Windows 10: Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error

Discus and support Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi folks, History: a) Had Windows 7 (bought the DVD in a box with a genuine product key years ago) - was running fine. b) Upgraded online to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Salsiccia, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Salsiccia Win User

Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error

Hi folks,

History:
    a) Had Windows 7 (bought the DVD in a box with a genuine product key years ago) - was running fine.
    b) Upgraded online to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period after W10 went general release.
    So it was a digital license linked to my Microsoft account.
    It ran fine until last week when I decided to move to new hardware.
    Reasonably significant hardware change:
    - Different motherboard
    - More RAM
    - Different Hard disks

Current State:
    Had some issues coming up with an upgrade scenario to reinstall W10 on the new hardware, but thanks to some very helpful folks over in the Upgrade Forum here, I got that solved quick smart. Ended up creating a USB key to install from (new mobo has UEFI BIOS which is new to me)

W10 now installed fine, but I get an error trying to activate it:
    "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later".
    When I installed W10 I selected the "I don't have a product key" option as I believe it should then activate later against my MS account, but that's the bit that's broken.
    (I did read somewhere that in my situation I could also provide my W7 product key at the prompt [which I still have] and that should work, but I haven't done that yet. Happy to reinstall and do that if that's what you guys think I should do, but would rather run this to ground first !)

As per the troubleshooting tips here, I have run the Activation troubleshooter. Contents attached to this message (I hope).

Any tips / suggestions much appreciated !!

Sal

:)

Salsiccia, Feb 19, 2019

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 19, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 19, 2019
  4. linhlz Win User

Windows 10 will not activate Error code 0x803F7001

Possibly there can be the problem with Microsoft activation Server, so your Windows 10 is not activated. In this scenario, you need to wait and verify if it is the issue from Microsoft’s side. But if you are getting error code 0x803f7001, you can also try these steps:

1. Open Settings app. Then go to Update and security > Activation screen > Change product.
    2. Type your Windows edition product key and click Next.
    3. You’ll get We couldn’t activate Windows error message.
    4. Retry steps 1-3 then type your 25-characters unique product key.
    5. Wait for the process to complete, Windows 10 is activated.
    Hope something helps this problem

linhlz, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error - Similar Threads - reinstall hardware activation

2. Windows 10 activation on new hardware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 activation on new hardware: I have a digital licence of Windows 10 Pro on my old laptop (that is practically unusable) which I linked to my MS account. However, when I try to reactivate it on my new laptop it says that it can't find any devices that my account is linked to and doesn't list the laptop...
  3. Windows 10 activation on new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation on new hardware: I have a digital licence of Windows 10 Pro on my old laptop that is practically unusable which I linked to my MS account. However, when I try to reactivate it on my new laptop it says that it can't find any devices that my account is linked to and doesn't list the laptop...
  4. Activating windows 10 on new hardware

Activating windows 10 on new hardware: I took advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 from Win 8.1 many years ago on my aging Core2 system. Recently my Core2 motherboard failed. The board will no longer post, so I got a new board, ram and cpu. I was hoping to use my current Win10 instillation in the new hardware,...
  5. WIndows 10 activation on new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 activation on new hardware: I've upgraded my hardware today and I've moved my SSD and HDD to the new PC to skip the reinstalation process. I've upgraded to windows 10 for free some 5 or 6 years ago while I had windows 8.1 installed. Now I have been prompted to activate my windows. I am aware that the...
  6. Windows 10 Activation Error - New Hardware

Windows 10 Activation Error - New Hardware: Hello I recently made a hardware change, upon reinstalling Windows 10 I tried activating through the digital license steps show in your guides. The previous Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 -> Windows 10 upgrade. My previous machine said "Windows is activated with a...
  7. Windows 10 activation on new hardware

Windows 10 activation on new hardware: Hi all I have purchased win10 long time ago and about a month ago my PC gave up so I had to build new one motherboard, CPU, etc I have installed win10 and later a realized that I have mesage that it is not activated. I have run the troubledhooter, no help. logged in to my...
  8. Activating Windows 10 on New Hardware

Activating Windows 10 on New Hardware: Hi All, I have an upgraded Windows 10 i.e. Windows 8 to Windows 10. I installed it on my PC 2 Years ago and I upgraded my CPU and Motherboard Recently. I still use the same SSD which I had my windows installation on. When I try to activate Windows It says I need to...
  9. Windows 10 Activation on new Hardware

Windows 10 Activation on new Hardware: I have a relatively old laptop that is running on Windows 10 and I recently bought a new PC. Since I have already Windows 10 installed in my old laptop,I migrated the drive that contains the OS from my old laptop into the new drive that I bought together with my new PC....
  10. Windows 10 Activation on New Hardware

Windows 10 Activation on New Hardware: As my Windows 10 key is linked to my MS account, will I encounter any issues trying to activate it - with the same key - on my new hardware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-on-new-hardware/704ca20c-ff59-48a8-824a-560b9f914860"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. free windows 10 upgrade clean reinstall activation error 2019