Windows 10: Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

Discus and support Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop since I was told it (may) help things run a bit smoother, it went along fine and I had my brother... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MerlenR, May 27, 2019.

1. MerlenR Win User

Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop since I was told it (may) help things run a bit smoother, it went along fine and I had my brother help me through it. Nothing was lost and it seemed to have gone through as it should.
    I grabbed specific programs I wanted to keep from Windows.old folder that Windows created to put a good amount of programs and other files.
    Everything was fine in that folder, I sifted through it and grabbed things I wanted to keep and had no plan of wiping the folder anytime soon for I assumed far later in the future I'll still want to grab certain files and programs from it.

Shortly before I created an account to post on here, I noticed that the Windows.old folder was completely empty except a few empty folders (Perflogs, Users, WINDOWS, Recovery) but all the folders are also empty through themselves and other contained folders.

Why did all of my files randomly get deleted? Everything was there and working after I had reinstalled Windows and I had even grabbed specific programs and other select files from it to bring back to work in Windows.

I had not deleted a single file in that folder, nor have I had any plans to.
    Does anyone have a clue what Windows could have done that wiped all my data without notifying me?

I have lost all my programs (some irreplaceable) All files I had saved on my Desktop where I had many folders containing most of my data, majority of it can't be replaced.

:)

MerlenR, May 27, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 27, 2019
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, May 27, 2019
  4. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared - Similar Threads - Reinstallation Kept Files

2. Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.: I kept noticing my storage keeps disappearing even though I am not downloading anything at the moment. I am not sure exactly if I downloaded anything or I just didn't notice. I would have 50gb free and then a few days later I might have 35gb. I can probably account for 90% of...
  3. Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.: I kept noticing my storage keeps disappearing even though I am not downloading anything at the moment. I am not sure exactly if I downloaded anything or I just didn't notice. I would have 50gb free and then a few days later I might have 35gb. I can probably account for 90% of...
  4. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  5. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  6. windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later: Hello, I am starting to have a problem with a windows/system32/cmd.exe window popping up at random times on my laptop and disappearing a second later. it usually closes my chrome tabs and reopen them as well. I am currently using a windows 11 laptop and it is really starting...
  7. windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later

windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later: Hello, I am starting to have a problem with a windows/system32/cmd.exe window popping up at random times on my laptop and disappearing a second later. it usually closes my chrome tabs and reopen them as well. I am currently using a windows 11 laptop and it is really starting...
  8. Recover files kept in reinstall Windows 10 process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover files kept in reinstall Windows 10 process: Windows 10 would not boot. We tried to reinstall but selected the "keep files" option. Where are those files then located? Not finding them when now back in to the old hard drive....
  9. I reinstalled windows 10 and kept my files but It’s been stuck here for about 2 and a half...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I reinstalled windows 10 and kept my files but It’s been stuck here for about 2 and a half...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Murniggels [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hofpqf/i_reinstalled_windows_10_and_kept_my_files_but/
  10. Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared: I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop, it went along fine and I had my brother help me through it. Nothing was lost and it seemed to have gone through as it should. I grabbed specific programs I wanted to keep from Windows.old folder that Windows created to put...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstall windows 10 files disappeared