Windows 10: Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default

Discus and support Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 was fine few days ago and everything was alright and no problems until someday, I noticed that my laptop shut down itself then when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RageMadVenom, May 15, 2020.

1. Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default

Windows 10 was fine few days ago and everything was alright and no problems until someday, I noticed that my laptop shut down itself then when I restarted it, I got that automating repair thing, and I kept getting it everytime I restart the laptop, so I knew the laptop had problems and I had to format it and reinstall windows 10, after reinstalling windows 10, I tried to install the updates which contain my 2 GPUs Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7400M and after that the resolution changed to 1600x900 which is my screen's resolution, but after the updates finished, they required me to restart the laptop so I did but after I did, laptop passed the spinning wheel of windows and after that, the screen went BLACK and the logon screen didn't come, so I had to restart it, and everytime I restart it, the screen is black as I said, so I did a system restore and everything worked but the resolution was the default one.

So my problem here is that when installing graphics drivers for AMD and Intel, screen goes black even after the restart, but when using Windows Display Adapter, everything is fine.

Things I tried:
    System restore
    Safe boot with networking to install/uninstall drivers
    Startup repair
    Installing latest drivers

And honestly I dont know what is the problem and I really want a solution for it, any help is really appreciated as I've been stuck with this problem for over 2 days

:)

RageMadVenom, May 15, 2020
  2. Mobin Win User

Default to incorrect resolution

Hey guys

I have an ASUS PB278Q (native 1440p) monitor and a GTX980 G1 Gaming. Latest nVidia drivers installed.

Whenever I cold boot, the monitor defaults to 1080p and I can't change it back to 1440p via the control panel or nVidia settings. It just gives the "Windows could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution." error.

But..... if I restart or unplug/plug the display cable it goes back to 1440p as normal. I have tried cleaning the nVidia drivers and reinstalling, same with the monitor drivers. And nothing!

I don't want to reinstall windows and I hope to god the hardware is not damaged.

What do you'll think GPU or Monitor? Any suggestions on what I could try?

Thanks

Mobin, May 15, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Change resolution without seeing

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below. Check if it helps.

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Click on settings
    • Go to Display
    • Click on Advance display settings
    • Change the resolution (1280x1024 recommended)

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

To enter into low-resolution mode
    in Windows 10 in change the settings in it, follow the steps given below.

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, May 15, 2020
  4. Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default

Resolution change problem

Hi Miles,

Booting your computer into safe mode may help resolve the issue. Safe mode will adjust your computer's resolution back to default, thus make your monitor or tv work again. Follow the steps below:

• Power On your PC.
    • Press F8 during the first 10-15 seconds of your computer booting up.
    • Advance Boot Options should load, select Safe Mode.
    • Once in Safe Mode, try adjusting the resolution settings.
    • Restart your computer.
    If the issue still persists after doing the steps, we suggest using another monitor to help resolve the issue.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default

1. Windows 10 resolution changes after restart to default - Similar Threads - resolution changes restart

2. Laptop restarts after I change resolution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop restarts after I change resolution: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop and whenever i change resolution to 1366x768 my laptop reboots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-i-change-resolution/12e6cddf-6da1-42a0-8eee-5bdd2db33874
  3. Laptop restarts after I change resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts after I change resolution: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop and whenever i change resolution to 1366x768 my laptop reboots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-i-change-resolution/12e6cddf-6da1-42a0-8eee-5bdd2db33874
  4. Laptop restarts after I change resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart: I tried some of the suggested help but I am having same problem many time I have changed manually after reboot for required function. Again after the next reboot same problem persists. Kindly help to reset my default apps. for web browser, video player and image viewer...
  6. Can't change resolution after restart

Can't change resolution after restart: Hello Everyone! Today around 2 hours ago my screen turned to "no signal" while I was playing VR. After I was finished with my play session I realized that the screen had no signal so I unplugged the HDMI cable from my monitor and back in, only to find out it didn't work so...
  7. Resolution changes on restart

Resolution changes on restart: My display resolution changes everytime i restart my pc. When i shut down my pc and then turn it on,the resolution is normal I need help, i have the latest drivers. I want to change my default monitor resolution to a higher one...
  8. How to change default image size and resolution?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change default image size and resolution?: Whenever I save a pic e.g. I downloaded a 200kb pic from the internet, opened in powerpoint, edited it then right-clicked save as picture OR I downloaded a 200kb pic from the internet, edited it in the default photos app and then saved it, the image sizes are HUGE . 3 MB at a...
  9. Tutorial: How to change Windows 10 "default" resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Tutorial: How to change Windows 10 "default" resolution: I have stumble upon a strange problem when my Monitor is off, Windows back to default 1024x768 resolution, when i turn on the monitor, resolution is OK, but windows positions and sizes are messed up from the previous resolution. This is happening because some monitors...
  10. Windows 10 randomly restarts and change the resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 randomly restarts and change the resolution: Hi everyone. About three days ago, my windows 10 starts to randomly run some program which will first turn my screen into black color(I cannot move my mouse or close it) and then within 2 minutes it is going to restart my computer. And then my resolution setting is changed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore factory colors in windows 10