Windows 10: Windows 10 Restore question?

Discus and support Windows 10 Restore question? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I looked at Macrium Reflect Free .. and sorry I will not be doing it. The reason .. the download is on CNET, and that is the site where I bricked my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dgreen, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Restore question?

Go here then if you're worried, it's only the installer you're downloading not the full programme. 3.4MB http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...ion-mr.jpg?s=c1e8b753a573dc6e5ffc1ac8c4009171

Torquemada, Aug 26, 2015
  2. dgreen Win User

Update: Instead of trying to clone my HD to the Seagate 2 TB drives, I cloned it with no problems to a Seagate "Free Agent 500 GB" external HD. The Macrium software worked super so far. Apparently the sectors are different on the Free Agent but acceptable.

Don G

dgreen, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Well a non-destructive partition resize (esp. enlarging one) is not something I would have expected to kill an OS. But to be fair on another system I got startup repair triggered earlier today after just using the standard windows defrag to trim an SSD, so for all I know MS may well be more to blame for the former than MiniTool. MS definitely has a few bugs to work out, and in the meantime it's more important than ever to have a system backup so this thread's quite apt!

xtcrefugee, Aug 27, 2015
  4. acmanten Win User

Windows 10 Restore question?

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/19/mac...-verification/

Afer taking a look at the webpage URL above - I will be checking it out, as I really like the idea of differential backup and auto verification. GHACKS.net has some good info about it... all be safe and thanks. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 27, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    Mark: I always appreciate you halp. Whee is info on being a VIP MEMBER//// Thanks Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 27, 2015
  6. dgreen Win User
    I would be interested if anyone else has had trouble cloning an internal HD to a Seagate Back-up Plus external HD? I can't help but feel like I didn't do something right while attempting to accomplish a simple task.

Don G

dgreen, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    Cliff - this and more is covered here: Reputation and Badges

Word Man, Aug 27, 2015
  8. acmanten Win User

tks, and I had no idea before seeing this and reading some of it.. now I need to read a lot more. I have really had some good help and assisstance from many of the users here.

be safe and thanks.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 27, 2015
  9. acmanten Win User
    Word Man, Thanks for all your help to me and answering all my questions. be safe and thanks. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    I'm happy to do so, Cliff. I'm enjoying learning myself.

Word Man, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Phone Man Win User
    Don, did you use the "clone" option or the "image" option?
    There is a big difference. A "clone" makes an exact copy of a disk so the new disk can be use as a replacement. An "image" is a compressed copy of you system, saved as a file and can be used to restore a disk or move to a new disk.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 29, 2015
  12. acmanten Win User
    I did dowload te FREE - 30-day Trial Macrium Reflect program last night and will be taking a good look at the documentation today, and checking it out during this 30 trial period. I wonder if there are any other backup programs available which could make a Windows Ten USB save - that would be bootable in case of a serious "no boot" Problem.
    Thanks... Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 30, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

Many. One example, which I have experience with, is Image for Windows/Linux/DOS (license includes all three) from Terabyte Unlimited - every bit as reliable as Macrium Reflect. Many other examples I won't mention but I'm sure there are forum members who have experience with the others and maybe they'll chime in.

Note that the 30 day trial of Macrium Reflect is meant to give you same functionality as paid version for 30 days whereas the FREE version has plenty of but not ALL of the functionality that the paid/30-day trial version does. If you don't pay up at the end of 30-day trial, I expect (but don't know firsthand) the trial version reverts to free version functionality. In any event, the free version can do ALOT for a free version.

Word Man, Aug 30, 2015
  14. Elbern Win User
    Hello dgreen,

I never tryed a hard drive clooning,
    Maybe one hard drive is using 512K sectors, and other one 4096K,
    Or a thing with controller inside the external bay...

I won't speack much, it's just things i read, days ago when i wanted myself to use:

Clonezilla, for future usage.

It's not possible for most tools or maybe all of them to clone 512k sectors to 4096k sectors.
    I mean, if you read doc, from clonezilla, or other partition managers, they say the same thing.

There is maybe a tool doing proper cloning with different sector size,
    HD clone 5 from Miray.

If reading informations from the main page:

They claim:
    For over 30 years, 512 Bytes have been the one-and-only standard sector size for any PC mass storage media. Now modern drives in "Advanced Format" can have different sector sizes (512, 512e, 1Kn, and 4Kn). HDClone allows you to create clones and file images between disks with different sector formats and converts NTFS and FAT file systems automatically.

Elbern, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Restore question? - Similar Threads - Restore question

2. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  3. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  4. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  6. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  7. Microsoft factory restore questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft factory restore questions: Hello,I have some questions regarding the factory resotore settings. I have windows 10 on my computer but I got windows 10 from the free upgrade promotion microsoft was running for windows 7 users a couple years back. So my question is if I do a factory restore as instructed...
  8. Microsoft factory restore questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft factory restore questions: Hello,I have some questions regarding the factory resotore settings. I have windows 10 on my computer but I got windows 10 from the free upgrade promotion microsoft was running for windows 7 users a couple years back. So my question is if I do a factory restore as instructed...
  9. Microsoft factory restore questions

10. A question about system image restore and restore point.

A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...