Windows 10: Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop

Discus and support Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am needing to replace the hard drive on my laptop. I've read the article about the reinstall process but wanted to ask if I need have old hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Walter BPowell Jr., Nov 21, 2019.

1. Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop

I am needing to replace the hard drive on my laptop. I've read the article about the reinstall process but wanted to ask if I need have old hard drive in place first, then create the boot disk (usb thumb drive) next, and then swap out the old hard drive for the new one, or can I just go straight to new hard drive and then follow the way to create the boot tool? The laptop in question is one that was under the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a prior version and I am pretty sure I have a MS account.

:)

Walter BPowell Jr., Nov 21, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

HDD replacement/Windows 10 reinstall

I have an Asus computer with the free Windows 10 upgrade. The HDD is on it's way out and I want to replace it with a hybrid hdd. How do I reinstall the operating system and can I still use the free Windows 10 upgrade on this machine?

Guest1, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop

Instead of reinstalling Windows, I'd clone the existing hard drive to the replacement, then drop the replacement in in the old HDD's place. Windows should look exactly as it did before replacement.

Guest2, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

Guest3, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop - Similar Threads - reinstall replacing HDD

2. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  3. Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD: I have just replaced the HDD which had my windows 10 OS on it, this was an upgrade from win 7. I reinstalled win 7 then tried to upgrade to win 10 again. When I input the code from my Win 7 disc, as I did when I first upgraded, I get the error message saying that the code...
  4. Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10: I am a home user having HP Pavilion laptop - Windows 10, 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM I intend replacing internal 1 TB HDD with 240 GB SSD Internal SSD will have only Windows 10, MS Office and other basic software HDD will be converted to external disk for storage. I have Windows 10...
  5. laptop feels slower after hdd replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop feels slower after hdd replacement: the ssd I was using failed and had corrupt windows files so I got a hdd and replaced it. The hdd is SATA-III 6/Gbs 500 gb any reason why it would be a little slower?...
  6. Clean install for Windows 10 after HDD replacement

Clean install for Windows 10 after HDD replacement: I have installed new Seagate HDD same as the old one. I have used the Media Creation Tool to create installation media on a USB drive. I followed the HP instructions for installing the Window 10 software on the new HDD. When the Let's connect you to a network screen...
  7. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  8. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  9. windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced

windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced: Hello The HDD in my laptop has failed and I want to replace it. How do I get my current version of Win 10 up and running on it? make a windows start up disc ? - I have taken note of my win 10 key, once a new OS is installed can I just activate it with the same key...
  10. replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade

replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade: replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade and activation If I clean install W10 to the new SSD, will Windows activate automatically..... thanks 45559