Windows 10: Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS?

Discus and support Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Not sure how else to word this other than the title, I wanted to do a clean windows 10 installation using media creation tool on a usb. I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SALT2.2, Jan 6, 2020.

1. SALT2.2 Win User

Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS?

Not sure how else to word this other than the title, I wanted to do a clean windows 10 installation using media creation tool on a usb.

I booted using the USB, hit advanced, and fired up the restore. clicked on "just remove my files" and it all started up fine.

I sat here and waited for it to finish, checking up on it every now and then, however it failed when it hit 75% and gave me blue screen with no other information other than something like "windows could not recover..." "no files have been changed"

dispite it stating that no files have been changed, using the command prompt and browsing the disk through "load system image" from the recovery media, I can confirm that files have, in fact, been changed...

The PC wont boot now. all options in the USB recovery mode won't work. command prompt "sfc scannow" ends saying that "windows recourse protection could not perform the requested operation"

"chkdsk" is taking an unusually long time currently running that as i type this

Other commands like "bootrec /fixboot" simply say "access denied"

I've only got one HDD plugged in atm. C: volume label is windows

I'm at a loss as what to do. I dont have another computer at my disposal at the moment and my internet is fairly limited.

cheers for taking the time

:)

SALT2.2, Jan 6, 2020

2. Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Jan 6, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS?

Rebooting of OS

Hi,

We need more information about your concern. Are you not able to boot completely or does it just restarts randomly? If you're unable to boot or experiencing a blue screen error, we suggest that you perform a system restore and see if it helps. Follow the
    steps below:

• Start your desktop, and after the manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to perform a hard shut down.

• Do the step #1 until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot. (You may need to perform this up to 3 times.)

• After Windows 10 boots into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment (WinRE), you can now access Startup Recovery, Safe
      Mode, and Command Prompt.

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore,
      and then check if you have a restore point.

• In the list of available restore points, choose the date prior to the issue. Steps can be found in this article on
      how to perform a System Restore. Refer to Restore from a system restore point.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS?

1. Windows 10 Restore/Recovery Broke my OS? - Similar Threads - Restore Recovery Broke

2. Windows 10 System Restore and Dell OS Recovery Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 System Restore and Dell OS Recovery Drives: Hi, Should Windows System Protection Restore Points be enabled for the "Image" and "DELLSUPPORT" drives that appear under "Available Drives"? I have also created "Program Files" and "ProgramData" folders on my secondary hard drive to install some larger programs on, should I...
  3. Windows 10 System Restore and Dell OS Recovery Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 System Restore and Dell OS Recovery Drives: Hi, Should Windows System Protection Restore Points be enabled for the "Image" and "DELLSUPPORT" drives that appear under "Available Drives"? I have also created "Program Files" and "ProgramData" folders on my secondary hard drive to install some larger programs on, should I...
  4. Windows 10 System Restore and Dell OS Recovery Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Recovery OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Recovery OS: Hi All,After a recent Windows update, my computer was BitLockered and as it's a newish PC I didn't have the key. I tried all options but in the end had to reinstall Windows and lose all my data. It wouldn't let me install from the PC so I used a USB that had Windows Pro. I...
  6. Windows Recovery OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Recovery OS: Hi All,After a recent Windows update, my computer was BitLockered and as it's a newish PC I didn't have the key. I tried all options but in the end had to reinstall Windows and lose all my data. It wouldn't let me install from the PC so I used a USB that had Windows Pro. I...
  7. Windows Recovery OS

8. Windows OS recovery

Windows OS recovery: I have a Dell inspiron 3442 laptop. It came with a pre-loaded windows 8.1. I upgraded it to windows 10 when an upgrade was available in 2016. But recently during a windows update the OS got corrupted completely so I did OS recovery from dellsupport india website but it...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my OS

Windows 10 update broke my OS: So I decided to do a windows update. I'm using windows 10. After it updated for about 2 hours, it would not boot into the OS. I tried rolling back the update using the BIOS settings but I just keep getting error messages, when I set it to "windows rollback" it just boots back...
  10. Today's Update Broke Me & My OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Today's Update Broke Me & My OS: I am getting some serious issues after rebooting my PC today to install updates! My Service Host DCOM is using g 30+% of my CPU after the reboot and when I click on any windows apps on the task bar nothing happens. I cannot open edge, mail, or the windows start menu and I...