Windows 10: Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working?

Discus and support Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have an internal card reader in my PC that can read multiple types of cards (XD, SD, MS, etc), and each card slot is assigned it's own Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DJKennedy90, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working?

Hello,

I have an internal card reader in my PC that can read multiple types of cards (XD, SD, MS, etc), and each card slot is assigned it's own Drive letter.

Now, I have customized icons for my internal and removable drives through my RegEdit:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\(Drive Letter)\DefaultIcon

And each Drive that I've given an icon to has been working fine until today. My three internal drives which I've given icons to still have their icons,

but the removeable drives (SD, XD, etc), have all had their icons replaced with an ugly, generic icon which looks like (given they're small) either a computer tower or even a filing cabinent.

Disabling then reenabling my card reader has shown that that the icons I've set for in RegEdit are there, they pop up for a second, but then are covered up by this new empty drive icon.

Is there a way for me to disable this icon and get my custom icons for my removable drives to return? Would greatly appreciate any assistance!

:)

DJKennedy90, Nov 10, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 10, 2019
  3. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working? [​IMG]

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working? [​IMG]

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working?

Why is the Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows 10?

Hi.

I am using a HP Envy with Windows 10. Safety remove icon missing and I can not safely remove my IPhone.

I have read that other members of the forum have had the same problem of the Safety remove icon not showing. I followed all the steps suggested by Microsoft link and by pclicious.com. I also created a shortcut on the desk and still no chance for me safety
    remove the IPhone. I add a Galaxy Note II and still the icon was not showing. Then I added a WD external store drive and the icon suddenly appeared. It was showing not only the WD external store but the Galaxy too. However the iPhone was not in the list.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Zoraida

Zoraida Quintero-Hardie, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working?

1. Windows 10 Removable Drive Icons Not Working? - Similar Threads - Removable Drive Icons

2. Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop: I have a folder called One Drive on my desktop. I right clicked it to delete it from the desktop and it began deleting my one drive files. I stopped it then had to go back and recover the files from the deleted items folder that is in one drive. I have the one drive icon on...
  3. Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop: I have a folder called One Drive on my desktop. I right clicked it to delete it from the desktop and it began deleting my one drive files. I stopped it then had to go back and recover the files from the deleted items folder that is in one drive. I have the one drive icon on...
  4. How to remove shared Icon from Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove shared Icon from Drive: So There Comes An Small Logo In Lower Left Corner Of An File if we share It. I want to remove it but over the internet, I am Unable to Find a way to do so. Meanwhile, I tried many things including the modification of root icons file "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imageres.dll" -164 and...
  5. Removable drives on PC not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removable drives on PC not working: Windows 10 was auto updated recently and since then the removable drives on pc are not being recognised. What can I do to fix this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removable-drives-on-pc-not-working/3d1af104-878f-4af8-8a9f-2dedb6cc1202
  6. Windows 10 - Removable Drive Icons do not work

Windows 10 - Removable Drive Icons do not work: I have several removable drives, USB sticks and SD cards, all of which have custom drive icons which load via a autorun.inf file. The autorun and drive icons are located on each drive. Recently, windows replaced these drive icons with a generic icon which looks like a...
  7. Windows 10 Update removed icons, but not icon captions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update removed icons, but not icon captions.: I installed the update "2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4100347)" and it made my icons disappear from my desktop. It does not impact my ability to open the icon, as I can click on the caption of the icon. [ATTACH]...
  8. Safely Remove Icon not working properly

Safely Remove Icon not working properly: Hello Everybody! I'm new here. I just upgraded to Windows 10 1511 (November Update), and saw the new (modernized) Safely Remove icon in the system tray - and the problem, it's not working properly. Here's my screenshot: [img] Whereas before: [img] (I know,...
  9. Windows 10 Safely remove icon

Windows 10 Safely remove icon: I've tried the usual methods if task bar options etc, no joy. I've also searched online, still no joy!!!! [img] Can someone educate me on this please? Thank you, 23938
  10. remove icons in windows 10 taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    remove icons in windows 10 taskbar: Does someone know how to remove icons in windows 10 taskbar? I have tried deleting the programs but the icons remain in the taskbar. 52288