Windows 10: Windows 10 Restarting when Idle

Discus and support Windows 10 Restarting when Idle in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For about a week or so my Windows 10 Home PC keeps restarting when I've been idle for about 10 or so minutes. If I periodically move the mouse or type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vann_dan, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Restarting when Idle

For about a week or so my Windows 10 Home PC keeps restarting when I've been idle for about 10 or so minutes. If I periodically move the mouse or type on the keyboard it doesn't restart. The computer will restart even if I'm doing something passively, like watching a full screen video.

At this point I'm out of ideas and not sure what could be the problem. I've tried looking online for solutions for similar problems, but it hasn't really helped resolve the issue I am facing. I have tried the following with no luck:

1. Looked at the Event Viewer for Critical or Error events. The only thing it shows are things related to an unexpected shutdown without any more information (ex: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)
    2. Looked at the Reliability History, but the only thing it shows are events that correspond to the critical errors from point 1.
    3. Made sure Windows was updated to the latest version and Windows Update has all the latest updates (currently on version 20H2, build 19042.685).
    4. Installed Hardware Monitors to see if the CPU or GPU was overheating. Nothing got above the 50-55 C range before the idling restart occurred.
    5. Updated my video card drivers to the latest version.
    6. Tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest Bluetooth and USB Drivers.
    7. Looked at the Task Scheduler to see if there were any problematic tasks scheduled for when the computer was idle, but didn't see anything.
    8. Under the "Startup and Recovery" settings I have disabled the "Automatically restart" option and have enabled the "Automatic memory dump" option, but this hasn't provided any useful debugging information.
    9. Scanned all hard drives for disk errors. No errors were found.
    10. Ran a Virus Scan, but that didn't find anything. I am in the process of trying to run a full virus scan, but that has sometimes been affected by the random idle restarts due to how long that takes.

Any other suggestions for how to troubleshoot or debug this so I can figure out what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/vann_dan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vann_dan, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 29, 2020
  3. little cat, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Windows 10 Restarting when Idle

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Restarting when Idle

1. Windows 10 Restarting when Idle - Similar Threads - Restarting Idle

2. laptop restarts when left idle for a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop restarts when left idle for a while: i have windows 11, whenever I run something on a browser like databricks or some cloud stuff like azure and leave it for a while, my system starts displaying a BSOD with error code internal power error, but the same dosent happen with normal browser usage or just youtube,...
  3. laptop restarts when left idle for a while

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop restarts when left idle for a while: i have windows 11, whenever I run something on a browser like databricks or some cloud stuff like azure and leave it for a while, my system starts displaying a BSOD with error code internal power error, but the same dosent happen with normal browser usage or just youtube,...
  4. Laptop restart itself while idling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restart itself while idling: I have problem with my brand new HP OMEN. It tend to restart it self from time to time when it sit idle. Sometimes it boot back up normally sometimes like last time i had to manually shut it down and turn it back on. Its a shame for such a pricey laptop to behave like this....
  5. Laptop restart itself while idling

Laptop restart itself while idling: I have problem with my brand new HP OMEN. It tend to restart it self from time to time when it sit idle. Sometimes it boot back up normally sometimes like last time i had to manually shut it down and turn it back on. Its a shame for such a pricey laptop to behave like this....
  6. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  7. Random Restarts When Idle

Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  8. My PC keeps on restarting on its own when left on idle for more than 15-20minutes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps on restarting on its own when left on idle for more than 15-20minutes?: I recently noticed that my computer has been restarting on its own after the latest windows update + GPU update from NVIDIA. Before it wasn't doing the restarts but right now it always does. I did an upgrade from my old CPU which is an i7700k to a AMD RYZEN 7 5700X paired...
  9. My PC keeps on restarting on its own when left on idle for more than 15-20minutes?

My PC keeps on restarting on its own when left on idle for more than 15-20minutes?: I recently noticed that my computer has been restarting on its own after the latest windows update + GPU update from NVIDIA. Before it wasn't doing the restarts but right now it always does. I did an upgrade from my old CPU which is an i7700k to a AMD RYZEN 7 5700X paired...
  10. My PC keeps on restarting on its own when left on idle for more than 15-20minutes?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging