Windows 10: Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...

Discus and support Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had upgrade to Windows 10 and had backups of User Documents, Pictures, etc. that restored to a temp location on the new Windows 10 PC but I could... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LessonLearned, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...

I had upgrade to Windows 10 and had backups of User Documents, Pictures, etc. that restored to a temp location on the new Windows 10 PC but I could not read the users data to copy to the new home folders.

I finally found a method of changing ownership to a user that works. Run it twice ... first change the owner to 'Administrator' and then change owner to the user/group needed.

1. Login as 'Administrator' (or your modified admin account)

2. Right click the folder that you need to take ownership
    3. Click Advanced
    4. The window that pops up should show the current owner. Click "Change." The "Select User or Group" pop up box appears.

5. In the text box, type 'Administrator' (or your modified admin account), and hit the "Check Names" button. Your name will be replaced with the "official" system name (i.e.,preceded by computer name and back slash).
    6. Click OK
    7. The box disappears, sending you back to the Advanced Security Settings window.
    8. A new tick box appears below owner, with the text "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects" Select this tick box.
    9. Select the tick box "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object"
    10. Enable Inheritance should be visible (click on Disable Inheritance if not)
    11. Hit apply

12. Repeat steps 2-11 using the user's login that you actually wanted.13. Log off Administrator and login as user and view/move files to their new Home folders.

:)

LessonLearned, Mar 7, 2019
  2. PM_47th Win User

Denied Permission Access to Restored Files from Backup

After buying a new computer installed with Windows 10, I restored my backup files from a Western Digital backup drive to my new hard drive in the Documents folder.

Most of these documents are not accessible to me, and I have to go into the Properties/Security/Advanced/Permissions to add my User name to the list.

This has worked for the small number of files that I have tried this on, but now I need a fix for the thousands of files in the backup.

I read in an online forum that saving the backup to the Desktop and then moving the files to other folders would work to establish the permissions, but am concerned about the impact on the Desktop folder handling all of this file management.

is there a best practice solution for establishing a mass permission change to a large number of files?

PM_47th, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Ivon55 Win User

I restored a file from NovaStore Backup program, successfully. It is a Word file. When I tried to open the file I received a message that Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges.

I tried without success the suggestions demonstrated above. Basically the only change I needed to make was to click on Replace all child like permission entries... etc.

Now when I tried to uncheck the Replace child like permission... box it is no longer displayed. Now there is another entry in the Permissions entries window, which has full control access.

Have you any other suggestions for me to be able to access this Word document?

Ivon55, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...

Hello There

I have thousands of pictures on my D:\ drive

On about 80 files, I am being denied permissions to copy or back up the files to my external drive. I get the notice of Permissions Denied. The bulk of the files I can back up, but these few files are stopping me from making a smooth backup.

I would either like to restore my ability to back up all files or delete these 80 files so that a normal backup can take place.

Need help!

Thanks

Brian

BrianCross2160, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...

1. Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take... - Similar Threads - restore backup previous

2. Restoring to a previous version of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring to a previous version of windows 10: Due to a failed windows update I lost my entire OS and had to reinstall, losing all the data and programs that had not yet been backed up. With the new build, some of my apps do not work correctly some have known issues that the developer is working on. They worked well in...
  3. Permission access to files denied

Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  4. How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent Other users from restoring previous versions of files from […] This article How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Restoring previous versions of a TIFF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring previous versions of a TIFF file: Hello, Not sure if I should be asking about it here, sorry. I was working on my TIFF file in Photoshop CS5.1, when my computer shut down completely. It turned back on and I checked on the file, but it now says it's unable to be opened, not by Windows, nor by Photoshop or...
  6. Restore previous Windows backup files

Restore previous Windows backup files: I backed up my hard drive using the Windows 10 Backup tool in July 2019 on an external hard drive. My hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Now I am trying to restore my backup from July and can't open the files. How do I restore a backup from an external hard drive....
  7. backup or restore previous version of window os

backup or restore previous version of window os: Hey I format my windows 7 and install windows 10 but a huge mistake by me that i forgot about my e drive bitlocker password which i saved in windows 7 c drive so please somebody help me to recover my important files....
  8. how to recover files from previous windows version backups

how to recover files from previous windows version backups: Need to recover some files from old backups made on windows 7 or older and I am using windows 10 now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-files-from-previous-windows-version/2440db88-0967-4cfd-9da0-2172a32fb0bf
  9. Previous versions of files in restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Previous versions of files in restore point: Searched, didn't see this one. One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu...
  10. How to access user files from previous computer's backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to access user files from previous computer's backup: Hello All, Now that I'm on Windows 10 I found I have the need to access user files from an old backup when this machine was Windows 7. The Macrium backup gives me everything I need with the exception of the ability to view/access my prior user files. Can someone point me...