Windows 10: Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no <name.2> variation...

Discus and support Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no variation... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; • Coming from Windows 7, we had a feature where if a file had the same name, it would copy it over and add a (2) onto the end of the name. This does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Curleyyy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no variation...

• Coming from Windows 7, we had a feature where if a file had the same name, it would copy it over and add a (2) onto the end of the name. This does not happen in Windows 10, and causes me great frustration. How do I fix this miniscuel thing?

• Reason: When copying old files/folders it will leave behind any file with the same name; while to some it's not desirable to have 500 documents called (2) (3) (4) I find it very useful and saves a lot of time with transfers.

https://i.imgur.com/hRNv0dt.png

submitted by /u/Curleyyy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Curleyyy, Feb 14, 2020

2. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are not receiving the option to skip or replace the files, while copying files with same names. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?

Refer the article
    Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

Meanwhile, you can follow the suggestion mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:

Try resetting the File Explorer settings to defaults and see if that helps.

1. Press Windows +
      E key to open File Explorer.
    2. Now click on View and click on
      Options.
    3. On the Folder
      Options window click on Restore Defaults.
    4. Now click on View tab and click on
      Restore Defaults.

Try copying the files with same names and see if you get the Skip or replace option window.

Method 2:

Uncheck the Folder Merge Conflicts option and see if that helps. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows +
      E key to open File Explorer.
    2. Now click on View and click on
      Options.
    3. On the Folder
      Options window click on View tab.
    4. Under Advanced
      settings scroll down and uncheck the option Hide
      folder merge conflicts.
    5. Click on Apply and
      OK.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Sanwin2 Win User
    Replace or Skip

Neither option does what you ask.

Skip will not copy the files which have the same name, irrespective of any that have been modified.

Replace will copy ALL the files with the same name, even if they have not been modified.

Sanwin2, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no variation...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no variation...

1. Windows 10 - Replace/Skip but no variation... - Similar Threads - Replace Skip <name

2. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug: Dear Windows, I copied an updated version of a pdf document and pasted it into a folder with a file of the same name, expecting the usual Replace or Skip dialog box, when to my surprise, the file pasted with no dialog. The file does not say copy either, there are 2! files of...
  3. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug: Dear Windows, I copied an updated version of a pdf document and pasted it into a folder with a file of the same name, expecting the usual Replace or Skip dialog box, when to my surprise, the file pasted with no dialog. The file does not say copy either, there are 2! files of...
  4. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Replace or Skip Files dialog is broken

Replace or Skip Files dialog is broken: I get a super strange behavior from newest version of Windows 10. There are many file conflict when copying, but in the list which files do you want to keep? It is blank and white after 20 items.https://youtu.be/xwak9QtWGfM I took a video of the bug. Maybe I'm doing something...
  6. Windows 10 no replace or skip file dialog box appearing.

Windows 10 no replace or skip file dialog box appearing.: When I copy a duplicate file I do not get a dialog box, just a file with the same name and copy added. I have tried the following with no success :- Method 1: Try resetting the File Explorer settings to defaults and see if that helps. Press Windows + E key to...
  7. Bose Soundlink Mini 2 skipping with windows 10

Bose Soundlink Mini 2 skipping with windows 10: Hello, Since a couple of months, my bose won't play audio correctly from my laptop running the latest windows & updated drivers. Also the bose driver is up to date, but it isn't a bose issue as it plays correctly from for example my phone. How to fix this Windows...
  8. Windows 10 variations

Windows 10 variations: What are the differences between w10 Home and W10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-variations/39fdc0fa-617b-4b43-adfd-db8f895c68ff
  9. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names: I have a very large volume of folders copied from my old XP laptop now on my Windows 10 laptop but i cant move them into the main file without them merging into the same folder because i have different files i want to keep seperate. For example if I have a folder on my...
  10. Name of Windows 10 Mail app replaced

in Windows 10 Customization
    Name of Windows 10 Mail app replaced: [IMG] Hi! I have installed windows 10 1803 for my new computer. The name has replaced on action center, settings but not in the start menu. Calendar gets the same problem. And the icon missing in default apps settings. I already have installed, run sfc, repair with iso but...