Windows 10: Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update

Discus and support Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So windows update has been forcing my computer to restart to update tons of times recently but it never does update. It restarts each day and i would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by halpme, Jul 25, 2016.

1. halpme Win User

Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update

So windows update has been forcing my computer to restart to update tons of times recently but it never does update.
    It restarts each day and i would appreciate it if someone can help me with this issue. Windows updates have been working fine until recently.

Please ask any question to get information that you need to help me solve this issue. Thank you for taking time to help me with this issue.

//
    Edit 1:

So i am seeing in the windows update log that there are multiple failed updates from even earlier than i thought. Some of these are:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition

Definition Update for Windows Defender

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511

:)

halpme, Jul 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Jul 25, 2016
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CWindows 10 restarting for update but does not update :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CWindows 10 restarting for update but does not update :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Jul 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If it were my computer, I would do a complete disc cleanup. Select every cleaning option using option 2 here:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Then go here and do the upgrade to version 1511 manually:
    Windows 10

I know that webpage seems to be for upgrading from Windows 7/8/8.1, but it also works to upgrade to version 1511 (the November update) from the original.

If the upgrade to version 1511 is successful, then go back and do the disc cleanup again to get things ready for the August 2 Anniversary upgrade.

Also, I have found that if I notice the notification that a restart is required for an update, either in the notification area or on the power icon, that going to settings, updates and security, and clicking the restart button there is more effective to get the updates to install.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 restarting for update but does not update - Similar Threads - restarting update does

2. Windows Updater does not restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updater does not restart: During these weeks, when I first sit down in the morning, I get a blue window telling me to restart for Windows Updater to complete the update. Why is it updated so frequently? Sometimes three times a day....
  3. Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart: My PC says it will update on shutdown/restart, however, neither option actually triggers updates to install, it just triggers a normal shutdown or reboot, and I need to install the patch for the print spooler vulnerability.My update history is showing me 6 counts of failed...
  4. Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?

Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?: I have a near-6-year-old PC which is about to be replaced by a new one, but while I'm just in the process of installing software I need which I use on the current one, the current one is trying to force the 20H2 update on me. This is a PC which - when I tried to just Restart,...
  5. Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10

Clicking Restart in Windows Update does not - Windows 10: Windows Update has been acting strange lately. After downloading and installing KB4579311, KB4578968 & Microsoft Office Updates when Restart was required, I clicked 'Restart" in the Windows10 Update window. However, instead of restarting the computer, it went through...
  6. Windows 10 Update does not finish updates

Windows 10 Update does not finish updates: Windows Update always says that 2 updates are needed, but everytime i download them and restart the computer, they never finish, and that causes my pc to last up to an hour to turn on and off. [ATTACH]...
  7. Got the 10565 Update but upon restart it does not update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Got the 10565 Update but upon restart it does not update ?: Updates are available. th2_release Professional 10565. A restart has been scheduled. Upon restart I am still on 10240 and the update will reappear in Windows Update and tell me to restart again I am on W10 Pro 10240, not activated but figuring the update would help...
  8. Windows 10 restart for updates?

Windows 10 restart for updates?: I need to get Windows updates at night on a fair number of computers. So, I figure I'll use gpedit to set automatic updating to Auto download and schedule the install and set the install at Every day at 3:00 am. But, I see that there is also a mechanism to cause a restart...
  9. Does not update from 8.1 to 10 during restart

Does not update from 8.1 to 10 during restart: I am currently running Windows 8.1 on my Samsung Laptop. According to the GWX window it has downloaded the update and keeps popping up to say 'It's almost time for your update', but when I click 'Start the upgrade now' my system restarts, without installing anything and just...
  10. windows 10 keeps restarting my computer for updates but does nothing

windows 10 keeps restarting my computer for updates but does nothing: I keep getting the Update massage saying my computer needs to be restarted for windows 10 update. Thing is every time it restarts nothing is downloaded and it just does it all over again like 15 minutes later. The Update it says its going to install is this Upgrade to...