Windows 10: Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD Restore Way

Discus and support Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD Restore Way in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here professional,as a college student who still working for thesis I need all of your help, recently my Asus X441B had some malfunction in keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NevKun, May 30, 2019.

1. NevKun Win User

Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD Restore Way

Here professional,as a college student who still working for thesis I need all of your help,

recently my Asus X441B had some malfunction in keyboard button, so I decide to Reset my PC after several failed attempt of fixing it manually

Sadly, due to tiredness, I mistakenly choose the full Clean Reset that will fully clean the drive so recovery is hard to be done, and now all of my important data gone without any-way to restore or available backup data

Is there any recommended way should I partake or 3rd party program strong enough to locate my data, have tried some software but with no good result

:)

NevKun, May 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Hi,

I have a quick question about the "Fully Clean The Drive" option for Windows 10...

I have read that if you are planning on selling your computer you should reset Windows 10 and select 'Fully Clean The Drive'. I have read this is 'similar' to running format.exe c:\ /P:0, which would overwrite the whole drive
    with zeros, making data recovery from a traditional HDD pretty much impossible.

My questions are

1) What exactly does fully clean the drive do? Does it overwrite the WHOLE drive or just delete user files and overwrite the free space? Because if it were to overwrite the whole drive how could it reinstall windows because there
    would be no remaining data on the drive.

2) How does fully clean the drive work on SSD's? A single overwrite on a SSD would not be sufficient to sanitise the drive unless a TRIM command was also issued. Would fully clean the drive issue a TRIM command?

I guess my main question is how likely is it you can recover user data after you 'fully clean the drive' on an SSD?

Thank you in advance!

DanLowe4543, May 30, 2019
  3. PTNZ Win User
    Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Ha ha.

So many replies and no one is answering the question - "Does the 'Fully clean the drive' (so that you can recycle your computer) clean an SSD drive?

I suspect that it doesn't and Microsoft are avoiding answering the question.

As so many new laptops are running on SSD drives this is a really important question.

...I've just reset my old laptop with an SSD (to sell it) and it now says (after several hours) that it was unable to clean all personal files and recommends that I reset the PC again :-/

:-( EDITED: I've now tried to reset 5 times. Seems Windows 10 has ceased to exist! The message I'm getting now says that my PC can not be recovered. This was supposed to be a Windows 10 recovery USB. It looks like it does everything that its supposed to
    do, except in the end there's no recovery, only wipe! Wow, that's screwy.

4. JRJSmith Win User

Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

@Ratandeep

Many thanks for your link. However, it appears that I have not been clear. I understand how TRIM works with SSDs.

What I was looking for was an answer to both the questions from the OP but, especially the second. For clarity, I shall reiterate (directly from the OP's post:

1) What exactly does fully clean the drive do? Does it overwrite the WHOLE drive or just delete user files and overwrite the free space? Because if it were to overwrite the whole drive how could it reinstall windows because there
    would be no remaining data on the drive.

2) How does fully clean the drive work on SSD's? A single overwrite on a SSD would not be sufficient to sanitise the drive unless a TRIM command was also issued. Would fully clean the drive issue a TRIM command?

Personally, I would want to run TRIM rather than overwrite a WHOLE SSD but that's just me.

What I REALLY want to know is How does fully clean the drive work on SSDs and would it issue the TRIM command?

Regards

Joe.

JRJSmith, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD Restore Way - Similar Threads - Reset Fully Clean

2. Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD: Sorry if this had already been answered, I searched Google and this site and couldn't find an answer. I was gifted an old HP laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago (it also originally came with a HDD and was upgraded to a SSD) and I want to do a full reset so...
  3. Best way to fully clean the register?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to fully clean the register?: Hi, I would like to fully clean my register, i have some Issues with malware. Fully clean windows wipe and reinstall don't affect the register. Is there any software that does this? Doing it manually would take ages :/. https://imgur.com/a/CucSQ9o submitted by...
  4. fully clean drive

fully clean drive: After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?...
  5. Windows Fully Clean the Drive Index.dat

Windows Fully Clean the Drive Index.dat: Hello does windows reset "fully clean the drive" deletes the Index.dat web history or overwrites him? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-fully-clean-the-drive-indexdat/1ee1bfde-34d6-4725-8efa-0617f0ee3dbb
  6. Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing: So when I downloaded windows 8 transformation pack it told me to restart... So i did but when i signed in all it showed was a black screen as my desktop and when i pressed "CTRL + ALT + DELETE" it showed me the default options so all i was able to access was The task manager...
  7. Windiws 10 Fully clean the drive

Windiws 10 Fully clean the drive: Question is if I have more then one drive and Windows 10 installed in C:Drive the Fully clean the drive option will clean C:Drive only or others drive also. Thanks Pramesh...
  8. Windows 10 restore - Fully clean drive

Windows 10 restore - Fully clean drive: How long should Windows 10 restore with "fully clean drive" option take? After I chose to proceed, the message "Preperation of Windows - Do not turn off your computer" appeared, as well as the loading icon. And it has been showing this for more than a hour. I have an HP...
  9. Fully clean the drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully clean the drive: I've been fully cleaning the drive for about 12 hours now and it's been stuck at the same percentage for ages as I left it over night is there anyway I can check to speed up the process or check if it's not even working anymore thanks...
  10. Fully cleaning the drive loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully cleaning the drive loop: I've been trying to erase everything from my pc so I clicked fully clean the drives it started off okay but when it got to 42% it stopped and it's been like this for a few hours how long does it take and any way to fix it?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hoew to fully clean ssd and hdd to clean install everything

2. reset and clean drive

3. fully clean the drive

4. recover drive clean the drive fully,
  5. windows reset clean drive ssd,
  6. will windows reset clean an ssd,
  7. fully clean ssd install window,
  8. Windows 10 Reset and Fully Clean The Drive,
  9. windows 10 does fully clean the drive install windows?,
  10. ssd clean drive fully