Windows 10: Windows 10 Reset with "Clean data" option for corporate laptops - is it secure?

Discus and support Windows 10 Reset with "Clean data" option for corporate laptops - is it secure? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to understand how secure the process is to reset a corporate laptop running Windows 10 Pro back to factory settings, such that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ironman85, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Ironman85 Win User

Windows 10 Reset with "Clean data" option for corporate laptops - is it secure?

Hello,

I would like to understand how secure the process is to reset a corporate laptop running Windows 10 Pro back to factory settings, such that it can be repurposed for personal use.

Laptop specification: Windows 10 Pro factory OEM, NVMe SSD, Bitlocker encryption turned on.

I am aware of the Windows 10 Reset option, i.e.:

Windows 10 Reset > Remove everything > Change settings > Clean data set to Yes

I would like to understand the process to "clean data" from the drive, i.e.:

1. Does the process delete the partition with data on it, or apply some other process to clean it? Is any data decrypted during the process?

2. Does the process differ depending on the type of drive? I know for an SSD a traditional writing of 1&0s is not as effective as for HDD.

3. Does the process set a new Bitlocker key?

Basically I want to understand how recoverable is any data remaining on the drive after the reset process has completed.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

:)

Ironman85, Sep 3, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Windows 10 free upgrade and formating the laptop

You can also perform a clean install using a Reset on your Windows 10 as another option. Performing a Reset on Windows
    10 is like reformatting, we suggest that you make sure to have a backup in case you don’t want to lose some files and data. To do a reset, follow these steps:

• Click
      Start
      and go to
      Settings.

• Select
      Update & Security.

• Choose
      Recovery.

• Select
      Remove everything
      to do a reset that acts like
      reformatting
      your Windows 10.

• Remove files and clean the drive
      or
      Just remove my files. Choose which you prefer.

• Click
      Reset.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Reset with "Clean data" option for corporate laptops - is it secure? - Similar Threads - Reset Clean data

2. Setup after reset of company laptop without corporate account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup after reset of company laptop without corporate account: I recently reset my former work laptop so that I can pass it on to someone else. Upon trying to set up the system from scratch, the setup menu is asking me for an email address tied to my former employer, and the employers logo appears on the screen. I no longer work there...
  3. Setup after reset of company laptop without corporate account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setup after reset of company laptop without corporate account: I recently reset my former work laptop so that I can pass it on to someone else. Upon trying to set up the system from scratch, the setup menu is asking me for an email address tied to my former employer, and the employers logo appears on the screen. I no longer work there...
  4. Setup after reset of company laptop without corporate account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 reset with option "clean the drive" black screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reset with option "clean the drive" black screen?: Hi, I decided to reset my windows 10 computer with the option "Remove files and clean the drive". When it started, it said "Restarting computer" like normal, but the screen went black. Is this normal for a complete wipe?The computer seems to be running as the fans are...
  6. Windows 10 reset with option "clean the drive" black screen?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reset with option "clean the drive" black screen?: Hi, I decided to reset my windows 10 computer with the option "Remove files and clean the drive". When it started, it said "Restarting computer" like normal, but the screen went black. Is this normal for a complete wipe?The computer seems to be running as the fans are...
  7. Windows 10 reset with option "clean the drive" black screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Resetting old corporate laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resetting old corporate laptop: A company in my area just had a going out of business sale and I bought an old laptop from them. It is loaded with windows 10 but requires admin privileges to do anything. What do I need to do to make this laptop useable as a personal laptop. submitted by /u/ekajdnarima...
  9. How to Turn on Windows 10 BitLocker for Securing Corporate Data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Turn on Windows 10 BitLocker for Securing Corporate Data: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nancybatespro [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnyawy/how_to_turn_on_windows_10_bitlocker_for_securing/
  10. Reset Laptop data - windows 10 pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset Laptop data - windows 10 pro: Hi I want to reset my PCs data remotely using my Microsoft account. Is there a way to do that? I was recently laid off and my laptop had a lot of my personal stuff in it. I just want to make sure everything is wiped clean before its given to another person. Your help is...