse the disks. Then the Windows installation process will...
  3. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?: I want to reinstall Windows. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my computer. All games and some programs are installed on the HDD. Windows is on the SSD.So, when I reinstall Windows, I'll disconnect the HDD so as not to confuse the disks. Then the Windows installation process will...
  4. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Registry Editor: Hello Sir,I just accidently deleted a file named 'Policies' in my Windows Registry Editor'Policies' file is located under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ExplorerPlzzz help...
  6. Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open: I recently changed the wrong value in the registry editor by accident, and now exe files wont open. I can't go back in to registry editor because it is an exe file. I have tried many things, like changing cmd.exe to cmd.com and opening command prompt, but nothing I do inside...
  7. Windows 10 Registry Editor

Windows 10 Registry Editor: I have a problem, in Registry Editor I have modified target for exe files "%1"%* now I cannot open any exe file, i cannot run cmd nor registry editor what should I do to fix this?...
  8. Windows 10 Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Registry Editor: I have created registry to personalise fonts style Given below but when i applied its says "You can only import binary registry files from within the resistry editor". what is the issue? [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI...
  9. exe files and regedit

exe files and regedit: I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and that didn't work. Now, I...
  10. Registry settings in Regedit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry settings in Regedit: I am unable to get copyprofile to work on the Creator's version of Windows 10. I have been using registry settings to get it the way I want it. This is probably a silly request but I want to find it. Typically in my custom default profile, I open regedit to a full window...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. for windows 10 to work probably in restrictrun registry