Windows 10: Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

Discus and support Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JackStillAlive, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the upgrade, my default apps keep getting reset on every single boot, it started on Win 11, and now it haunts me on Win 10. Default image viewers resets to nothing from Iranfview x64, Video player gets reset to Winampwhy? from VLC, and browser gets reset to Edge from Firefox. All of these apps use their latest version and I don'

:)

JackStillAlive, Aug 13, 2022

2. Resetting Default App in Widows 10

Hi Peter,

Some of the possible reason why you're default apps reset every reboot is due to corrupted system files or third party software. We suggest that you set at least 2 or 3 default apps then perform a clean boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any
    third party programs. Click this
    link
    to view the steps on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in resolving the problem.

Regile Reb, Aug 13, 2022
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot :(

puma99dk|, Aug 13, 2022
  4. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

How to reset Windows 10 settings to default?

Hi,

As per your concern, some settings on Windows 10 have default options. You can reset Windows 10 to its defaults app by following this steps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • On the left side, select Default app.

Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot [​IMG]

• Under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click Reset.
    Regarding your concern with default button on each setting, you have a great idea. We suggest that you share your comments on our Windows Feedback hub for us to improve our services. Simply type
    Windows Feedback on the Start menu.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Aug 13, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

1. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot - Similar Threads - resets default apps

2. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  3. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  4. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  5. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  6. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  7. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  8. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

9. Default apps reset after every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default apps reset after every reboot: So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set everything again (not just the browser, every default app) but after a reboot, Firefox asked me again so it clearly doesn't...
  10. Default app will be reset every time

Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...