Windows 10: Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will

Discus and support Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, 1 Is it not possible to get support from Microsoft for their own products? 2 My problem is that I can't prevent windows 10 from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IstvanPR, May 14, 2020.

1. IstvanPR Win User

Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will

Hello,

1 Is it not possible to get support from Microsoft for their own products?

2 My problem is that I can't prevent windows 10 from automatically restarting to install updates. Changing settings doesn't do anything.

My laptop Samsung Series 5 Ultra NP530 came originally with Windows 7, just before Windows 8 came out when it got upgraded; then later got upgraded to Windows 10, and that's when this issue started.

Whatever settings I change, the system will restart by itself "outside active hours". So let's say I have my laptop open at 1AM, working on something, I go to the bathroom and when I come back I find that all my open work is wracked... Pretty annoying. Also, till it happens the system keeps bugging me with the "we will restart" pop-up message like malware on some hacked website.

I have contacted Microsoft a bunch of times regarding this issue. And once it actually got solved! That time I got a write-up in an email from an actual microsoft staff with these steps:

"1. Open Start.
    2. Search for Task Scheduler and click the result to open the tool.
    3. Right-click the Reboot task and select Disable."

Plus these steps because the above didn't do the trick:

"1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
    2. Type the following path and click OK:
    %windir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator
    3. Select the Reboot file without an extension, right-click it, and select Rename

4. Rename the Reboot file to Reboot.old.
    5. Right-click inside the folder, select New, and click on Folder.

After you've completed the steps, Windows 10 will no longer be able to re-create the task to reboot your computer automatically."

I did this and the problem disappeared.

So I had to rename and hide system files to get rid of the annoyance...

Nonetheless, the issue has returned a few months ago. I assume with an update.

I attempted to contact Microsoft but all I could get is some answers from Microsoft Windows Agents, whom I couldn't reach ever again, after the initial message I received from them.

Problem not solved.

It's nerve wrecking when the system restarts by itself with all my work open, and having no control over what my own system is doing.
    It happened that I was working late like 1AM, went out to the bathroom, for 1 minute, and had to return to my computer finding that it restarted, with all my work open. Makes me furious.

Any advice on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

IstvanPR, May 14, 2020

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, May 14, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 14, 2020
  4. Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will

[Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

Edit: Try "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package first and let us know if it works for you.

Adapted from Preventing a certain Windows Update from installing on Windows 10 by Igal Tabachnik.
    • Uninstall the problematical driver/update.
    • Restart the computer, if necessary, and/or switch to an administrator account.
    • Download Windows Update PowerShell Module and extract it to: %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules After doing so, you will have a %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSWindowsUpdate folder with a bunch of files.
    • Start -> All Apps -> expand Windows PowerShell -> right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as Administrator. This is very important or you'll get errors in Windows PowerShell.
    • Now you should see the PowerShell window and you'll have to enter a series of commands. First order of business is loading up PSWindowsUpdate. Note: You have to do this every time you restart PowerShell and want to use PSWindowsUpdate commands!
      CommandDescriptionSet-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -ForceAllows the use of unsigned PowerShell scripts.Import-Module PSWindowsUpdateLoads PSWindowsUpdateSet-ExecutionPolicy Restricted -ForceClose the potential security hole.
    • Enter Get-WUList. This command will take a little while to execute. It retrieves the list of all available updates on Windows Update. If you do not see the problematical update here, it is either no longer being offered or it is installed.
    • Now you need to decide how to filter what update you want to hide. Here's some examples:
      CommandDescriptionHide-WUUpdate -Title "*Realtek High Definition Audio"This looks for a title that ends with (note the asterisk) "Realtek High Definition Audio"Hide-WUUpdate -Title "Realtek*"This looks for a title that starts with (note the asterisk) "Realtek"
      When you enter the above command, it will loop through all results it finds and ask whether or not you want to hide it. Make sure you only say "yes" to the one you want hidden and "no" to the rest.
    • It will automatically show the updated results. Verify there is an "H" under the status of the ones you want hidden and not behind the rest. If it is correct, close out of PowerShell and return to your normal user account if necessary. Run Windows Update and the update should not show/install.
    If you want to unhide an update, add -HideStatus:$false to the Hide-WUUpdate command.

FordGT90Concept, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will

1. Windows 10 restarts to install updates on its own will - Similar Threads - restarts install updates

2. Windows 10 restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 restarting on its own: I have MI notebook pro. Its almost 6 months old now. for last 2-3 months, its restarting on its own without giving any error or warning. It restarts and takes me back to the the lock screen. I tried googled all the ways on how to fix the issue. Disabled the automatic restart...
  3. Windows 10 restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 restarting on its own: I have MI notebook pro. Its almost 6 months old now. for last 2-3 months, its restarting on its own without giving any error or warning. It restarts and takes me back to the the lock screen. I tried googled all the ways on how to fix the issue. Disabled the automatic restart...
  4. Windows 10 restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 restarts on its own!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 restarts on its own!: I just bought an Acer Swift 3 314-41 with 4gb of ram, Ryzen 5 3500u with vega 8, 512 ssd. I've been experiencing forced restart without an explanation. I've disabled the auto restart. But it still restarts on it's own. A few days later the auto restart are gone, but when i...
  6. PC RESTARTING ON ITS OWN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC RESTARTING ON ITS OWN: hi, i just bought a new laptop. i've been using it for a week now and suddenly IT JUST RESTARTED ON ITS OWN!!! what do u think might be the problem? thanks in advance....
  7. Computer won't restart on its own to install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Computer won't restart on its own to install updates: Active hours are set from 9:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Despite updates being ready to install "outside active hours" the computer has not restarted itself in over two weeks to finish the update process. The computer has barely been used in that time frame but when I looked today it...
  8. Computer won't restart on its own to install updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't restart on its own to install updates: Active hours are set from 9:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Despite updates being ready to install "outside active hours" the computer has not restarted itself in over two weeks to finish the update process. The computer has barely been used in that time frame but when I looked today it...
  9. PC restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC restarting on its own: Product: HP Elite 7500 Series MT Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) I am desperate. My PC restarts on its own all of a sudden while I am working, once or twice a day, even if in Windows Update I set those hours as working hours. There is no error message. It...
  10. PC restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Support
    PC restarting on its own: I shut my desktop and printer off last night because of storm forecast. After shutting down I walked by and noticed my computer was on. So I shut it down again and this time waited for it to go black. I thought it had shut down. I came in this morning to start it and...