Windows 10: Windows 10 Restore question?

Discus and support Windows 10 Restore question? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I purchased a second Seagate Back-up Plus 2 TB external HD and used the Windows OS backup feature to make an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dgreen, Aug 26, 2015.

1. dgreen Win User

Windows 10 Restore question?

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I purchased a second Seagate Back-up Plus 2 TB external HD and used the Windows OS backup feature to make an image of my PC. It took about 5 hours to complete the image. Upon completion I looked at the image on the external HD and found the image file is 25.5 KB. I have a second Seagate 2 TB external that I have been using for 3 or 4 years with an image of a second computer using Seagate's Disc Wizard that shows the image at 205 GB. I will mention that I can't use Seagate Disk Wizard to create an image on the new drive because it is not compatible with my Anti-virus software Web-Root.

My concern is if my computer were to crash as it did about 4 months ago and the hard drive needed to be replaced, will this new image on the new Seagate HD be available to restore my computer? When I made the image, Windows asked where to copy the image to and the new Seagate 2 TB as selected, but a file 25.5 KB in size seems a little small or am I missing something?? *Confused

:)

dgreen, Aug 26, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Restore question?

That's way too small to be an OS image.

Personally, I would never use a built-in backup or imaging app as I've found third party apps that work better, faster, and are free.

Macrium Reflect backs up 40GB on my machine in under 10 minutes. Even on an older, slower, Win7 machine where the user insists on keeping everything in their default folders on the C: partition, the MR backup still takes only 45 minutes.

And, with the MR backup, you can "mount" an image file, as if it were a "drive" and retrieve individual files and folders from it.

Mark Phelps, Aug 26, 2015
  5. I'd second that, Macrium is a far better solution for system backups than the built-in tools.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 backup should create a .vhd file. You can mount the .vhd file as a virtual hard drive - because that is what vhd stands for, after all Windows 10 Restore question? :). So if you want to see if your image is actually there, try right clicking on the backup and see if you can mount it.

I agree 125% that Macrium Reflect Free is a much better backup choice.

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  7. dgreen Win User
    I did download Macrium Reflect software and tried to clone my HD but I got a dropdown that says my external HD sectors are not compatible with the sectors used by Macrium. I contacted Seagate and the drive was re-formatted to GPT, that didn't help either.

Any other suggestions??

dgreen, Aug 26, 2015
  8. acmanten Win User

From what I am see - the Macrium Reflect system will backup whatever HDD, type formatted, or OS that you might have.. I have seen several good acticles posted about it in the past here on WinForums, and will be checking it up - and testing it.
    Does it also does reformatting, types, and paritioning ?

Any more comments about Macium Reflect or Macium Reflect Free are appreciated.
    all be safe and thanks. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 26, 2015
  9. NO -- but the free downloadable version of Minitool Partition Wizard does all of that, and more.

Mark Phelps, Aug 26, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    v5: Incompatible Disk Selected

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  11. A word of warning about Minitool and Windows 10 - I resized the main partition on one of my PCs, increasing the size by including some unpartitioned space before it, and somehow this led to registry hive corruption when I rebooted. This was with Minitool 9, so it may not be completely compatible with Windows 10 at the moment.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  12. edmscan Win User
    I looked at Macrium Reflect Free .. and sorry I will not be doing it. The reason .. the download is on CNET, and that is the site where I bricked my computer about a year ago after downloading some software there.

So .. though it sounds good, I will not go there, as any reputable software is able to host their software themselves and not have people go to some 3rd party location to get their software.

I will stick to the Windows 10 system image option which I have running from a batch file .. and works perfectly.

edmscan, Aug 26, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

You COULD download the trial version of Macrium Reflect Home v6 directly from their website: Macrium Software | Business Products and then maybe have some time to draw further conclusions about their reputability independent of how they serve what is probably a HUGE demand for the reliably functional FREE version of their software. Granted, they are a small company but very higly regarded in reliability and support of their product. If you want to limit your scope of regard for them to the channels (more than just CNET) they provide the FREE version to - whatever floats your boat.

Word Man, Aug 26, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    Macrium Reflect is the best on the market. It restores my system in less than 2 minutes from an external drive. I have tried Acronis in the past and it is a joke.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, heck. Couldn't you also say "A word of warning about Windows 10. This software has bricked thousands of computers during upgrades '

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Restore question? - Similar Threads - Restore question

2. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  3. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  4. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  6. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  7. Microsoft factory restore questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft factory restore questions: Hello,I have some questions regarding the factory resotore settings. I have windows 10 on my computer but I got windows 10 from the free upgrade promotion microsoft was running for windows 7 users a couple years back. So my question is if I do a factory restore as instructed...
  8. Microsoft factory restore questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft factory restore questions: Hello,I have some questions regarding the factory resotore settings. I have windows 10 on my computer but I got windows 10 from the free upgrade promotion microsoft was running for windows 7 users a couple years back. So my question is if I do a factory restore as instructed...
  9. Microsoft factory restore questions

10. A question about system image restore and restore point.

A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...