Windows 10: Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot

Discus and support Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop. Every time the system is rebooted, it defaults back to a temp set up. All items pinned to the taskbar are no longer there.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ivykeep, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ivykeep Win User

Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot

I have a Windows 10 laptop. Every time the system is rebooted, it defaults back to a temp set up. All items pinned to the taskbar are no longer there. The default location for Documents, downloads, pictures and desktop reverts to C:\users\Temp. I have changed the locations in File Manager multiple times and applied the change and it works for that session, but as soon as Windows is shut down, everything goes back to Temp when I log in again. We are logging in with an active and correct Microsoft account (email address works fine) and PIN number. I originally discovered the issue when several files I created (or downloaded) and saved were not there the next time I logged in. I discovered it was because they were saving to c:\users\temp which is cleared each time it shuts down.

The Quick Access section of file manager shows the location as C:\users\Temp. I changed the location to the correct path to our login and it correctly saves for that session, but as soon as the system is rebooted, all changes to the system are discarded and the locations are back to C:\users\Temp. It is getting exceedingly annoying and frustrating.

I have run McAfee virus scan multiple times with no issues found. Any suggestions on what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

:)

ivykeep, Oct 3, 2019

2. Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Photo Viewer default download storage location

Since you wanted to change the default location of your Microsoft Photo Viewer to another drive, we suggest that you try to check on the link below first:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Marivel Man, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot - Similar Threads - resets default storage

2. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  3. Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows resetting to default settings or loading a temp profile every time I reset my laptop: Not sure what is happening but this starting happening with the most recent update. I am unable to sync my settings. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resetting-to-default-settings-or-loading-a/d0612fd9-10bf-4c2c-a19b-34b0312e30f1
  4. App volume and preferences reset to default after every reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    App volume and preferences reset to default after every reboot: I'm using Wave link software by elgato to separate and organize audio outputs from programs, games, browser, system etc. I've noticed that every time I shut down my system for the night and boot up the next day these custom outputs I set in advanced sound settings under app...
  5. Windows 10 Settings reset to default after reboot

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Settings reset to default after reboot: If Windows 10 keeps resetting all your settings to default, then here are a few things you need to take a look at. Imagine all setting rest to default automatically every time you shut down or restart your computer. A few users have been complaining about the issue. Let’s see...
  6. Changing default storage locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default storage locations: Every time I download any new music, its stored automatically in the file explorer, C:. when I go to change that default location, it doesn't give ant other option to save anywhere else but drive C:. This is very frustrating as they are then not found in the media player to...
  7. Default apps reset after every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default apps reset after every reboot: So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set everything again (not just the browser, every default app) but after a reboot, Firefox asked me again so it clearly doesn't...
  8. Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.: There are a couple of programs that I like to have as my default programs, my Browser (Firefox) and my media player (VLC) and I can change them to be the defaults, BUT every time I restart or reboot my computer they get changed back to the windows defaults like Microsoft...
  9. Win 10 Home default storage locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home default storage locations: I started using a new PC with Win10 Home installed. After a couple of days, I received a message saying my OneDrive space was almost full. When I looked into this I found the default location for my photos is a OneDrive folder. This was set automatically. When I try to change...
  10. Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location: Hi, I was wondering if it's alright or not a good idea to change the path of TEMP/TMP folder? I have SSD(C) as my OS and apps like PS, Maya etc. and HDD(D) to just store things and apps that performance is not really concerned. I had Win7 before recently upgraded to Win10 and...