Windows 10: windows 10 - restarts from update

Discus and support windows 10 - restarts from update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm using Windows 10 Home OEM 64Bitand I have the following problem: lately, my PC reboots between 2 and 5 times a day due to updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by askir, Apr 7, 2016.

1. askir Win User

windows 10 - restarts from update

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows 10 Home OEM 64Bitand I have the following problem: lately, my PC reboots between 2 and 5 times a day due to updates (windows or from automatic security maintainance). 15 mins before it reboots it warns me, and then after 15mins it just reboots without warning, in the middle of everything. Needless to say, this is extremely aggravating.

I disabled automatic windows updates, but it doesn't seem to work.
    2 or 3 things are "strange" in my windows environment:
    - in windows update settings, the option "select a restart time" is forever grey, i.e. I cannot set such a time. I havn't found anywhere how to fix this.
    - in windows update settings still, it tells me since at least 5 days that there is an update available (version 1511, 10586) and that "a restart has been scheduled".
    Aside from that, I unchecked the option "give me updates for other microsoft products..." and selected notify to schedule restart and put "off" in the menu called "choose how updates are delivered".

Can you please help me, I'm a bit at a loss and can't find a solution by simply googling my problem...

:)

askir, Apr 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Apr 7, 2016
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit Cwindows 10 - restarts from update :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit Cwindows 10 - restarts from update :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Apr 7, 2016
  4. windows 10 - restarts from update

Hello askir Welcome to the Ten Forums!

It's ironic but the new and latest Windows Insider Preview build addresses this exact same issue by seeing a brand new option to schedule updates to work around the time period you are active at the machine! In fact with a test seen on a previous build before that saw the latest go on it is quite possible to add this new option by simply adding in two new values in the System Registry manually however. The quick edit sees the new option appear in seconds! Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The test here was to find out if it was possible and confirmed in the initial reply to the new guide posted. What the Active Hours does is see the Start time and End time set where all updates are held off which includes automatic system restarts until the down time when you are away from the machine. These two new registry entries are pointed to in the guide itself making for easy reference. This could be a quick fix for seeing your problem solved as well by setting a predetermined activity period forcing all updates to go on when you are not present.

Night Hawk, Apr 7, 2016
  5. Try those 2 settings, not sure if they work on Home though. Run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Other than that, I can think only about disabling WU completely and perform updates yourself.

TairikuOkami, Apr 7, 2016
  6. The two reg entries should work as easily on the Home edition as it would in Pro, Education, possibly even the Enterprise edition since the WU is a standard function in all editions. This simply adds the option to limit the time updates will take over when set to automatic. 10 no longer has the notify but let me choose when option and why MS must have gotten a good earful from people about that! People do not like to be interrupted while they are right in the middle of something and why this option is actually long overdue for Windows period!

Night Hawk, Apr 7, 2016
  7. askir Win User
    Hi, thanks a lot !. I think it fixed my problem indeed (regedit thing).

askir, Apr 8, 2016
  8. windows 10 - restarts from update

Well that's good to know! I couldn't actually try out the new reg entries on an older build long enough without simply setting up a new VM with the Threshold 2 update in mind. Another problem that appeared suddenly last night wasn't update related however which there won't be any reg tweaks to find when the latest build suddenly restarted in order to collect information on something?

I was right in the middle of posting a reply on another topic and suddenly the screen goes blue with all of the text explaining that one. The browsers windows were then restored following a lengthy wait after the immediate restart to see a totally dark screen and then finally life came back. Apparently MS is seeing some automatic collection of data from this build going on? Or it might have simply been from an old pc game stalling earlier in the day being in an event log being gathered up.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 - restarts from update

1. windows 10 - restarts from update - Similar Threads - restarts update

2. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...
  3. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...
  4. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  5. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  6. Windows 11 Update Stuck on Pending Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Update Stuck on Pending Restart: My 2024-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 KB5036620 has been stuck on "Pending Restart" for months now. I have tried restarting my laptop Acer, Aspire A115-31 with all the ways possible. I even tried completely shutting...
  7. Windows 11 Update Stuck on Pending Restart

Windows 11 Update Stuck on Pending Restart: My 2024-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 KB5036620 has been stuck on "Pending Restart" for months now. I have tried restarting my laptop Acer, Aspire A115-31 with all the ways possible. I even tried completely shutting...
  8. how do you stop an update when the system says you must restart to install a downloaded update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you stop an update when the system says you must restart to install a downloaded update?: Finally repaired my system and turned off windows update service. Set a new restore point and when I went to the update section to ensure it was off, it stated that an update was pending upon restart. How do I stop the update? this is the same update I just uninstalled.Reply...
  9. how do you stop an update when the system says you must restart to install a downloaded update?

how do you stop an update when the system says you must restart to install a downloaded update?: Finally repaired my system and turned off windows update service. Set a new restore point and when I went to the update section to ensure it was off, it stated that an update was pending upon restart. How do I stop the update? this is the same update I just uninstalled.Reply...
  10. Unable to restart Windows after a chain of events starting with an update failure

Unable to restart Windows after a chain of events starting with an update failure: Hi,In my computer with Windows 11 installed, Windows update was stuck at 30%. Even though I restarted it 2-3 times, nothing changed. Finally, it entered its own recovery section but options such as startup repair, Uninstall updates, Startup settings did not open at safe mode...