Windows 10: Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection

Discus and support Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As many are aware Microsoft has been shipping out flash drives with installation media on them, and that they are write-protected from the factory. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DeVonDallmann, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection

As many are aware Microsoft has been shipping out flash drives with installation media on them, and that they are write-protected from the factory. I have not seen any other thread with any helpful information on it, so I decided to make my own thread. After tearing down one fo them, I discovered that they use Phison branded chips that are write-protected on a low level. However, this does not mean that it can't be bypassed. There are tools out there that allow you to do a low-level restore of these chips and make it so you can write to them I won't post links because they aren't official in any regard, but I have tried one called Phison Format & Restore from a site called "usbdev", and can confirm it does work. With these tools, you can write to them until you remove them from the host device, meaning you can update the Installation media's version to 2004 or whatever version you desire heck you can put a Linux installer on there if you want. I'd appreciate it if anyone could share any more reputable tools like this one for doing this type of low-level removal of write protection on these flash drives.

:)

DeVonDallmann, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 29, 2020
  3. USB flash drive write protected

How can I remove write protection on a USB flash drive?

Rev. Carl Bowers, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Hanzuku Win User

Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection

Windows 10 retail usb remove write protection

I'm wondering if there's any way to remove the write protection on the retail windows 10 usb, the installed version is out of date and makes ryzen-based systems too unstable to update. I would like to install a more up-to-date version of windows 10, as
    it is otherwise unuseably out-of-date.

Hanzuku, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection

1. Windows 10 Retail Flash Drive Installation Media Removal of Write Protection - Similar Threads - Retail Flash Drive

2. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  3. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  4. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove Media is Write Protected message in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Remove Media is Write Protected message in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When copying files to a USB drive or SD card, if you receive a— Media is Write Protected —message, then this post will help you resolve the problem. The same problem can occur when deleting a file or overwriting a file on the media. What is Write-Protection? Write...
  6. Flash Drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash Drive is write protected: I have a brand new PNY 256gb flash drive. I started to copy files to it and I got the message that it must be formatted before using it. I tried to format it and after a few minutes, I got the following error message: The disk is write protected. I tried SFC/SCAN file and got...
  7. USB Flash drives write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drives write protected: Recently my four USB flash drives were write protected by Windows 10 Pro. I am using a version 2004. How can I removed the write protection. I have tried the DISKPART, REGEDIT, search the net, but to no help. Can anyone help me on this please. [ATTACH] Thank you Ricky...
  8. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  9. USB Flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drive is write protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write protected" error, please? Thanks in advance!...
  10. USB Flash drive is write-protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...